Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking a leap of faith to switch jobs

Options
  • 28-02-2017 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been working for a year in my current school and the principal has just offered me almost full hours for next year. She wants me to respond to her offer this month though, so that, according to her, if I'm not taking the job, she can advertise it early to get the best candidates before other schools do!

The complicating factor is that my partner is working, for at least the next few years, on the other side of the country and I had therefore considered looking for a job there to be able to move in with him again.

Ideally, I'd accept the offer at my current school while job hunting over the Summer, so that I have something to fall back on if I don't find anything else over the Summer. This doesn't seem to be an option with my principal though.

So now I'm wondering if I want to move, do I have to take a leap of faith, turn down my job offer here and hope that something comes up for me in the same city as my partner? I really don't know what to do!

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Aufbau

Aquals wrote: »
    Hi,
    Ideally, I'd accept the offer at my current school while job hunting over the Summer, so that I have something to fall back on if I don't find anything else over the Summer.
    Do exactly this.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Aquals wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been working for a year in my current school and the principal has just offered me almost full hours for next year. She wants me to respond to her offer this month though, so that, according to her, if I'm not taking the job, she can advertise it early to get the best candidates before other schools do!

The complicating factor is that my partner is working, for at least the next few years, on the other side of the country and I had therefore considered looking for a job there to be able to move in with him again.

Ideally, I'd accept the offer at my current school while job hunting over the Summer, so that I have something to fall back on if I don't find anything else over the Summer. This doesn't seem to be an option with my principal though.

So now I'm wondering if I want to move, do I have to take a leap of faith, turn down my job offer here and hope that something comes up for me in the same city as my partner? I really don't know what to do!

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Of course it's an option. Take the job. Keep searching on the other side of the country. If nothing comes up, you still have a job. If you move, the principal will just have to find another teacher. Happens all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭Aquals

Thanks for the advice - I've had a few days to think about it and you're both absolutely right.

The only thing I'm wondering now is what to do about a reference from my current school. How can I put my current principal down as a reference if she thinks I'm committed to staying where I am?

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭strawberrie

I've been on teaching interview panels and the guidance we are given is that you are only to contact the referees of the successful candidate at interview.
    In practice this can often be ignored though so it is a risk. Your current principal is the one future employers will want to speak to.

Advertisement