Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dundalk pistol range

Options
  • 28-02-2017 2:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭

Hearing a lot of talk lately of an English company applying for planning permission to open an indoor "American style " pistol range and gun shop in the Dundalk area. Just wondering if anyone else heard the rumours

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I guess they mean an IPSC-style range...

Dundalk being the county town of Louth, I'm not going to say that it will never happen, just that it seems unlikely, given the somewhat uncooperative attitude in the Republic to what is seen by the PTB as 'combat training'.

I'd like to be totally wrong.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

That's all we need.......Remember when Dundalk was called EL Passo

• Registered Users Posts: 11 doire4mee

Hi mate, when you say American style pistol range what do you mean?

As I guess it will mean different a thing to different people. But the more shooting ranges can only be a good thing, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Luckysasha

I guess it means fully automated lanes not like most places now where you have to wait until the range officer calls "cease fire" then you walk out to your target. I searched through Louth co.co. planning and can't find anything so maybe it's just rumour

Luckysasha wrote: »
    I guess it means fully automated lanes not like most places now where you have to wait until the range officer calls "cease fire" then you walk out to your target. I searched through Louth co.co. planning and can't find anything so maybe it's just rumour

You mean like many of the indoor pistol ranges we have all over Europe?

So how is that American?

tac

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Yeah, the phrase "American style pistol range" carries some rather... negative connotations to most of the general public.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

Isn't Dundalk part of the area, Dermot "blasphemy" Ahern used to represent ? He would be up on his soapbox if this rumour was true. He would be popping up like a bloody crocus like Bertie Ahern is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

This is all because of BREXIT.

Are you sure someone didn't over hear a couple of lads talking about burying some 2 meter concrete pipes in a forestry....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,450 ✭✭✭garrettod

Luckysasha wrote: »
    I guess it means fully automated lanes not like most places now where you have to wait until the range officer calls "cease fire" then you walk out to your target.....

Out of interest, does anyone know why do we not have these as standard - is it simply down to cost, or is there more to it ?

Thanks.

Thanks,

G.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I believe it's cost, however there could be other issues i'm not aware of.

An indoor range has a lot more safety and noise issues to deal with than an outdoor range. I once went to extend the roof of one of the outdoor firing points only to be told that if it goes beyond "X" feet it's classed as indoor and then must meet all the requirements.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

gunny123 wrote: »
    Isn't Dundalk part of the area, Dermot "blasphemy" Ahern used to represent ? He would be up on his soapbox if this rumour was true. He would be popping up like a bloody crocus like Bertie Ahern is.

Not to mind Baron Gym Shortt.:rolleyes: He of the most intresting ordinance collection that required the EOD squad to remove when the ancestral pile caught fire a few years ago.:rolleyes:
    An "American style" pistol range...Sounds like some local 2 bit hack looked up his "A journalists guide to nasty things to write about gun ownership" book.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

garrettod wrote: »
    Out of interest, does anyone know why do we not have these as standard - is it simply down to cost, or is there more to it ?

Thanks.

A lot of the ISSF ranges either have these or have moved on to fully electronic targets (where the impact point of the bullet is detected using ultrasonics or lasers and you see it pop up on the little computer screen beside you). Though we usually keep at least one or two firing points worth of the paper targets - they're too handy for some kinds of training.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Not to mind Baron Gym Shortt.:rolleyes: He of the most intresting ordinance collection that required the EOD squad to remove when the ALLEGED ancestral pile caught fire a few years ago.:rolleyes:

Ah, 'Baron Shortt' - an interesting person to be sure. Read all about him and his shenannigins on arrse.com

Seems that we are just figments of his imagination....

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    Ah, 'Baron Shortt' - an interesting person to be sure. Read all about him and his shenannigins on arrse.com

Seems that we are just figments of his imagination....

tac

Yes i seen that. I wonder when some ex-para or sas bloke finally catches up with him, will his martial arts expertise or papal knighthood do him any good ? I would pay good money to be a fly on the wall when he gets his cumuppance.

His come-uppance is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay long overdue - I remain amazed that nobody has yet put this scoundrel in a bag somewhere and forgotten all about it.

tac

Cmon lads! Don't forget his many globally awarded [Ebay] medals!! Awarded for courage on the PSP 3 Medal of Honour battle field and great heroics in many a bar room tale.The man deserves the highest award for being such a legend in his own mind as Uber Walt supreme.The most amazing thing is how he fooled so many people,and government organisations with his tall tales.:eek:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

I'm hoping that you are not trying to tell me, in a sideways kind of way, that this guy has anything to do with the allegedly innovative proposed new range in Dundalk?

tac

It just goes to show how far a brass neck and a straight face will take you though. It was reported in the uk media that some senior policeman (park litter warden) started a security company that somehow got a contract with the uk government offices in Whitehall. Shortt was taken on as senior advisor, and its is suggested turned up at said offices to "review their security" in full military garb, needless to say he was told exactly what stop to get off at.

Tac.
    In this great little country of ours.You would never know! The necks on some of the inhabitants here I swear would defy diamond tipped chainsaw chains if you had to remove their heads.:pac:

[Mod note]Lads, what has this got to do with ranges in Dundalk?[/Mod Note]

• Advertisement

Apologies for the thread drift.

Are we any further along with the rumour?

tac

Sorry Sparks, but that individual is the direct cause of the loss of centrefire pistols and the sport of practical in the republic. A former territorial army nurse running "bodyguard courses" for a bunch of Walter Mitty's. Some of us worked bloody hard to get pistol ranges set up and it all came to nought nearly, over this fantasist.

But you are correct, and the thread wandered right off course and sorry for that.

While I agree with the general view of that gombeen, he's not the sole cause of the loss of centerfire pistols in Ireland, that's way too easy a rewrite of history. If you needed a single name to lay the blame for that on, you'd probably pick Jim Deasy's but even then you're oversimplifying things. There were a few threads tracking this at the time, take a read of them. But now you have me digressing...

So to return to the point, has anyone heard any actual details of this new range?

Let's just say the straw that broke the camel's back then.

Another range and more people in the sport of target shooting are always welcome.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 556 ✭✭✭ligertigon

Live in the town, heard nothing.

Though we do have an under used 300m centerfire range :)

Advertisement