Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New traffic layout on Parkmore Road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Apparently this new light sequence at the Brierhill lights are a bit of a disaster if coming from the motorway direction. Noticed the queue to turn for Parkmore was longer and I certainly had a longer wait to go straight on.

AA roadwatch showed a queue back to the N18 on both dual carriageways.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Craftylee

Coming from Doughiska this morning around 8am, there was literally zero queue all the way to the Briarhill junction. First time I've noticed that outside of a bank holiday :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 182 ✭✭rabjoshu

AA roadwatch showed a queue back to the N18 on both dual carriageways.
    Galway is so popular. Motorway inbound to Coolagh roundabout
    C76dTrsXgAAEbxQ.jpg:small

• Registered Users Posts: 20 johndeff2017

I used that junction this Morning 8;45 here are my observations

Galway City to Brierhill (N6) Major increase in traffic build up very slow- WORSE

Carnmore to Parkmore junction Major tailbacks had t wait 3 light changes to access Brierhill lights WORSE

Parkmore to Parkmore junction NO TRAFFIC AT ALL junction completely cleared out by 9am

Monivea Road from Ballybrit to Brierhill NO TRAFFIC at all junction completely cleared out by 9am NEVER SEEN THIS BEFORE

Finally N6 Dublin Road to Galway BOTH LANES choked back up to the Oranmore slip road.

Galway clinic to N6 roundabout BOTH LANES backed up to the Galway clinic and probably beyond.

No one from the City council roads division to be seen or monitoring the effects ( in fairness they would probably get loads of abuse :mad: )

• Advertisement

No one from the City council roads division to be seen or monitoring the effects ( in fairness they would probably get loads of abuse :mad: )
    Don't they have cameras atop poles at the junctions?

I could be wrong but I don't think they have them at Brierhill .......would still feel they would get a better appreciation of the issues if they was a representative of the roads divison were present as there were so many knock on effects of the light changes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,967 ✭✭✭what_traffic

The most significant point is that a massive 75% of people working in Parkmore live east of there. Only 15% come from the west of the city, and another 5% from the rural hinterland to the west.

This makes me think that the often-mentioned direct bus from Knocknacarra is actually a red-herring: even if half of the people living in the west of the city used the bus (a very ambitious target) it would make chump-change difference to the overall traffic levels. Bus lanes that facilitate regular buses from Loughrea / Athenry / Oranmore / Tuam .. would likely make a much bigger difference.

This is the reason why they have changed the junction at Brierhill - it is to facilitate all the private motorists who are heading Eastbound. If regular buses were run from the major towns of East Galway probably would have a greater impact. Would need to reduce the vast amount of car parking in Parkmore to incentivise this though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Hard to know if the traffic this morning was due to light sequence changes or the bus strike...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

It seems to have been a problem with the configuration of the Briarhill lights after all according to connacht tribune.
    http://connachttribune.ie/city-council-says-it-has-resolved-communications-failure-at-briarhill-junction/
    Hopefully the dual carriageways wont be backed up to oranmore again tomorrow now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

Bus lanes that facilitate regular buses from Loughrea / Athenry / Oranmore / Tuam .. would likely make a much bigger difference.

theoretically yes but I reckon the companies and local authorities would have to incentivise drivers to use buses.... there's an ignored bias/snobbery in this country when using buses... like there's something poor and communistic about it, dunno.... just think if you laid on luxury buses even every 10 mins people would still vote to drive single-occupancy, unless they saw a monthly benefit in the paycheck/ bar tab

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭randomname2005

jkforde wrote: »
    theoretically yes but I reckon the companies and local authorities would have to incentivise drivers to use buses.... there's an ignored bias/snobbery in this country when using buses... like there's something poor and communistic about it, dunno.... just think if you laid on luxury buses even every 10 mins people would still vote to drive single-occupancy, unless they saw a monthly benefit in the paycheck/ bar tab

There is an incentive - the tax saver scheme. It is already in place for the Athenry to Galway bus (which stops in Parkmore) so should be available for additional routes (should!).
    Local authorities would need to incentivise companies to create routes by providing secure car parking for all as people in Loughrea/Craughwell/Athenry/etc areas realistically need to drive to the town centre to get the bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Was in a tail back from the start of the Ballybrit Crescent on the Tuam road side to Briarhill junction for 30mins this morning from 8:45.
    Google maps was telling me the Monivea road was backed up as usual but the dual carriage way and motor way were clear.

Scruff wrote: »
    Was in a tail back from the start of the Ballybrit Crescent on the Tuam road side to Briarhill junction for 30mins this morning from 8:45.
    Google maps was telling me the Monivea road was backed up as usual but the dual carriage way and motor way were clear.
    Like wise I was on the Monivea road and it took 20 + min to go from the Brierhill school to the Brierhill junction .....

Bus Strike may be having an impact but ...as it stands it looks like the only change made from last week was to make it worse for both Parkmore Ind Est & Monivea Road the 2 roads that were suppose to benefit from the change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭snowstreams

I noticed that the briarhill junction was completely clear by 9 coming from the motorway direction but that google maps did say that the Monivea road was completely backed up.
    Maybe a better plan would be to divert traffic from the monivea road onto the motorway at oranmore and increase through put through briarhill junction that way.

I noticed that the briarhill junction was completely clear by 9 coming from the motorway direction but that google maps did say that the Monivea road was completely backed up.
    Maybe a better plan would be to divert traffic from the monivea road onto the motorway at oranmore and increase through put through briarhill junction that way.
    That's what the GTU person said on the radio this morning. They want people to stop using side roads & rat runs and go on the main routes to order for the traffic to flow better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Like wise I was on the Monivea road and it took 20 + min to go from the Brierhill school to the Brierhill junction .....

Bus Strike may be having an impact but ...as it stands it looks like the only change made from last week was to make it worse for both Parkmore Ind Est & Monivea Road the 2 roads that were suppose to benefit from the change.

Its hard to see how the lane layout change from Ballybrit crescent lights to Briarhill lights benefit these roads in the morning as they have effectively reduced the right turn onto the dual carriage way from 2 to 0.25 lanes!
    they need a CPO on a chunk of that vacant lot to provide a dedicated full right hand turn onto the dual carriage way from the Monivea road side imo.
    That might work as long as they just increased the light time west bound & parkmore bound otherwise the east bound traffic would cause the motorway to back up

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

There is an incentive - the tax saver scheme. It is already in place for the Athenry to Galway bus (which stops in Parkmore) so should be available for additional routes (should!).

That only works for companies that have signed up to the scheme though. Some refuse to.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Hear the Tuam Rd was backed up from city out to McHughs pub this morning, and Parkmore hill was completely backed up down to the Tuam Rd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭joeKel73

Scruff wrote: »
    Its hard to see how the lane layout change from Ballybrit crescent lights to Briarhill lights benefit these roads in the morning as they have effectively reduced the right turn onto the dual carriage way from 2 to 0.25 lanes!

2 to 1.5 surely? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Parkmore n6 right turn extension plan to go to tender.
    http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/93538/parkmore-n6-right-turn-extension-plans-go-to-tender-says-naughton
    Anyone have an image/plan of this please?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Just to add further to the traffic issues.
    Work has officially begun on a major ‘Advance Office’ facility at Parkmore.

Galway is one of six locations nationwide selected for an IDA Ireland advance manufacturing and office facility.

The 45 thousand square foot building will be located at the IDA Parkmore East Business Park.

Builders are now on site and the project is expected to be completed by May next year.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Meeeee79

How many more people are going to be working in this massive building? Work has begun and expected to be finished May next year while the traffic issue has been on going for a long time and not a sniff of any advanced works even beginning. The mind boggles....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

That'll really help the traffic!

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭NTC

Just to add further to the traffic issues.
    Work has officially begun on a major ‘Advance Office’ facility at Parkmore.

Galway is one of six locations nationwide selected for an IDA Ireland advance manufacturing and office facility.

The 45 thousand square foot building will be located at the IDA Parkmore East Business Park.

Builders are now on site and the project is expected to be completed by May next year.

I got to ask, but what is an "Advance Office"?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,950 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

NTC wrote: »
    I got to ask, but what is an "Advance Office"?

Place being built by thw IDA in advance of being let ... as far as I can tell from that article.

I'd guess they got planning permission years ago before the traffic issue got such prominence, and need to build before it lapses.

Place being built by thw IDA in advance of being let ... as far as I can tell from that article.

I'd guess they got planning permission years ago before the traffic issue got such prominence, and need to build before it lapses.

Ahhhhhh, ok. I am working beside the building work and was interested in who was going in there. At least it will be empty for now.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

There's been a sign up beside the bus stop for a good while now regarding planning permission.

Edit: nvm is a site application by Merit Medical to add 442 m².

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭jkforde

anyone know when all the sprayed survey markings were made on the Parkmore road footpaths.. up at Spar and at the roundabout is where I've noticed them.. are they recent?

🌦️ 6.7kwp, 45°, SSW, mid-Galway 🌦️

• Advertisement

jkforde wrote: »
    anyone know when all the sprayed survey markings were made on the Parkmore road footpaths.. up at Spar and at the roundabout is where I've noticed them.. are they recent?

I think they are there a few months. They are at the roundabout also.

Advertisement