Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What would you pick?

• 28-02-2017 2:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭

2014 Tekna 24kw 6.6. 25k miles. £11k

2016 Acenta 30kw 6.6. 4k miles. £14k.

I really like the Tekna, which is at max budget.

But the 2016 is newer and is a 30kw version. It's an ex demo. However, the spec is lower and it's a good bit over budget.

Both are colours I like :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,942 ✭✭✭Soarer

I'd go for the Tekna and keep the £3k.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,827 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

30kWh - no brainer in my mind

It has already suffered enormous depreciation, has more range (not that important to you, I know, but will make it easier to sell on and depreciate less), more warranty, more expected life from the battery

Imho the 3 year old 24kWh will depreciate as much over the next few years as the 1 year old 30kWh or more. Very few people will be interested in a 6 year old EV with a range of barely 100km come 2020, it will be worth maybe €5k by then...

I know you like your spec, but there is a high price to pay for it. Up to you which wins, money or spec :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

unkel wrote: »
    30kWh - no brainer in my mind

It has already suffered enormous depreciation, has more range (not that important to you, I know, but will make it easier to sell on and depreciate less), more warranty, more expected life from the battery

Imho the 3 year old 24kWh will depreciate as much over the next few years as the 1 year old 30kWh or more. Very few people will be interested in a 6 year old EV with a range of barely 100km come 2020, it will be worth maybe €5k by then...

I know you like your spec, but there is a high price to pay for it. Up to you which wins, money or spec :)

The car will be held onto for a good few years and will likely be given away to the inlaws when we are done with it, so the depreciation means nothing. Is the extra range, lower miles and 2 years younger (with lower spec) worth an extra €3900? I say 3900 euro because I have put in an offer on the Tekna for £250 under asking and the Acenta price is in stone with a £99 admin fee.

Well it's up to you and it seems your mind is already made up ;)

If you're keeping it forever then resale / depreciation doesn't matter much, so go with your spec. Should you change your mind about how long you're keeping it, it will cost ya though!

Well it's up to you and it seems your mind is already made up ;)

If you're keeping it forever then resale / depreciation doesn't matter much, so go with your spec. Should you change your mind about how long you're keeping it, it will cost ya though!

I hadn't heard back from the seller of the 30kw, so hadn't made up mind until I was told the price is the price, PLUS £99.

• Advertisement

How much will the 30 kWh version be worth then?

In 3 years time when it is 4 years old? Only guessing but I suppose a little bit less than a '14 24kWh (3 year old now) is landed now, so maybe €10k. Obviously you have more money tied up in a '16 if you buy it now, but if you don't have to borrow, and opportunity cost of money is immaterial, then the '16 will be cheaper to own than the '14. And will still have warranty, etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I disagree, You cant get a 6 year old EV with a range of barely 100km for €5k today, which would lead me to think that a '14 Leaf will be worth about €7000 in 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,640 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

macnab wrote: »
    I disagree, You cant get a 6 year old EV with a range of barely 100km for €5k today, which would lead me to think that a '14 Leaf will be worth about €7000 in 2020.

I think what will gut the 24 market is the next two kWh upgrades: maybe 40 in '18 and 50 in '20

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I think what will gut the 24 market is the next two kWh upgrades: maybe 40 in '18 and 50 in '20

Maybe so, but imho what it looses at the top it will more than gain at the bottom. ie the older EVs will become popular with a new segment like older drivers, second cars, 1st time drivers etc. At that stage they will be scarse so demand should buoy the prices. I also see a market for the batteries in home energy use, PV projects etc. There might even be an end of life repurposing drive for converting vintage cars to EV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭isnottheword

I agree with macnab - there will still be strong residuals for the 24kW. In fact, in thinking about it - with older cars being more expensive to maintain, even with battery degradation, isn't this going to be an attractive proposition for someone in that market segment that needs a city run-around?

I strongly agree with your points, macnab, but we will have to see about the price. Surely you don't think that a 6 year old 24kWh Leaf will be worth more in 3 years time than a 6 year old 24kWh Leaf is worth now (€6k-7k)? While tech is progressing quite a bit in the next 3 years?

Unless of course there will be severe punishments for ICE in place by then (higher excise / higher motor tax / Dublin congestion or toxicity charge / etc.) and there aren't enough second hand EV to switch to. I somehow doubt that all of a sudden 85 year old Biddie will want one for going to mass :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭peposhi

I would go for the 30kW. I am saying this from a perspective of a post-SV 24kW and current-SVE 30kW owner. The bigger battery is way much more useful and is a must for a new EV owner as there would be less stressful range anxiety moments, the battery charges faster and you have 8years warranty on it. I know it's a bit of a budget overstreching, but it is worth it. Even if you lose 2 bars in 3-4years, you'd still have bigger range than a new 24kW.

And it is not the end of the world if you get a "lower" spec that is higher than most of the current ICE cars in the same price range (although the Tekna (SVE) spec is really nice to have). My colleague bought a Toyota Auris hybrid fro 24k-ish just a week a go and does not have even sat nav... I told him to go EV... But girlfriend was too scared of it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭KCross

goz83 wrote: »
    The car will be held onto for a good few years and will likely be given away to the inlaws when we are done with it, so the depreciation means nothing. Is the extra range, lower miles and 2 years younger (with lower spec) worth an extra €3900? I say 3900 euro because I have put in an offer on the Tekna for £250 under asking and the Acenta price is in stone with a £99 admin fee.

Because of the above I would go with the 30kWh.

The extra range and warranty is worth it.
    You will also find that you will drive the car alot more simply because they are so nice to drive and thats when the extra range will start to matter.

I would say the only major benefit of Tekna is the leather. If you dont need/care about that then the Acenta will do fine.

KCross wrote: »
    Because of the above I would go with the 30kWh.

The extra range and warranty is worth it.
    You will also find that you will drive the car alot more simply because they are so nice to drive and thats when the extra range will start to matter.

I would say the only major benefit of Tekna is the leather. If you dont need/care about that then the Acenta will do fine.

The 4 camera all around view is extra handy when parking in a funny spot.

I have decided not to go for the 30KW model. I just couldn't justify the extra spend for our usage, but I get the argument of the extra range. I asked myself what would I pick if the the 30KW was a Tekna.....and the answer was the same, although would have been harder to make a call on it.

I have a provisional deal settled for the 24kw car and hope I am making the right choice. Comes with the chrome pack, which is a nice little extra. The rep also seems like a proper genuine lad, which is important as I am not exactly strolling across to the local dealership to have a look.

I did find a white 2014 6.6 version for £500 less with 6k less miles, but the finance situation is not clear. Also I don't like white cars. The dealer said he can get a letter from the finance company confirming that all is fine.....so it's a back up, but something I would rather avoid if I can.

Anyway, the extra cost of the 30KW model would have taken money out of the pot for the depreciated Ioniq I am buying next year :pac::pac::pac:

I know you said you don't like white, but electric autos in Naas have a 2013 Tekna 6.6, with similar mileage, for €12k.

Here she be.

Would save you a few quid, and you'd have a point of contact on this side of the water if anything went wrong.

I normally don't like white either, but I think it suits the Leaf, especially with the tinted windows.

Soarer wrote: »
    I know you said you don't like white, but electric autos in Naas have a 2013 Tekna 6.6, with similar mileage, for €12k.

Here she be.

Would save you a few quid, and you'd have a point of contact on this side of the water if anything went wrong.

I normally don't like white either, but I think it suits the Leaf, especially with the tinted windows.

With sterling dropping, by the time I am paying for the UK car, it might be costing me under €12,500 to close the deal. In the last couple of hours, around €80 has come off the price.

Right now, £11k is €12,852. It was over €13k last night.

Of course, it could go either way, but i'm betting it goes down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭KCross

goz83 wrote: »
    I have decided not to go for the 30KW model. I just couldn't justify the extra spend for our usage, but I get the argument of the extra range.

Best of luck. Everyone has their own viewpoint/needs and I suppose ultimately the budget is the budget so that trumps all other opinions! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Soarer wrote: »

Here she be.

I was about to buy that car from the previous owner, just before Phil (Electric Autos) bought it but I didn't shift my jeep in time.

The previous owner bought it from Phil, so Phil knows the full history of the car. The owner only sold to buy a 30kwh version.

I like white cars, I have a white BMW E60 outside :), this is the Pearl White, so has a creamy tint to it.

Advertisement