Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

email or not?

Options
  • 28-02-2017 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

I got invited for an interview for a company at the start of February. The woman said she was going on leave and would contact me at the end of February regarding an interview date.

Its now the last day in Feb, and still no word.

Should I email her, and if so, what do I say.

I'm worried if I do it'll seem pushy.

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Oh definitely email! Keep it casual, just say you are following up on your previous correspondence and look forward to receiving information regarding your interview. It's not a bad thing to seem keen once you aren't pushy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I wouldnt yet, she said she would contact end of Feb, give her a few extra days to get organised once she comes back from leave.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Maybe wait til Thursday and then send the email as per charliethminxx post.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

OP here

So i emailed on Wed evening, I kept it very casual but have still heard nothing.

Should I assume this job is gone?

Why headhunt me, tell me they'd be in touch to organise an interview and then nothing?

I'm 2 years trying to get a job and am sick of this constant messing around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Ghekko

Maybe she's not back yet. Give them a ring and ask for her tomorrow. You need to know one way or another.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭witchgirl26

Ghekko wrote: »
    Maybe she's not back yet. Give them a ring and ask for her tomorrow. You need to know one way or another.

I'd agree with this. Realistically she may have meant to contact you but something has come up that is completely unrelated. I've had it before where the person responsible for making the final decision on hiring ended up out sick for 3 weeks which left me hanging a bit but not through badness etc. Just life.

If you ring, you can ask to leave a message if she's not there and just be polite about it all. Make sure to leave your phone number in the message even though she already has it. Just in case someone else is looking after things in her absence and doesn't have it.

OP again. Thanks everyone for the responses

She’s definitely back. I follow the company and the person in question on social media (her professional accounts) and she’s been back nearly two weeks, putting up photos of awards ceremonies she’s at and lectures she’s giving.

I’m just so jaded by job hunting at this stage. I’ve got a PhD with 8 years professional experience in my field and have been unemployed for the past 2 years and this type of messing around is constant.

The last job that showed promise was an exhausting 5 month process in which 300 of us went through 6 rounds of assessment and interview before being whittled down to just 5, for 3 positions.

I scored the highest on all my assessments and the interview rubix, in fact I did TOO well, so well that they decided the role wouldn’t be challenging enough and I’d find it boring.

So when this company headhunted me, I was delighted, did a phone interview, then invited to apply for the position which was invite-only, signed the NDA etc.

After my application she said she’d be “delighted” to bring me in for interview and be in touch the end of Feb, and here I am.

OP again. Thanks everyone for the responses

She’s definitely back. I follow the company and the person in question on social media (her professional accounts) and she’s been back nearly two weeks, putting up photos of awards ceremonies she’s at and lectures she’s giving.

I’m just so jaded by job hunting at this stage. I’ve got a PhD with 8 years professional experience in my field and have been unemployed for the past 2 years and this type of messing around is constant.

The last job that showed promise was an exhausting 5 month process in which 300 of us went through 6 rounds of assessment and interview before being whittled down to just 5, for 3 positions.

I scored the highest on all my assessments and the interview rubix, in fact I did TOO well, so well that they decided the role wouldn’t be challenging enough and I’d find it boring.

So when this company headhunted me, I was delighted, did a phone interview, then invited to apply for the position which was invite-only, signed the NDA etc.

After my application she said she’d be “delighted” to bring me in for interview and be in touch the end of Feb, and here I am.

OP trust me I completely understand the being jaded part but don't solely rely on the social media accounts being updated. A lot of them (including some of the person specific ones depending on role) are managed by assistants or social media experts to ensure consistency.

Ring her and ask. Again it could be that she is back but that there are others involved in the decision haven't gotten back to her. Should she have contact you - course, but doesn't mean you should write off the job as not happening.

You've nothing to lose by ringing.

Thanks for all the advice witchgirl26

I'm just so terrified that I'll f*ck it up by ringing because it'll seem pushy and bring attention to the fact that didn't follow through on their deadlines.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

This to me just shows she's very busy at the moment. Maybe she just hasn't gotten round to it yet with everything else going on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Eimee90

Give it time, if you have emailed she will definitely see it so dont go ringing her yet. There's a fine line here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭skallywag

Speaking as a hiring manager, I personally find such behaviour extremely unprofessional.

If I, or one of my team, give a commitment to get back to a candidate by a certain date, then we will always honour it, even if just to say that we need more time to come to a conclusion. I fully appreciate that priorities can change, etc, but it does not take long to send a short email, or to make a short call.

I do agree fully that this sort of thing is happening more and more though.

OP here

Thanks everyone for the advice. She eventually got in touch and scheduled an interview for 3 weeks time.

Is it usual to drag this stuff out so much? I've never experienced a hiring process this long before when its only for one position.

They seem in no hurry at all.

OP here

Thanks everyone for the advice. She eventually got in touch and scheduled an interview for 3 weeks time.

Is it usual to drag this stuff out so much? I've never experienced a hiring process this long before when its only for one position.

They seem in no hurry at all.

Glad she got in touch. Did you ask why there was such a delay in the process? At the end of the day it's not just them interviewing you but you interviewing them to see do you want to work for them.

It can drag with some just dependent on background things. I went for one job last year where the second interview was about 2 months after the first. I found out the reason behind later was that they'd had to go back to accounts/dept heads about funding for the role based on the qualifications of those they were calling forward.

Also if it's a new role rather than recruiting for a replacement, they have more time to play around with what they actually what the role to be/who to fill it etc as no time pressure on them.

Advertisement