Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Requesting landlord to retain room for me.

Options
  • 28-02-2017 2:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭

I'm looking for some advice regarding a request I have for my landlord.

Next year I will be studying abroad, meaning that I won't require accommodation in Dublin. However the system in the country which I will be studying in is structured quite differently in terms of when the academic year begins and ends.

In short, I would have about 3 weeks to find accommodation in Dublin for my final year of college after returning from my year abroad. This isn't enough time and commuting isn't possible given where I'm from. I plan to ask my current landlord to reserve my room next year while I'm abroad so that I have accommodation guaranteed for my final year of university. I would obviously pay the rent on the room while I am abroad but not actually physically ever be in the room (as I'd be abroad obviously).

Is this an unreasonable request to make? Would the landlord refuse me? The rent would still be paid and I am never late or short when paying rent and I have never caused any issues as a tenant. Is there any chance of the landlord taking advantage of my position or should I be relatively sure that this will work? (if my landlord agrees to it).

Thank you very much for any advice and help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Sooo. Your just renting as normal...
    Why would there be an issue if your not in it.
    Landlord still gets what he wants and actually there is less wear and tear on the room.

I wouldnt foresee a problem.

Dont bring it to him as an issue, just say I'll be away for a while but will still be renting the room.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Problem?

You sound like the dream tenant. Pays rent, but not there.
    You can rent my house if you like:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

Are you renting a room in the landlord's home?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,599 ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

If you are willing to pay the rent as normal I'm sure the landlord would be delighted to do this for you. However some property insurance have terms that the property isn't covered for certain types of damage if the property is vacant so I would be sure to run this by the landlord before you move out for the year.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭Solomon Pleasant

Are you renting a room in the landlord's home?

No it's not his own home, he just rents the house out to (mostly) students.

• Advertisement

Thank you all for your inputs. Would be good if I didn't have to pay rent on a room for a year that I won't be using, however given the current housing situation in Dublin I don't have a lot of choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,360 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Sounds like absolute madness to me.
    What will you have spent on rent over the non use period?
    How long will you be staying once you return?
    Sounds like you have other options besides paying for an empty room.

I'd sit down with the landlord, explain your plan, tell him you will definitely be back in Sept 2018 for your final academic year and would love your room back then. He might be delighted to have someone he already knows and trusts ear marked down for the room. I wouldn't be volunteering paying rent for a year for a room you won't be using. It guarantees you nothing but a lower bank balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭Tiddlypeeps

Thank you all for your inputs. Would be good if I didn't have to pay rent on a room for a year that I won't be using, however given the current housing situation in Dublin I don't have a lot of choice.

Your plan is essentially doubling your rent for the second year, as you are paying for a year you won't use in order to ensure your place for the second. Your rent could at the moment be so cheap that it's worth it, but you should probably do a search to see what the market is like for that price range and you might find there are more options.

You also can't ignore the possibility the landlord will up the rent in the second year making it unaffordable meaning you have wasted a years worth of rent for no reason.

Without numbers it's impossible to say, but unless you have really cheap rent at the moment it's probably not going to be worth it.

I'd sit down with the landlord, explain your plan, tell him you will definitely be back in Sept 2018 for your final academic year and would love your room back then. He might be delighted to have someone he already knows and trusts ear marked down for the room. I wouldn't be volunteering paying rent for a year for a room you won't be using. It guarantees you nothing but a lower bank balance.

This is all well and good but he will easily fill the room for the year that I am abroad and there is a problem if the tenant who replaces me wants to stay. I could request that he offers the room on a one year contract but it sounds difficult and as a student I'm not really in a position where I can make these demands. The landlord holds the power, in my opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Your housemates may not be keen on the idea though, if it means they have to pay a higher share of the utilities.

How are the electricity etc bills handled?

Will you be coming back and using the room for occasional holidays etc?

Your housemates may not be keen on the idea though, if it means they have to pay a higher share of the utilities.

How are the electricity etc bills handled?

Will you be coming back and using the room for occasional holidays etc?

Electricity is calculated per room so each person pays covers their own and the landlord covers the rest of the house so I can't see an issue occurring there. Internet connection is also covered by the landlord.

No I wouldn't imagine so, anytime time I come back to Ireland it'll be back home to my family and not Dublin!

mickdw wrote: »
    Sounds like absolute madness to me.
    What will you have spent on rent over the non use period?
    How long will you be staying once you return?
    Sounds like you have other options besides paying for an empty room.

Altogether it will cost me 5400€ for the year that I am abroad.

I'll be using it for my final year of college and possibly after I graduate.

It may well sound like madness but I'll only have 3 weeks after I return to find accommodation in Dublin. That's not an easy task, particularly when you throw the fact I'm a student into the equation. 4th year will be tough and I need the guarantee of somewhere solid to live and study effectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I think you would be mad op. As has been stated there is nothing stopping the landlord turfing you out at the end of the year/ rising the price next year meaning you have lost the money. Would it be posssible to fly home for a weekend a month or 2 before you finish up abroad and have viewings arranged. Realistically you could offer up to €10800 for somewhere in the second year and still be no worse off.

I would approach the landlord and tell him you will be gone for the year but would like the room next year. Maybe offer to pay €100 a month over the current rent for the final year for the inconvenience, you'd still save thousands of euros

I think you would be mad op. As has been stated there is nothing stopping the landlord turfing you out at the end of the year/ rising the price next year meaning you have lost the money. Would it be posssible to fly home for a weekend a month or 2 before you finish up abroad and have viewings arranged. Realistically you could offer up to €10800 for somewhere in the second year and still be no worse off.

I would approach the landlord and tell him you will be gone for the year but would like the room next year. Maybe offer to pay €100 a month over the current rent for the final year for the inconvenience, you'd still save thousands of euros

The landlord turfing me out or raising the price was what I was referring to in my original post in terms of being taken advantage of due to my position. And yes I see your point. Flying home to view possible rooms would not be ideal for a number of reasons. First of all there's no guarantee I would actually get any of the places I go to view. Secondly, I viewed places all over Dublin last summer and it's horribly difficult to get somewhere to live, especially as a student. Getting accommodation sorted is head wrecking stuff and it's an issue I do want to worry about particularly for 4th year as I know it'll be intense. I also really like where I live now and would be disappointed to lose it as it's very close to my university.

I could do as you say and offer an extra 100 euro per month in final year for the inconvenience but there's no guarantee of him actually giving me the room in 4th year and I could be screwed over. I should mention that there is a policy that they do give tenants first choice on the room for the next year, so by me not taking the room it would leave me at a disadvantage unless I agree differently with the landlord. I view paying for the room while abroad as my safest and most secure option which is why I would be inclined to opt for that option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I would definitely have a word with the landlord first and see what options he gives. Don't offer to pay for the year straight away and see what he comes back with. As I've said you can effectively afford to pay double the rent in 4th year so even though the market is tight you will have huge negotiating power

Any of your housemates starting their final year next year? You could take their room if so. You're just not guaranteed the room even if you pay the rent for the coming year. The landlord increasing the rent is the least of your worries. He could sell up and keep your rent for an empty room. He could rent out the room and earn double for the year and keep the tenant on. Your house mates could rent out the room and pocket the money and keep the tenant on. The locks could be changed when you get back and all knowledge of you denied. If any of those things happen you'll be more screwed starting a search from scratch so late by the time you find out and be down all that money. It's just too risky imo. That years rent will more than cover accommodation while in limbo finding somewhere to stay if you can't line something up in advance.

Any of your housemates starting their final year next year? You could take their room if so. You're just not guaranteed the room even if you pay the rent for the coming year. The landlord increasing the rent is the least of your worries. He could sell up and keep your rent for an empty room. He could rent out the room and earn double for the year and keep the tenant on. Your house mates could rent out the room and pocket the money and keep the tenant on. The locks could be changed when you get back and all knowledge of you denied. If any of those things happen you'll be more screwed starting a search from scratch so late by the time you find out and be down all that money. It's just too risky imo. That years rent will more than cover accommodation while in limbo finding somewhere to stay if you can't line something up in advance.

I'm not sure if he could deny all knowledge of me because there would be a lease signed between us, wouldn't that be sufficient? Unfortunately none of them are going into their 4th year so that's not an option. I understand that it's not guaranteed but I would be hopeful that it would be there for me if i pay the rent and haven't caused issues and have a lease to back it up. Should I ask the landlord for a 2 year lease? One year for while I'm abroad and one for when I'm back in Dublin for my final year? I understand where you're coming from but organizing accommodation in advance is not something which appeals to me at all.

Ask your landlord for a room for your final year first, then go for your suggestion. Best of luck with it!

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭cazzer22

Paying rent for an entire year and not living there is INSANE. I would begin looking and fly home for viewings or even get friends to go looking on your behalf. You would save almost 6 grand. The housing situation in Dublin is madness but you could nearly stay in a hotel or BnB if you don't have any luck for a week or two and still save ALL your money. I honestly couldn't justify renting a place for a year just to have it ready?
    If you've been a good tenant, explain your situation and hopefully your landlord can come to an agreement with you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭Browney7

Op, you can airbnb a room for a few weeks in Dublin when you get back and look solidly for somewhere. You'd get a room on airbnb for 50 a night no bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭bmwguy

Insane plan OP. If you can afford this, put the 5400 into a bank account. When you are back, use this 5,400 to outbid other renters by offering an extra 100/200 a month to secure the place you want. Do this and I guarantee you will get a place.
    I'll even rent you a room in my house, you sound like a good tenant!

Oh, and you will still have at least 3 grand of that 5400 left.

Best advice would be to try to just get a place you like, and only outbid if you really have to.

What you are suggesting is madness not to mention denying someone who needs it a room for a year. Although you could possibly sublet it to someone you know?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭mel123

3 weeks to find somewhere to live is in my option loads of time, because it seems you are fine with a house share, and there is plenty of these that i can see.
    If, if, you dont find somewhere, stay in a hotel for a while, it will still be a damn lot cheaper than paying someone rent when you are not even there.

*or ask the LL if you can sublet your room

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Save the €5400 and use it to your advantage when you get back. Put yourself ahead of the curve by offering to pay 3/4 months up front. Or, as others have said, use some of it to pay for temporary accommodation if you don't find somewhere to live in the time you have. Throwing away that kind of money is madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

For €5400 you could stay in a fancy hotel for a few months when you got back if you wanted more time than 3 weeks for searching.

Or it could get you a far better room next year in a price range out of other peoples budgets.

Or you could spend it on hookers and blow and still get a room somewhere next year after a week of searching.

In other words, paying a years rent in Dublin when you aren't even in the country is a crazy waste of money and you would be mad to do so.

You have all made solid points and I thank you for your input.

Flying home is not a great option in my view simply because it costs money and takes up a lot of time which I could use to study, particularly towards the end of the year. I don't thinking requesting that friends go seeking accommodation for me is an option either - I wouldn't appreciate someone asking me to do it for them, unless we were immediate family.

One of my main fears is actually finding somewhere to live. It's ridiculously difficult in Dublin and even more so as a student. Landlords do not want to rent to students. I'm a long way from the stereotypical student but there's no way a landlord will know that (bar maybe a reference) or that a landlord would even consider renting to a student. What if I land back 3 weeks before the start of my final year (and I want to perform well from the very beginning to get a good degree grade) and struggle to find somewhere suitable for months? Extreme as that may sound, there is a housing crisis in Dublin and students are prime victims. At the moment I have somewhere suitable to live which is close to college and where the rent is reasonable enough considering the current situation. Renting for the year I am abroad is very costly I agree but it offers me security and the promise of a good base for my final year.

I have also read and heard about scams when it comes to accommodation in Dublin which is something I'm somewhat apprehensive about.

Are my fears completely unfounded? The majority of the people replying are stating that I'm mad to pay for the room while not using it. Does any of the above resonate with any of you? Or are you still convinced that I should take my chances, hope I get lucky and find something somewhat decent when I return to Dublin after being abroad?

Thanks for the replies again, very helpful and informative!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

OP I understand completely what you're saying given the current rental market.

It's not a far fetched plan given the lack of rental properties and I doubt many of the previous posters have had to look for rental accommodation as a student in the past 2 years.

Having a job (permanent/part time) makes the task much easier when it comes to references and reassurance for the landlord when it comes to paying rent.

It's a nightmare out there for students and some landlords would rather rent to young professionals than risk renting to students.

If you can afford it, sit down with your landlord and explain it to him but as someone has mentioned you should still be prepared for an increase in rent if you are due a rent review.

You could sublet to someone for the year if your housemates agreed to it but I don't know if that would fly with your landlord. I'm also not sure on the tenancy rights of someone subletting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi OP

there have been a fair few suggestions here, and very few of them take the landlords point of view into consideration.

he could easily rent the room to someone for the year you are away, and again the following year, as there is great demand. so why would he take less than the market rate from you?

it would be frankly insulting to ask him to take anything less.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,485 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

For the landlords view consider this.

What if you pay rent all year, and then a month before you return the landlord decides for unrelated reasons to stop being a landlord, says he is selling the house and terminates your lease?

• Advertisement

For the landlords view consider this.

What if you pay rent all year, and then a month before you return the landlord decides for unrelated reasons to stop being a landlord, says he is selling the house and terminates your lease?

That's a risk that I'd be taking I guess, not something I want to do but I don't have a lot of options and any that I do have are risky or costly, or both.

Advertisement