Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Government contribution to masters?

Options
  • 28-02-2017 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭

Quick question, I've a Bsc in Commercial Computing and I have 7 years of experience with that. I am currently in full time employment and I want to look into doing a part time masters.

When I was doing my Bsc the government made a contribution to the cost and I paid the rest, I have never done a Msc before and I was wondering if the government will also make a contribution to the cost of a part time masters?

If they do then my company may also pay for part of the fee, can I make use of the government contribution if my company also pay part of the fee?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What was the contribution the government made for your Bsc?

Was it a full time course where you just paid the registration fees etc?

You can get tax relief on fees for part time courses, that's about it afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Stheno wrote: »
    What was the contribution the government made for your Bsc?

Was it a full time course where you just paid the registration fees etc?

You can get tax relief on fees for part time courses, that's about it afaik

Yes sorry when I went to college for the Bsc I paid registration fees but at the time the government covered most of the fees and I only had to pay a small amount, if I wanted to go back and do another Bsc the government would no longer pay that contribution and I'd have to pay full fees.

I'd assume that for a part time course over 24 months my best option is to see how much my company will cover in that case?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I'd assume that for a part time course over 24 months my best option is to see how much my company will cover in that case?

Pretty much yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

The government technically still do cover some of your fees. Even though students pay approx. 3000 Euro, the government add roughly an extra 5000 for each student, paid directly to the institution.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Yes this is what I am talking about someone going to college today will pay 3k but the actual cost of the course is say 7k. The government pay for this extra 4k. This doesn't apply to a Masters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Yes this is what I am talking about someone going to college today will pay 3k but the actual cost of the course is say 7k. The government pay for this extra 4k. This doesn't apply to a Masters?

No. You pay the fee. And the registration fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

You might be entitled to a contribution fee of 2,000 if your annual wage is below 30,000 a year, if your annual wage is below 20,000 you might be entitled to a contribution fee of 6,000. Otherwise youre not entitled to any other government funding for a Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,311 ✭✭✭✭endacl

You might be entitled to a contribution fee of 2,000 if your annual wage is below 30,000 a year, if your annual wage is below 20,000 you might be entitled to a contribution fee of 6,000. Otherwise youre not entitled to any other government funding for a Masters.

I'd imagine that with seven years post graduate experience the OP would be over the threshold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 johnny1990

If you are made redundant from your work, does the government pay for your masters should you choose to pursue one?

Advertisement