Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RCD in the Meter Box now required by ESB / Regs?

Options
  • 28-02-2017 11:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi,

I'm moving into a 15 year old house that has been disconnected for over 2 years, so ESB Networks requires that the installation be re-certified.

No major hassle as it has a modern consumer unit.

My question is that the electrician is telling me that the ESB and / or wiring regulations now require that even where an RCD is fitted in the main consumer unit inside that house that an MCB / RCD is also required to be fitted in a consumer unit in the meter box outside the house (he mentioned that it's to allow isolation from outside of an unoccupied house in an emergency)
    The meter box already had an isolating switch fitted.

Does that make sense? It sounds over the top to me...
    My problem is that the electrician is starting to sniff around every light switch and socket and I'm suspicious that he's looking to expand the scope and want to know the facts.

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

The requirement is for an MCB to be fitted in the outdoor cabinet if the cable from the meter to the consumer unit is more than 3mtrs long.

ETCI rules are generally not applied retrospectively unless there is an issue of fundamental safety.

So you're ok to leave it as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 daoirse

Thanks Hoagy,

At a guess, I'd say the run is about 3m, maybe slightly more.
    It's interesting you say that these changes are not usually demanded retrospectively.
    In my situation, where the installation is having to be re-certified following 2 years being disconnected, I would have thought that you wouldn't have to apply retrospectively, but it might be a grey area? Or else, my electrician is, as I suspected looking for a bit of extra work!

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Hoagy wrote: »
    The requirement is for an MCB to be fitted in the outdoor cabinet if the cable from the meter to the consumer unit is more than 3mtrs long.

ETCI rules are generally not applied retrospectively unless there is an issue of fundamental safety.

So you're ok to leave it as is.

Sorry but you are incorrect with your reply
    Esbn are treating this installation as a new connection and therefore it has to be certified as such. A mcb must be installed to protect the 16mm mains cable to the distribution board
    I have already discussed this with Esbn and safe electric

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

daoirse wrote: »
    Thanks Hoagy,

At a guess, I'd say the run is about 3m, maybe slightly more.
    It's interesting you say that these changes are not usually demanded retrospectively.
    In my situation, where the installation is having to be re-certified following 2 years being disconnected, I would have thought that you wouldn't have to apply retrospectively, but it might be a grey area? Or else, my electrician is, as I suspected looking for a bit of extra work!

Thanks again.

I suspect that your electrician is acting diligently and ensuring your installation is safe and up to current standards

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Hoagy

meercat wrote: »
    Sorry but you are incorrect with your reply
    Esbn are treating this installation as a new connection and therefore it has to be certified as such. A mcb must be installed to protect the 16mm mains cable to the distribution board
    I have already discussed this with Esbn and safe electric

Fair enough, I didn't know that, apologies to the OP if I misled him.

How far do they want you go, I wonder.

• Advertisement
Advertisement