Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental rights

Options
  • 28-02-2017 11:31am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So i was in contact with my LL about property tax letters that hasd arrived and she said i'll probably have to be out in less than a month because the bank is foreclosing, obviously i wish she could have said this sooner, i have been a tenant here for 6ish years, my question is will it be possible to get a longer period of notice or where do i stand?
    I will go to citizen's advice for info but i'm in a huge panic right now so hoping for some answers here.. Sorry if my post is messy.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

You are required to get 84 days notice.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/types_of_tenancy.html#l1715c

As of yet, it doesn't sound like you have been properly served any notice. Stay where you are and do nothing different.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/if_your_landlord_wants_you_to_leave.html

You need at least 24 weeks notice if you're there 6-7 years (20 weeks for 5-6). The reason must be one of the allowed reasons in the RTA. If the bank are repossessing the house they will become your landlord and will be bound by the same tenancy law and your security of tenure. It's likely they will issue notice of termination when they take over but you have no need to leave until you have a valid notice of termination.

It would be prudent to start looking for alternative accommodation now though.

Paulw wrote: »
    You are required to get 84 days notice.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/types_of_tenancy.html#l1715c

As of yet, it doesn't sound like you have been properly served any notice. Stay where you are and do nothing different.

That's the notice a tenant is required to give. Either way, OP, you don't need to leave anytime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I'm guessing the OP's rent payments weren't going off the mortgage. Should the OP continue to pay? How likely is a deposit return?

theteal wrote: »
    I'm guessing the OP's rent payments weren't going off the mortgage. Should the OP continue to pay? How likely is a deposit return?

Stopping paying rent is illegal. Speculating on the non-return of deposit isn't grounds to stop paying rent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Stopping paying rent is illegal. Speculating on the non-return of deposit isn't grounds to stop paying rent.

Realistically though, the OP's deposit is gone

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Don't panic yet. Even if the bank is foreclosing they can't over-ride the law in these cases. You will be able to stay there for the minimum notice period but it's wise to start looking for somewhere else in the meantime.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,211 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Yeah my deposit is gone, but i'll take that on the chin, i will continue paying rent because stopping would put me in the wrong. Notice came via text message so it's not done properly yet. Hoping the bank will give me time or even continue my tenancy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The LL can't surrender to the bank without giving you proper notice. The bank may claim your lease is void and they don't have to honour it.
    http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/news/ireland/article1165306.ece

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

theteal wrote: »

Of course they should, why wouldn't they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

The Landlady might just want you out and is telling lies in the hope of getting you to go voluntarily. Some landlords have even set up companies, registered a charge on a property the landlord owns outright in favour of the company and then told the tenant that the company was enforcing its charge and they would have to leave as the lease had been made in breach of the mortgage.

Advertisement