Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop with false specs

Options
  • 28-02-2017 10:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭

I bought a laptop last week and it was advertised as having 8GB RAM. I didn't check it in the store (stupid of me) and when I came home I saw it only had 4GB RAM.
    I needed the laptop in a hurry for something so I didn't want to take it back.
    Windows 10 Home Edition was installed on it but I wanted to install Windows Server on it as I needed a laptop with this Operating System on it for something urgent.
    I wiped the PC and installed Windows Server on it. It works OK but I would prefer to have the extra 4GB RAM. Do I have any comeback on this?If I take it back will they say "Oh you installed a new Operating System on it so that invalidates the warranty?"
    The price of 4GB RAM is €30 so it isn't that much but still.
    I could actually get away with not showing them the Operating System as I could open the back and show them the single 4GB stick of RAM instead of the advertised 8GB. I think they are advertising other laptops the same as mine as having 8GB RAM too but I presume they only have 4GB also.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,118 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

The operating system is immateriel really. Do you have proof it was supposed to be 8 gb? First step is to speak to the store really. I'm sure if they made mistake, they can sort you out easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭lukin

MarkR wrote: »
    The operating system is immateriel really. Do you have proof it was supposed to be 8 gb? First step is to speak to the store really. I'm sure if they made mistake, they can sort you out easily.

Yeah I have proof: I have the receipt for the lappie and it states 8GB RAM on it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well if the receipt has 8gb then wipe the OS, reinstall win10 and bring it back to them.

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Well if the receipt has 8gb then wipe the OS, reinstall win10 and bring it back to them.

No I am not re-installing Win 10 (I didn't get an install disc anyway). I want to keep Server 2012 on it, that is what I got the laptop for.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

lukin wrote: »
    No I am not re-installing Win 10 (I didn't get an install disc anyway). I want to keep Server 2012 on it, that is what I got the laptop for.

If you plan on keeping it regardless, why are you asking about returning it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,952 ✭✭✭duffman13

If you want your 8gb you'll need to bring it back and do a fresh install on a new laptop. If you want to keep it as is then don't bring it back but you'll be stuck with the 4gb of RAM

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭minion35

Lurkin: Don't make any changes to the OS. I.E reloading windows as the vendor might have a problem with this. Check in the BIOS and make sure it has 4GB listed, then contact who you bought it off. They should ask you to return it and upgrade the memory.

mcgovern wrote: »
    If you plan on keeping it regardless, why are you asking about returning it?

I don't want to return it, I just want the extra 4GB of RAM (or else a refund of the approximate price of 4GB RAM:€30).
    I am not wiping the drive and putting Win10 back on it, it took me ages to install Server 2012 and I had to install SharePoint and SQL 2012 also.
    I am not going through all that again. The fact I have changed the OS does not affect the installed memory, if it says 8GB it should have 8GB.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Well because you have a different OS on it the shop may think you are trying to pull a fast one so if you want it resolved quickly then the above is the option to go with.

jonnycivic wrote: »
    Well because you have a different OS on it the shop may think you are trying to pull a fast one so if you want it resolved quickly then the above is the option to go with.

I'll take my chances with them but putting Win10 back on it is a no-no anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,635 ✭✭✭donegal.

do nothing to it.

take it back. say you've just noticed the lack of ram.

get a new replacement with the correct spec.

reinstall whatever you want on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

While I completely agree the best path is just reinstall and take it back. Win 10 is now a download btw. The OP is entitled to a reduction in price. However if they refuse there is nothing he can do. SmCC procedure is €25.

My concern is there is actually 8gb in there and a bigger problem with the main board.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭28064212

I'll take my chances with them but putting Win10 back on it is a no-no anyway.
    There is every chance that the very first step the shop's repair team will take is wiping the machine. There's also every possibility that if there was a mistake in the specs, they'll just provide you with a brand new machine rather than install more RAM to the current one.

Basically, if you hand your machine over to the shop, there is zero guarantee of them leaving as-is. They will definitely not provide such a guarantee, and their terms and conditions will cover them no matter what happens. All they need to do is provide you with a machine that has the specs you paid for

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

The amount of memory in the machine has nothing to do with the OS, and can be verified in the bios. Don't wipe it unless you are returning it.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I certainly would not reinstall 10 on it. First thing I would do is open it and make look at the RAM, maybe it is simply not seated correctly. Unless its a bugger to get into it. The OP sound likely he would be able to check RAM, you might not even have to take it out if it has it listed on it.

If he had kept win 10 and loaded on loads of stuff and copped the ram was short next week would people still be advising he wipe it completely and reinstall win 10? He does not have to tell them he knew it was short on ram before installing the new OS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

28064212 wrote: »
    There is every chance that the very first step the shop's repair team will take is wiping the machine. There's also every possibility that if there was a mistake in the specs, they'll just provide you with a brand new machine rather than install more RAM to the current one.

Basically, if you hand your machine over to the shop, there is zero guarantee of them leaving as-is. They will definitely not provide such a guarantee, and their terms and conditions will cover them no matter what happens. All they need to do is provide you with a machine that has the specs you paid for

Assuming that the OP has physically checked the amount of RAM and reseated what is present how is reinstalling the OS going to help replacing the RAM that is missing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,663 ✭✭✭✭28064212

my3cents wrote: »
    Assuming that the OP has physically checked the amount of RAM and reseated what is present how is reinstalling the OS going to help replacing the RAM that is missing?
    I never said it would help. You're assuming that the person receiving the laptop is competent and actively trying to protect the data.

In reality, the first support person to look at it is likely to be reading off a script that goes something like this:
    1. Reboot. Check problem. If not fixed:
    2. Restore to factory. Check problem. If not fixed:
    3. Escalate

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭XsApollo

Do not open anything,
    Do not reinstall anything,
    If you want your ram , bring it back to shop.
    I don't think any shop will give you the price difference maybe if it's a small local business, the big stores won't give you anything.
    They will more than likely replace it or refund you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

In reality, the first support person to look at it is likely to be reading off a script .....
    I worked as a first support person in a certain computer manufacturer between 1998 and 1999. In this establishment reading off a script was referred to as "following the process".

Occasionally I was given a stern reprimandfor "not following the process."[/b/

Here's an example:

Person calls to this computer manufacturer's callcentre:

This customer had purchased a computer and epson stylus printer bundle from computer manufacturer.
    Person had successfully installed printer driver on computer with Windows 98 on it - pretty intelligent customer really, as I did have customers calling in tears trying to install printer drivers they had bought. They had also successfully installed the ink cartridges.
    Customer then tried to print a Windows test page - but it came out blank.
    My technical support advice to the customer was to get them to reseat the printer cartridges after removing them and gently tapping each one.
    This resolved the issue and the printer printed for the customer
    ....................TEN MINUTES LATER
    A "Senior Technician" came down to me to GIVE ME A BOLLICKING because:
    I, in <computer manufacturer> techical support AM ONLY SUPPOSED TO INSTALL PRINTER DRIVERS AND NO MORE - ie, not to reseat printer cartridges: because the PROCESS states that for this issue, I had to refer them to Epson uk, ireland etc.

OP, other posters are just trying to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

rubadub wrote: »
    I certainly would not reinstall 10 on it. First thing I would do is open it and make look at the RAM, maybe it is simply not seated correctly. Unless its a bugger to get into it. The OP sound likely he would be able to check RAM, you might not even have to take it out if it has it listed on it.

If he had kept win 10 and loaded on loads of stuff and copped the ram was short next week would people still be advising he wipe it completely and reinstall win 10? He does not have to tell them he knew it was short on ram before installing the new OS

If you open it though and break a seal and find one 4gb stick are you not at risk of the store accusing you of removing the other one it came with?

• Advertisement

I've never seen a seal on a memory compartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

If you are sure laptop has 4gb, bring it with you back to the store, and show them the receipt where it says 8gb. Don't go changing OS again, just for their benefit. You bought the laptop to do with as you please, which includes wiping the pre-installed OS and putting on one of your choice. It is the hardware you have an issue with, not the software, so you want them to bring you up to the spec you purchased, without effecting your software. That should not be an issue for any half competent PC tech. ( verify the deficiency / upgrade )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

I remember the technical support was so bad back then, I mostly wouldn't even bother calling them and didn't buy from the big names for many years. It was so bad, they had to really shake it up. There has been a vast improvement from the crap tech support we had back then. most notably improved from 2008 onwards.

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    I worked as a first support person in a certain computer manufacturer between 1998 and 1999. In this establishment reading off a script was referred to as "following the process".

Occasionally I was given a stern reprimandfor "not following the process."[/b/

Here's an example:

Person calls to this computer manufacturer's callcentre:

This customer had purchased a computer and epson stylus printer bundle from computer manufacturer.
    Person had successfully installed printer driver on computer with Windows 98 on it - pretty intelligent customer really, as I did have customers calling in tears trying to install printer drivers they had bought. They had also successfully installed the ink cartridges.
    Customer then tried to print a Windows test page - but it came out blank.
    My technical support advice to the customer was to get them to reseat the printer cartridges after removing them and gently tapping each one.
    This resolved the issue and the printer printed for the customer
    ....................TEN MINUTES LATER
    A "Senior Technician" came down to me to GIVE ME A BOLLICKING because:
    I, in <computer manufacturer> techical support AM ONLY SUPPOSED TO INSTALL PRINTER DRIVERS AND NO MORE - ie, not to reseat printer cartridges: because the PROCESS states that for this issue, I had to refer them to Epson uk, ireland etc.

OP, other posters are just trying to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Were you given the correct laptop? If so was the 8gb a promo, eg free upgrade to 8gb

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭sunny2004

you could clone the HDD onto an external drive.

Reset the laptop. and return it..

Personally I would call them, tell them they have left you a ram stick short..
    Return it with server on it.. if they complain reformat it and use the cloned drive to reinstall without all the fiddly bits :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,764 ✭✭✭my3cents

I never said it would help. You're assuming that the person receiving the laptop is competent and actively trying to protect the data.

In reality, the first support person to look at it is likely to be reading off a script that goes something like this:
    1. Reboot. Check problem. If not fixed:
    2. Restore to factory. Check problem. If not fixed:
    3. Escalate

When did missing parts become a "Support" issue.

The problem is a Sale of Goods one not a technical issue.

There is definitely only 4GB RAM in it. I took of the back and checked. There are two memory slots; one has a 4GB stick in it and the other is empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

There is definitely only 4GB RAM in it. I took of the back and checked. There are two memory slots; one has a 4GB stick in it and the other is empty.

were they all 8GB, or was the same model sold with 4GB too. I remember a friend got one in work for home use and the ram came in another box inside the main box as it was an upgrade. Since it was bought via work I suppose they thought some IT guy would have no problem installing it.

Sounds like you would have spotted that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

whats the model number on the laptop?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'm not being smart but have you asked them?

Advertisement