Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gossamer BB30 on CAAD8?

Options
  • 28-02-2017 10:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

Hello! Bottom bracket compatibility question for anyone who might be clued in.

I have a Cannondale CAAD8 with FSA Vero cranks, and an FSA 68mm BSA bottom bracket (according to specs online).

I recently acquired a set of FSA Gossamer BB30 cranks - No chainrings, just the cranks - from a clubmate who doesn't need them anymore.

I have a couple of compatibility questions that I'm having trouble finding answers to online.

1. Will the Gossamer cranks fit my CAAD8's bottom bracket?
    2. I think the chainrings are transferable, as both cranks have a 110 BCD. But is there an issue with Double vs Compact chainrings/cranks.
    3. I think I need a tool for removing/installing the FSA chainrings, but I'm not sure where I'd get one from?
    4. Will the 10/11 speed Gossamer cranks work with a 9spd Sora FD?
    5. How important is a torque wrench in this scenario? I have a torque wrench for low torque items like stems/bars etc, but it doesn't go up to anywhere near 40nm.

Thanks for your time, and any insights you might be able to offer.

And in case anyone is wondering why I want to do this, I'm a short rider, and I'd like to try some shorter cranks.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭youtheman

You can convert from BB30 to FSA 68 mm because the BB30 has a larger diameter so you can fit a converter (sleeve) that essentially reduces the internal diameter.  But you cannot go the other way, because a BB30 will not fit the FSA as the diameter is too large.  But I am open to correction.

What I do know is BB30s don't last very long.  I am lucky to get 6 months out of a set of bearings.  Granted they are cheap and easy to fit, but they should last longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 816 ✭✭✭mp31

AFAIK, you can't fit a BB30 crankset to your CAAD8.

Why do you want shorter cranks?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

youtheman wrote: »
    You can convert from BB30 to FSA 68 mm because the BB30 has a larger diameter so you can fit a converter (sleeve) that essentially reduces the internal diameter.  But you cannot go the other way, because a BB30 will not fit the FSA as the diameter is too large.  But I am open to correction.

What I do know is BB30s don't last very long.  I am lucky to get 6 months out of a set of bearings.  Granted they are cheap and easy to fit, but they should last longer.

You can get bearings to replace the BSA ones that will accommodate a 30mm spindle, but they're not cheap, these start at $90,

http://www.rotorbikeusa.com/products/bsa_bottom_bracket.html

Maybe you might pick up something a bit cheaper on Ebay.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah it looks like I'm flummoxed. I can't fit a BB30 to my frame.

@nilhg, The Rotor BB converter you linked only works for the longer spindled Rotor 3D+ cranks I think?

@mp31, I'm interested in trying shorter cranks because my current cranks feel a bit long, especially when I'm in the drops and I feel like I'm kneeing my own chest. The online fit calculator jobbies recommend a crank length of 161 for me; which is a lot shorter than what I'm running now. The 165mm are the smallest readily available ones I can find.

Advertisement