Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is a PT necessary if you have no idea what you're doing?

• 28-02-2017 11:08am
    Site Banned Posts: 17

In terms of nutrition and what to do in the gym?

Complete novice here

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I've found it invaluable to be honest. I used to go the gym with a program I got online and it was doing more harm than good, I recognise that now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 185 ✭✭RockSalto

You could research it online, but I'd personally prefer to have a PT lay it out and explain things to you in person over time. So I'd say yes.

There's tons of conflicting info online and it's easy to get disillusioned with it all.

Also, there's more than one way of doing things and a PT will help with what's suited to you in terms of both exercises and nutrition.

• Site Banned Posts: 17 FM Regen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

If you have a lot of time to research then its not. BUT if you want to make progress faster, get the information you need and get a program, diet etc tailored to you then its invaluable.

Even most of the coaches I know rely on other coaches to train them so that they avoid any gaps in their own training. A good PT will train you to a level where you wont need them anymore eg educate and show you what you need to do then just help you update your program to your needs,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

FM Regen wrote: »
    In terms of nutrition and what to do in the gym?

Complete novice here
    PT here - re nutrition do all this - https://www.dominicmunnelly.ie/articles-1/2016/11/13/fat-loss-101-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fat-loss-but-were-afraid-to-ask?rq=fat%20loss

calorie calc and macro calc are included, if unsure just ask, but first off sort out your food quality on your nutrition and work from there.

when you're in the gym - check and work on mobility first, covered here - https://www.dominicmunnelly.ie/articles-1/2016/11/13/improve-your-mobility?rq=mobility

So after youve stretched a bit, foam rolled a little etc get into some body weight movements first and this is the only main area you might need help with eg how to squat, deadlift, push ups, pull ups etc and for core work its detailed here so do the two basic tests first and take it from there

Would be really helpful to get some advice from a trainer first but overall theres move than enough for free above to point you in the right direction.

All the best

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 17 FM Regen

Transform wrote: »
    PT here - re nutrition do all this - https://www.dominicmunnelly.ie/articles-1/2016/11/13/fat-loss-101-everything-you-need-to-know-about-fat-loss-but-were-afraid-to-ask?rq=fat%20loss

calorie calc and macro calc are included, if unsure just ask, but first off sort out your food quality on your nutrition and work from there.

when you're in the gym - check and work on mobility first, covered here - https://www.dominicmunnelly.ie/articles-1/2016/11/13/improve-your-mobility?rq=mobility

So after youve stretched a bit, foam rolled a little etc get into some body weight movements first and this is the only main area you might need help with eg how to squat, deadlift, push ups, pull ups etc and for core work its detailed here so do the two basic tests first and take it from there

Would be really helpful to get some advice from a trainer first but overall theres move than enough for free above to point you in the right direction.

All the best

May I ask where abouts in Sandyford you are based?

Thanks for your reply :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

FM Regen wrote: »
    May I ask where abouts in Sandyford you are based?

Thanks for your reply :)
    click the link in my profile (website is listed), should have enough info there, a conversation outside of the question you asked starts to look like me fishing for business

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

PT's are good for a few things.

1. Motivating you if you are the type of person who needs to be motivated.
    2. Showing you exercises and correct technique
    3. See point 2 if you feel something is wrong and you need someone to help identify it.

If you're a total noob and just want to get the basics down then a few sessions with a PT will set you on the right track.
    Just try and get an idea what you want to get out of the PT sessions because youre going to be asked "what do you want to achieve". Do you want to lose weight, gain weight, become a power lifter, marathon runner, just get a little fitter etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Sorry to hijack the thread but also a complete novice who has noticed the waistline expanding the closer she gets to 30.

I'm wondering how one even goes about getting a PT. Do you need to join a gym first, and then take one of the available trainers there? II'm apprehensive about joining a gym as I am amazing at coming up with excuses not to go...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 205 ✭✭freemenfitness

There are a number of options depending what you want to do.

You can go to a gym and use their trainers
    Go to a specific gym or facility that works around 1 to 1 or small group training
    Find a trainer who works out of a gym independantly or similar
    Look up a trainer who matches your need online and find and train with one online

There are plenty of other options as well it really depends on your preferences, budget etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement