Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Storm damage to rented stables - repair time

Options
  • 28-02-2017 1:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

during last weeks Storm the roof of a hay shed( not included in my lease but owned by my LL) was lifted off and smashed through the back wall of my stables (rented and included in the lease). The damage is significant, and stable can't be used as  a stable anymore.Further more the condition of the stable is now such that if another storm comes it will lift the whole roof. (it's galvanized iron sheeting). I informed the LL in the morning of last Thursday of the issue and send a few pics I had. They came back saying it's not that bad but a contractor would come over that day and look at it. Had a terrible time (and had to resort to googling the name of the contractor) getting his contact details as I will not allow anyone on my property without supervision as there are Big and - at times nervous - horses on the property.I would be liable for any damage or injury. LL (actually his son as he has taken over handling the tenancy due to his fathers serious illness)would not give me the details. Just to let you know what the relationship is like currently. The contractor confirmed what I had estimated ( thats f***ed) and reported that back to the LL. I'm just wondering how long it should take to have it repaired? The stable basically needs a new back-wall.  cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

how long is a piece of string?

Making structural repairs isn't a quick job ..especially if it is done right. Your LL has had a contractor over to see the work and the LL will need to engage him. Maybe get a couple of prices from different contractors.

Then there will be the wait for the contractor to have availability to do the work - decent tradesmen are not sitting around waiting on a call to start a job .. some could have months of work lined up.

What I am getting at is about a reasonable time frame .. a couple of weeks would be reasonable to me

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If the landlord was in the humour of doing it, you'd put up a wall in two days. A couple of days to dry and give it a plaster.
    Is the roof salvageable?
    If the landlord is waiting for an insurance accessor to come out, etc,etc, it could drag on longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    If the landlord was in the humour of doing it, you'd put up a wall in two days. A couple of days to dry and give it a plaster.
      Is the roof salvageable?
    If the landlord is waiting for an insurance accessor to come out, etc,etc, it could drag on longer.
    No, without the wall the next big storm will take the roof. I've secured it with chain but the part where it's secured is not the mast strong..a storm like Doris will end it.The location of the stable is very close to the main house and I'm weary if the roof comes of it will land on the mainhouse causing more damage- depending on the wind direction. I just can't believe they'd drag their feet on this. Would I be entitled to rent deduction if the repairs draw out longer than +/- 2 weeks/ i can't use the stable anymore...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If I was the LL I'd knock the stables, it would save me a lot of hassle. Can't be much money in it for them, his father is sick that's what he'll focus on not you and your horses. How easy can you make his life, what ever it takes do it.

If I was the LL I'd knock the stables, it would save me a lot of hassle. Can't be much money in it for them, his father is sick that's what he'll focus on not you and your horses. How easy can you make his life, what ever it takes do it.
    lol - you're funny. He's charging premium rent and will email me if I am 5 euro off (happened one, typo) within 2 hours.
    He can focus on cash alright with no bother. he's in breach on the tenancy act if he doesn't repair the stables as the lease says rent for stables very clearly.he has been making my life miserable and hard ever since his father got ill so I'm sorry - just returning the favor.

• Advertisement

The header basically covers it. last week my landlords son accessed my stable yard (horses in stables and a dog loose on the property (securely fenced) without permission and announcement. I only found out because he made some adjustments to a fencing that I didn't make and neither did my OH.
    Today the same thing happened again - I only found out when a colleague came into my office saying his brother was contacted by a third party contractor who was trying to access my (locked and blocked) yard to make a delivery to repair storm damage I had reported to my landlord. I have horses in stables and a 35 kg dog loose in the yard.
    I had sent an official announcement to them last week to refrain from doing this. yet, it has happened again.
    I think it's time to escalate this issue to the RTB. Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Since this is so closely linked to your previous thread I have merged it.

I think this is complicated by the fact that there are several buildings in close proximity, some of which are rented by you and some of which are not. The storm damage affected both sets of buildings and I don't know the layout of the property. Does someone need to get through the yard to do rectification works?

Hi Michael,
    in fact all outbuildings are mentioned in the lease, except the old cowshed down the hill - it was taken out I don't need it.
    The the property consists of a bungalow, a yard behind it (with a lane down to the land) and a set of 3 1/2  stables. Kind of arranged in a square. The stable is covered in my lease, the old cowshed is not.
    In order to access the damaged stable one has to go through the yard.In order to bring up repair materials the yard must be accessed.The house is also accessible from the yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I would think that reporting him to the RTB is unlikely to speed up repair to the stables.
    He might feel that the repairs should be put on hold until the case is heard.
    In about a years time ..........

Actually, the issue is not the repair time anymore - it's the fact that he keeps accessing the yard/house without permission.

• Advertisement

You want it fixed in a rush yet you complain when he accesses.

If I want something fixed I tell the LL to let himself in whenever he wants or if I need to leave out a key for a few days for work men then no problem (no different at home
    On the farm).

Unless your dog is dangerous (in which case you should tie him or lock him in a shed until the work is done) I don't see the issue. Having work men call with farm animals around is normal, happens on every farm in the country.

Let them fix it and if you go to the RTB expect this to take months extra.

The dog is a risk. Every dog unsupervised is a risk - thats' why the yard is fully secured and the animal in question can't get out.Access was tried un announced. dog was not locked in. I have no problem letting him or workmen into the yard if I know UPFRONT and can make sure there is no risk to anyone. However, accessing the property without notification is a breach of the tenancy act- let alone could make me liable. is it so wrong to expect to be notified when someone wants to access your home? seems to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Do you want them to turn around and say they are breaking your lease because the place is no longer suitable for you use / needs due to a change in circumstances, aka the loss of the barns due to storm damage. If not move the animals out for a month so that they can fix it.

They aren't going into your house they are going into the yard to fix something for you.

The LL is sick he son has just enough time to help him keep the place ticking over - he doesn't need you making his life any harder. If I were him I'd give notice to quit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

The dog is a risk. Every dog unsupervised is a risk - thats' why the yard is fully secured and the animal in question can't get out.Access was tried un announced. dog was not locked in. I have no problem letting him or workmen into the yard if I know UPFRONT and can make sure there is no risk to anyone. However, accessing the property without notification is a breach of the tenancy act- let alone could make me liable. is it so wrong to expect to be notified when someone wants to access your home? seems to be.

If it's an emergency repair as you claim then he doesn't need to give you notice.

His insurance should also cover emergency repairs to prevent further damage.

It's a fixed term lease. But I'm not going t defend my stance here any further.there is a lot of history here in which i have paid things the LL needs to pay, where I had to pay contractors  cause they wouldn't work directly for the LL cause he takes 3-5 months to pay them and the stuff needed repair. AND after that I had to fight with him to get my money back.Where it took 4 weeks to repair a heating system in the middle of winter and I incurred ESB bill of 738 euro cause I had to use electrical heaters - never said a word to him because he was ill. I've been more than patient and accomodating. And please - don't even think the idea of him threatening to cancel the lease impresses me one bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Thoughts?

Honestly I would be looking at daft.ie

You want this stable replaced ASAP. But only at the times at suit you and when you are there. I would some what understand that if it was your house, but it is a stable on the property away from the house.

It has been a few days when you don't sound you have particularly flexible and you want to know when you can start deducting rent? You already have a bad relationship with the landlord.

You should you have been more than patient and accommodating, but you don't particularly sound it in my opinion eg one unannounced visit to stables and you want to report it to the RTB.

You can't expect this stable to be repaired quickly when it is on your terms and when it suits you...

Advertisement