Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New traffic layout on Parkmore Road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 merson316

Was sat in KFC just now for lunch and had a great view of the junction. What a mess that was. At least 50% of the traffic is in the wrong lane still. Only sat there for 20 mins and witnessed at least five very near misses from people merging incorrectly after the lights. You'd be insane to cycle in that, if people are struggling to see a car then how are they going to spot a cyclist?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

merson316 wrote: »
    Was sat in KFC just now for lunch and had a great view of the junction. What a mess that was. At least 50% of the traffic is in the wrong lane still. Only sat there for 20 mins and witnessed at least five very near misses from people merging incorrectly after the lights. You'd be insane to cycle in that, if people are struggling to see a car then how are they going to spot a cyclist?

Thanks for posting this observation. Looks like traffic signs need to be added here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭reap-a-rat

They've updated the electronic sign now with "Get In Lane" and a diagram of the correct lanes. The electronic sign is like 10m from the lights though so I'm not sure how helpful it will be at peak times when you have to commit to your lane early. There really should have been more made of this in the media to inform people. Even an email to all the businesses in Parkmore would cut down on those people being in the wrong lane for the most part. Still doesn't help those who don't work in Parkmore but it'd be a start I guess.

I'm mostly in the left lane to go to Oranmore anyway but I've caught all the frantic lane switching to go straight on out of the corner of my eye. It's an accident waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Been in the third lane a few times lately and it's seriously dangerous, no idea if the cars on your left are going to follow the correct left turn or go straight on and maybe crash into you. Lots of people who are clearly locals, heading to Dunnes, still using the second lane and barging on ahead, even beeping and gesturing at people in the correct lane for daring to go straight ahead. Arrows on road are a joke, the left turn arrow in the second lane is just before the lights, and the arrow before that is for straight ahead. System would probably be fine if people followed the correct lanes but it's a serious cock-up with the lack of signage and incorrect road markings. I would hate to be a cyclist trying to use the junction at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 johndeff2017

As I see it Parkmore Brierhill junction needs to cope with 2 sets of phenomenal traffic in the Morning it needs to cater for large volumn of traffic coming in from Carnmore and in the evening the manic traffic from Parkmore into Galway and out the Dublin road..

My suggestion is to to have 2 lanes turning left to Dublin and 2 lanes turning right to Galway and a middle lane going straight onto Ballybrit.

Which means getting rid of the cycle lane in the middle lane.....

There is no need for a cycle lane there is already an under pass to facilitate Cyclists coming from Parkmore to Brierhill. And I sure don't want to see any cyclist getting seriously injured in this mad road configuration that Galway CC presented to us.Would any cyclist be crazy enough to use this middle lane as it stands ?

The extra space for the 5th lane can be got from removing the path or cycle lane on the left hand side as you approach the junction from Carnmore side.How many times have I seen a bike on that side of the road ZERO how many times have I seen a pedestrian on that side of the road ONCE in 3 years Why would there be a need for a cycle lane or path on the left hand side ?

I also sent an email to Galway CC on tuesday on the madness they unleashed last monday ...havent heard anything yet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭ELCAT2009

@reap-a-rat. Well The electronic sign didn't last long as its blank this morning or else they are only trying to get people to use the new lanes in the evening and not the morning!
    So for the last 2 days i have used the new correct lane (ie 3rd lane) to go straight through and the only cars i have seen in the 2nd lane are cars that go straight through. To be honest i'd say half them know tehy are in the wrong lane but have given up trying to use the 3rd lane. The 2nd lane is the most natural fit for straight through and has adds capacity to that junction. Other wise its just a waste of a lane in the morning.
    @johndeff...5 lanes might not be a bad idea if they can make the space but it involves physical works and possible planning permission etc. The council are looking for the quick fix with some paint but im afraid there is no quick fix!

Out of interest Has anybody in Parkmore noticed any improvement in the evenings this week with the new layout?

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭aidan_r

ELCAT2009 wrote: »
    Out of interest Has anybody in Parkmore noticed any improvement in the evenings this week with the new layout?

Yeah, I've noticed a significant improvement since the works were done. It's hard to say if it's solely due to the works though or if there was also some work scheduling changes done or other factors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

ELCAT2009 wrote: »

I think the extended lane on Ballybrit Crescent is a good improvement.

I continue onto the dual carriageway into town so haven't noticed any improvements at the Briarhill junction as the works are to prioritise the backup of Oranmore/Motorway traffic turning left.

Watching the chaos in the 2nd/3rd lane does make the wait at the lights more entertaining though.

The morning traffic coming in from the airport aren't enjoying the new layout...

410765.png

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

J o e wrote: »
    The morning traffic coming in from the airport aren't enjoying the new layout...

Is that any different to a normal day though I wonder?

• Advertisement

Friday is bad day to judge the traffic levels / delays good or bad because its always quieter

Traffic from Carnmore is seriously impacted with major tailbacks in the morning.......sequencing of the lights at Parkmore are more in tune as if it were dealing with major traffic flow coming from Parkmore Industrial Est where in the morning it should be the reverse with major traffic coming from Carnmore

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

J o e wrote: »
    I haven't cycled it yet - but yes I'd just get in the middle of the correct lane and ignore the cycle lane.

I cycled through it yesterday evening. It's OK, just need to be wary of traffic on your left. Getting into the lane @ the Parkmore road junction is a bit more complex. Junction now is really only suitable for very experienced cyclists.

I avoid underpass as it is usually littered with glass and the odd burnt out car.

One of these would be nice here
    https://bicycledutch.wordpress.com/2012/08/23/spectacular-new-floating-cycle-roundabout/

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭hoody

aidan_r wrote: »
    Yeah, I've noticed a significant improvement since the works were done. It's hard to say if it's solely due to the works though or if there was also some work scheduling changes done or other factors.

Yep, I've noticed a huge difference also, particularly in the evenings. Would agree that it's difficult to attribute it solely to the new road layout but it has reduced the time I spend getting from the back of Parkmore West through Briarhill junction from 30 minutes down to less than 10. Definitely don't envy cyclists having to navigate through the new layout though!

So I got a reply this eve from council with attached link. http://www.galwaycity.ie/news/645/59/Parkmore-Access-Improvement-Project-Update/

Is there any control of the lights in Parkmore.....Carnmore traffic was backed upto the airport again.
    Was sitting at the Parkmore lights this morning and the sequencing of the lights is still set for evening time traffic.
    Knock on effect is that Carrnmore traffic have to wait for 2 light sequences to acess the Brierhill junction because the Brierhill junction has completely backed up, back to Parkmore junction.
    Thats all traffic from Carnmore cant actually move if they are trying to access Brierhill through that Parkmore junction.Crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 5,920 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Coming out of Parkmore this morning and turning right at the lights to go into town was a mess, every time the lights went green I could not go because the cars heading straight to join the dual carriageway were blocking me because the lights were red for them, it took three light changes before I was able to turn right.:mad::mad::mad:

Im afraid while this new layout is place there will be delays in the morning on either the airport road coming in or on the parkmore because the bulk of the traffic at briarhill is either going straight through towards dunnes or turning right on to the N6. Previously lanes 2, 3 & 4 were used to accommodate this but now, only lanes 3 and 4 are marked for straight on or right so traffic is going to back up. 3 doesn't go into 2 very well!
    I suggest emailing Galway City council transportation unit to flag your concerns as i have. They have told me they will be carrying out a review of these short term measures in the coming weeks to see how effective they have been. Only with feed back from users, will things change.

Please see the response below received from the Executive Engineer in GTU:

As you may have seen the VMS at Briarhill is now working and has information on the new layout which should provide clarity at the junction. The completion of the anti-skid surfacing, cycle lane and additional road markings has been delayed due to inclement weather. These markings will be completed over the next few nights weather permitting.

Due to the volumes of traffic turning left during the pm peak an additional left turning lane is required to accommodate this traffic mainly coming from the Parkmore area. The second lane cannot be marked as left and straight ahead as the left turn filter comes in prior to the full green phase for Monivea Road.

We will be carrying out a review of these short term measures over the coming weeks to examine the effectiveness of the measures.”

• Advertisement

Please see the response below received from the Executive Engineer in GTU:

As you may have seen the VMS at Briarhill is now working and has information on the new layout which should provide clarity at the junction. The completion of the anti-skid surfacing, cycle lane and additional road markings has been delayed due to inclement weather. These markings will be completed over the next few nights weather permitting.

Due to the volumes of traffic turning left during the pm peak an additional left turning lane is required to accommodate this traffic mainly coming from the Parkmore area. The second lane cannot be marked as left and straight ahead as the left turn filter comes in prior to the full green phase for Monivea Road.

We will be carrying out a review of these short term measures over the coming weeks to examine the effectiveness of the measures.”

That's pretty much word for word what they sent me last Friday afternoon. I emailed them again this morning to tell them their vms wasn't working Fri or this morning. The markings on the ground don't match their drawing on their website either. In the 2nd lane there is an arrow pointing straight about 10m from the lights even though on their drawing it shows all arrows on this lane as left turn!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

And still there is no indication in any signage of what lane you're meant to be in coming from Parkmore, heading straight through Briarhill.
    It's not on their pdf of the changes and not anywhere on signs or road markings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Traffic coming from Carnmore\Monivea has been seriously negatively impacted by this change. Was not even moving this morning around 9am with most people turning back to use the motorway.

I'm guessing the lights are sequenced in a way that has the Western Motors lights green the same time as the Briarhill (Dunnes) light green. When the Dunnes lights go red the Parkmore traffic fills the lanes leaving no room for the Carnmore traffic when their light turns green.

Total nightmare. Do they consciously want the Carnmore\Monivea traffic to use the motorway?

Let me throw in another few of these guys...:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

Wombatman wrote: »
    Traffic coming from Carnmore\Monivea has been seriously negatively impacted by this change. Was not even moving this morning around 9am with most people turning back to use the motorway.

I'm guessing the lights are sequenced in a way that has the Western Motors lights green the same time as the Briarhill (Dunnes) light green. When the Dunnes lights go red the Parkmore traffic fills the lanes leaving no room for the Carnmore traffic when their light turns green.

Total nightmare. Do they consciously want the Carnmore\Monivea traffic to use the motorway?

Let me throw in another few of these guys...:mad::mad::mad::mad:

The good people of Carnmore/Monivea are getting serious short shrift with the new layout and light sequence. I guess there are much bigger rates receipts from Parkmore than there are from Carnmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

ronnie3585 wrote: »
    The good people of Carnmore/Monivea are getting serious short shrift with the new layout and light sequence. I guess there are much bigger rates receipts from Parkmore than there are from Carnmore.

I sent a strongly worded email to CC. I suggest more on here from Carnmore/Monivea side do the same with subject "Parkmore Access Improvement Project".

From the email I received it looks like the only thing preventing the 2nd lane being used for straight on is the light sequencing at Brierhill. Surely it can't be a big job to change the light sequence to allow all traffic to go on green left to Dublin (+ straight on Ballybrit) Lane 1+2 (L to R) and 2 lanes 3+4 (L to R) to go right into Galway.

Could the absence of a traffic light controller be preventing a workable solution here ( or elsewhere) ?
    FYI email address to City council roads division ....roads@galwayciy.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 13,411 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I drove by a few minutes ago and lanes 1 & 2 were blocked off by cones. Not sure what work was being carried out though.

They are putting down the anti-skid surface at night time. Seems to be an awful lot of loose material / gravel coming off it though which ironically seems like it would make cars or bikes in particular skid easier! I think it could do with a rub of the road sweeper.
    I note that they have covered over the arrow in the 2nd lane which was marked for straight though with the new anti skid surface so there are now less arrows on the road.
    Also finally this morning the VMS sign is working and shows which lane you should be in, not that cars are paying any attention to it now....its too late. I think this junction is officially messed up and no amount of markings or signs will stop some vehicles using the 2nd lane to go straight through. If it had been sign posted correctly and publicsed sufficiently in advance, there was some chance of cars using the correct lanes but not now in my view. Cars coming in from carnmore and parkmore are fed up also in the morning of lights going green and lanes 3 and 4 being full so they cant move while lane 2 is empty. The only cars i see using lane 2 in the morning are cars going straight through.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The electronic sign is far too close to the lights, cars are already in lane 2 wrongly before they can read the sign. The only way to keep lane 2 for left only would be to install a curved traffic island to guide cars left and block access to Briarhill.

Would there be any way of having 2 lanes for left only in the evening, when Parkmore is emptying, and 1 lane in the morning, when traffic from Carnmore direction is heading to town and needs more lanes?

• Advertisement

Zzippy wrote: »

Would there be any way of having 2 lanes for left only in the evening, when Parkmore is emptying, and 1 lane in the morning, when traffic from Carnmore direction is heading to town and needs more lanes?

I was wondering this too. Only way i could see it would be to have an electronic overhead gantry with lane directional signage that can change for differnet times of the day. I remember seeing something similar in Melbourne 10 years ago where the middle lane of a 5 lane road would change direction to suit rush hour in the morning or evening ie 2 permanent lanes in and 2 permanent lanes out with middle lane changing direction (illuminated by over head electronic gantry ever couple of hundred meters) depending on traffic.

Advertisement