Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor skin, dry+oily plus crusty, red eyes

Options
  • 28-02-2017 3:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I dont have the best of skin. I have a lot of blackheads on and around my nose, baggy eyes and red,crusty eyelids - like a very tiny layer of skin and blood vessels. I have red hair, so a fair complexion.

I want to improve my complexion but don't know where to start. Usually, when I buy moisturiser, it makes my skin red, itchy or blotchy. Any good sensitive ones that you could recommend?

What about general treatments? I have heard of chemical peels and such. Anything less abrasive/wont make me look terrible for a week etc.

Regarding the dark circles under the eyes, I have read that I need to use a eye serum. Again, any recommendations? Is it too late to get rid of them, not that I have them? Can only manage it?

Any recommendations for permenant blackhead removal? i have tried those blackhead oils you buy from chemists, as well as those strips. All were useless.

Regarding the eyelids. I am not sure if it is just to do with my red hair or lack of care. I read about a condition called blepharitis, which seems like it could be what I have, except its not really puffy/inflamed and they arent itchy. I do tend to wake up with gunk in my eye though.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

What's your current skincare routine?

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭richy

What's your current skincare routine?

Pretty much nothing. I moisturise sometimes. Every now and then I will but a facial scrub for shower and use it till it runs out.

I had an aveda moisturiser which I used for a couple of months but it ran out. I used a tub of nivea sensitive too. Was alright but not great IIRC. TBH, I dont notice much, if any, improvement when I use moisturisers. Probably short sighted of me.

My general skin isnt too bad, it fluctuates though. I have oily skin around the nose area (presumable because of blackheads), but then other times it can be dry and inflammed slightly too. Its the blackheads (and the redness either side of my nose where the blackheads are), the red eyelids and the dark circles under eyes that are my biggest issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

I think you should go for a professional facial as it sounds like you have differenct concerns that may need to be addressed with different products.

Most people find dermalogical mace mapping good and the aesthecian will do up a list of products your skin needs and even if you just prioritise one or two products first they will normally give you the others as samples for you to try.

lubie76 wrote: »
    I think you should go for a professional facial as it sounds like you have differenct concerns that may need to be addressed with different products.

Most people find dermalogical mace mapping good and the aesthecian will do up a list of products your skin needs and even if you just prioritise one or two products first they will normally give you the others as samples for you to try.

Thanks for the reply.So look for a spa that does dermalogical face mapping is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

You need to have a skincare routine, I have fairly good skin but I leave it for a week two it starts getting spotty, liney and rosacea starts flaring up.

You need to cleanse everyday, given your skin is oily and in such bad condition you should use hot cloth cleansing with a light cleaning face wash. Soap and Glory do some nice ones that wont dry out your skin.
    A rosewater toner will help minimise pores and hydrate your skin.
    You sound dehydrated so invest in a good hyaluronic acid serum. Id recommend Vichy Aqualia Thermal Dynamic Hydration Power Serum, it's about 25 euro but its worth it. Get a thermal water spray too, theyre great and you can get ones with SPF. Spray it on your face then apply the hyaluronic acid serum, it makes a huge difference, you can spray it on top of your makeup or after your moisturiser for extra hydration.
    You need to use an SPF of about 30 everyday, you can get light moisturisers that have sun protection in them but be cautious of layering suncreams, I only recently discovered that layering one SPF over another decreases the protection.
    I like Vichy Aqualia Thermal moisturiser, they do a very light one or a heavier one for dryer skin.

You should only scrub or exfoliate your face once every week or two weeks, if you do it too much youre aggravating your skin and it causes sensitivity and moisture loss. It also over stimulates the skin which can create more oil production so dont do it so much and use something thats not so abrasive.
    Charcoal or clay masks are great for oily skin and blocked pores. The body shop do a nice one or L'oreal do a range of detox clay masks that are good too and much cheaper.

Id also recommend that you go and get a facial.

• Advertisement

You need to have a skincare routine, I have fairly good skin but I leave it for a week two it starts getting spotty, liney and rosacea starts flaring up.

You need to cleanse everyday, given your skin is oily and in such bad condition you should use hot cloth cleansing with a light cleaning face wash. Soap and Glory do some nice ones that wont dry out your skin.
    A rosewater toner will help minimise pores and hydrate your skin.
    You sound dehydrated so invest in a good hyaluronic acid serum. Id recommend Vichy Aqualia Thermal Dynamic Hydration Power Serum, it's about 25 euro but its worth it. Get a thermal water spray too, theyre great and you can get ones with SPF. Spray it on your face then apply the hyaluronic acid serum, it makes a huge difference, you can spray it on top of your makeup or after your moisturiser for extra hydration.
    You need to use an SPF of about 30 everyday, you can get light moisturisers that have sun protection in them but be cautious of layering suncreams, I only recently discovered that layering one SPF over another decreases the protection.
    I like Vichy Aqualia Thermal moisturiser, they do a very light one or a heavier one for dryer skin.

You should only scrub or exfoliate your face once every week or two weeks, if you do it too much youre aggravating your skin and it causes sensitivity and moisture loss. It also over stimulates the skin which can create more oil production so dont do it so much and use something thats not so abrasive.
    Charcoal or clay masks are great for oily skin and blocked pores. The body shop do a nice one or L'oreal do a range of detox clay masks that are good too and much cheaper.

Id also recommend that you go and get a facial.

Thanks for the reply. First of all, I dont wear makeup :-D. I'm a man.

Is the serum for under the eyes? I will look into all those products, thank you.

Anything to remove blackheads? Will it happen over time from having a routine like above?

Also, what about the eyelids? I tried moisturing them but after a couple of hours it started making my eyes sting and water. Dont know if its a big no no to moisturise eyelids or what lol. Total novice.

Can anyone recommend a good place to go for a facial too? And what to ask for? In Dublin or Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

richy wrote: »

Is the serum for under the eyes? I will look into all those products, thank you.

Anything to remove blackheads? Will it happen over time from having a routine like above?

Also, what about the eyelids? I tried moisturing them but after a couple of hours it started making my eyes sting and water. Dont know if its a big no no to moisturise eyelids or what lol. Total novice.

Don't moisturise your eyelids, too sensitive of an area. I know that much.

Face scrub one a week or every second week as said above.

I'm the same as OP, read eyes, dry eyelids, tried a lot of things. One thing that works every few days is to put a warm, not hot, cotton pad on your eye for a min, then gently wipe away, sleep/dry skin, don't be rough, your eyes are sensitive. I do this every few days or once a week. TBH I don't know many guys with this problem, just myself. Can be very annoying and makes me a little paranoid even though people don't really notice.

Also, a silly but important one, make sure you wash your hands after the bathroom, germs are all over hands, and if you're touching or clearing your eyes without noticing you could be spreading tiny germs on your face and eyes. Gross, I know.

Hope that helps a little.

Also sleep helps with red eyes, but I'm a night owl, must change my sleeping patterns :)

Can anyone recommend a good place to go for a facial too? And what to ask for? In Dublin or Cork.

Men have tougher skin then women so you might be better off going and getting the dermalogica skin mapping done and getting recommendations for yourself.

Use this page to find a seller.

http://www.dermalogica.ie/ir/yourskin/30_article_face_mapping_skin_analysis.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,390 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

Oh im sorry lol, I assumed you were a woman, my mistake.
    If you continue to deep cleanse you'll see a big difference in your blackheads and overall appearance of your skin. The serum and thermal spray should work well on your eyelids too. You can get special eye creams if youre sensitive to normal moisturiser, Kiehls do a good avocado one.

Don't moisturise your eyelids, too sensitive of an area. I know that much.

Face scrub one a week or every second week as said above.

I'm the same as OP, read eyes, dry eyelids, tried a lot of things. One thing that works every few days is to put a warm, not hot, cotton pad on your eye for a min, then gently wipe away, sleep/dry skin, don't be rough, your eyes are sensitive. I do this every few days or once a week. TBH I don't know many guys with this problem, just myself. Can be very annoying and makes me a little paranoid even though people don't really notice.

Also, a silly but important one, make sure you wash your hands after the bathroom, germs are all over hands, and if you're touching or clearing your eyes without noticing you could be spreading tiny germs on your face and eyes. Gross, I know.

Hope that helps a little.

Also sleep helps with red eyes, but I'm a night owl, must change my sleeping patterns :)

Wish I could wear eyemakeup to hide it :-D

I too am a complete night owl. Go to bed late often and have to get up early for college which means I am sleep deprived and puffy eyed. I know thats one thing I need to change.

Have very good hygiene, in fact I probably wash my hands too much, so the handwash thing isn't an issue. One thing I should probably do is change my pillow cases more often.

I have a friend who is crazy about his skin, he used to wear a swimming cap to bed to stop gel getting on his pillow and affecting his skin lol. Covered head to toe in tattoos, looks a bit rough but a nice fellow. You would never know how much he cared!
    Men have tougher skin then women so you might be better off going and getting the dermalogica skin mapping done and getting recommendations for yourself.

Use this page to find a seller.

http://www.dermalogica.ie/ir/yourskin/30_article_face_mapping_skin_analysis.html

Thanks for the link. Didnt realise it was a particular company doing them.
    Oh im sorry lol, I assumed you were a woman, my mistake.
    If you continue to deep cleanse you'll see a big difference in your blackheads and overall appearance of your skin. The serum and thermal spray should work well on your eyelids too. You can get special eye creams if youre sensitive to normal moisturiser, Kiehls do a good avocado one.

No problem. Special eye cream for my eyelids is it?

Thanks to all for the responses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,767 ✭✭✭GingerLily

Vichy Aquailia eye gel is nice and light and works well with their serum but you'll need to get a good cleanser in your routine.

I think hot cloth cleanser's are great for people starting out with non foaming cleansers as they are gentle but also exfoliate your skin ( the cloth part!)

Wear an SPF too if you want good to avoid sun damage, aging and possibly skin cancer! Everyone should wear SPF during the day!

I use a toner that has really improved the condition of my skin and pores, Pixi Glow Tonic, it's a chemical exfoliant and it has witchanged hazel and that helps clean out pores and remove dead skin.

For a night time cream there are a tonne of basic ones that I like, Oilatum Natural repair cream and First Aid Beauty Repair cream, both you can get for about 10e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

Wish I could wear eyemakeup to hide it :-D

I too am a complete night owl. Go to bed late often and have to get up early for college which means I am sleep deprived and puffy eyed. I know thats one thing I need to change.

Have very good hygiene, in fact I probably wash my hands too much, so the handwash thing isn't an issue. One thing I should probably do is change my pillow cases more often.

I have a friend who is crazy about his skin, he used to wear a swimming cap to bed to stop gel getting on his pillow and affecting his skin lol. Covered head to toe in tattoos, looks a bit rough but a nice fellow. You would never know how much he cared!

Thanks for the link. Didnt realise it was a particular company doing them.

No problem. Special eye cream for my eyelids is it?

Thanks to all for the responses.

Oh yes! Totally forgot, change your pillow case every week if you can. Some people say every few days. You are putting your head on all sorts every night if you leave it. Friend of mine was really bad, as in never changed his cases and was always getting stys. Since changing pillows cases he doesn't get then anymore. Must do that myself more often.

Yeah being a night owl does not help. Difficult to get into an routine of bed at 11, but that's when things get interesting lol. But one step at a time. These things only take a couple mins every few days or week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

Here is what I do for sleep, it has worked well for both my husband & myself sleep help I hopes it will change your sleep pattern for you. I find that during the winter months when the central heating is on and however religiously I apply my Monsia night repair cream I have found that adding a few drops of vit E oil from neck to forehead helps keep skin hydrated - don't worry, your skin will not get oily. Add a drop at a time until you learn how much works best for you. I get vit E oil I close my eyes before wiping the oil very gently on & around eyes and I place a tissue over my eyes when I am done before opening them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I'm always in awe of recommendations of regular glycolic treatments to somebody with problematic skin? OP sounds incredibly sensitive.

Is there any underlying skin conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Windchimes

Hi, how much water do you drink every day? You should try to drink a couple of litres; it'll help to keep your skin hydrated. Look at your diet also - try to eat plenty of fresh fruit and veg and also try to eat foods containing healthy fats (oily fish, nuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, avocados) Healthy skin comes from what we put into our body, not from what creams or lotions we put on our skin.

Thanks for all the replies. I went to Boots and got a couple of stuff from the SIMPLE range. Toner, moisturiser (with spf15) and eye serum.

Toner and eye serum are fine. Have been using them. With the toner, should I wash my face before I use it or is it unneccessary. What about cleanser? Should I use it? Before toner?

Is there anyway to get rid of bloodvessels around the eyes?

The moisturiser with SPF 15. Dont really like it. It spreads way too much like suncream would. Not sure if i will keep using it.

My gf has vichy aqualia moisturiser which I like and will order I think. Maybe could use the spf one during the day and the other at night?
    Oh yes! Totally forgot, change your pillow case every week if you can. Some people say every few days. You are putting your head on all sorts every night if you leave it. Friend of mine was really bad, as in never changed his cases and was always getting stys. Since changing pillows cases he doesn't get then anymore. Must do that myself more often.

Yeah being a night owl does not help. Difficult to get into an routine of bed at 11, but that's when things get interesting lol. But one step at a time. These things only take a couple mins every few days or week or two.

Thanks for reply. Routine has been getting better but still not great.
    LinF wrote: »
    Here is what I do for sleep, it has worked well for both my husband & myself sleep help I hopes it will change your sleep pattern for you. I find that during the winter months when the central heating is on and however religiously I apply my Monsia night repair cream I have found that adding a few drops of vit E oil from neck to forehead helps keep skin hydrated - don't worry, your skin will not get oily. Add a drop at a time until you learn how much works best for you. I get vit E oil I close my eyes before wiping the oil very gently on & around eyes and I place a tissue over my eyes when I am done before opening them.

Thanks for that. Will try the sleep routine.
    I'm always in awe of recommendations of regular glycolic treatments to somebody with problematic skin? OP sounds incredibly sensitive.

Is there any underlying skin conditions?

What is the regular glycolic treatment that was recommended? Items with chemicals in them? Not sure on the terms.

Blackheads around the nose and cheeks. Redness there too. Baggy eyes and lots of blood vessels on the eyelids, mainly at the bottom where my eyelashes are.

No conditions like psorasis though.
    Windchimes wrote: »
    Hi, how much water do you drink every day? You should try to drink a couple of litres; it'll help to keep your skin hydrated. Look at your diet also - try to eat plenty of fresh fruit and veg and also try to eat foods containing healthy fats (oily fish, nuts, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, avocados) Healthy skin comes from what we put into our body, not from what creams or lotions we put on our skin.

Drink plenty of water. Diet was terrible until recently. Not it is quite good. Salads everyday, sometimes twice a day etc. I know thats a big thing alright.

Thanks for all the replies. I went to Boots and got a couple of stuff from the SIMPLE range. Toner, moisturiser (with spf15) and eye serum.

Toner and eye serum are fine. Have been using them. With the toner, should I wash my face before I use it or is it unneccessary.

The moisturiser with SPF 15. Dont really like it. It spreads way too much like suncream would. Not sure if i will keep using it.

My gf has vichy aqualia moisturiser which I like and will order I think. Maybe could use the spf one during the day and the other at night?

Thanks for reply. Routine has been getting better but still not great.

Thanks for that. Will try the sleep routine.

What is the regular glycolic treatment that was recommended? Items with chemicals in them? Not sure on the terms.

Blackheads around the nose and cheeks. Redness there too. Baggy eyes and lots of blood vessels on the eyelids, mainly at the bottom where my eyelashes are.

No conditions like psorasis though.

Drink plenty of water. Diet was terrible until recently. Not it is quite good. Salads everyday, sometimes twice a day etc. I know thats a big thing alright.

A toner is to be used after cleansing your skin it isn't a stand alone product and isn't as necessary as a proper cleanser would be.

Dirt and sensitivity are almost definitely causing your issues and you really could do with seeing a professional rather than buying products which may not be suited to you and could make the problem worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

If you want to pm me a pic of your skin (you can blur out your eyes etc if you want) I'll try see if I recognise what's going on and recommend a regieme. It sounds like you're oily and that you've sensitive skin with dehydration. I'm wondering if you have roseaca or anything else going on. Generally to keep the flakes and blackheads at bay you need to exfoliate but I would be reluctant to recommend a specific exfoliator without seeing your skin as anything too abrasive will do more harm than good and ahas can be quite harsh on delicate skin.

A serum may help with the dehydration but ultimately like someone said above that's generally something to work on with lifestyle/diet
    You'd need a moisturiser with a humectant in it, to help with dehydration. You could try those hydrating facemasks too.

But to keep it simple
    - a gentle cleanser
    - exfoliation
    - toner
    - moisturiser
    - eyecream

• Registered Users Posts: 4,129 ✭✭✭chicorytip

richy wrote:

The only solution for redness of the facial area (rosacea)- excluding the eyes for obvious reasons- is laser treatment or IPL, as it's known. This should only be carried out by a consultant dermatologist or specialist nurse - absolutely not a beauty therapist. With regards to the eyes and eyelids there are steroids called tetracyclines which, when prescribed in low doses, can help prevent redness and irritation occuring. It would be no harm, also, to visit an optician just in case you may have an eye condition such as conjunctivitis.

chicorytip wrote: »
    The only solution for redness of the facial area (rosacea)- excluding the eyes for obvious reasons- is laser treatment or IPL, as it's known. This should only be carried out by a consultant dermatologist or specialist nurse - absolutely not a beauty therapist. With regards to the eyes and eyelids there are steroids called tetracyclines which, when prescribed in low doses, can help prevent redness and irritation occuring. It would be no harm, also, to visit an optician just in case you may have an eye condition such as conjunctivitis.

Redness in the face can be caused by sensitivity too I think? I know if I don't look after my skin I'm prone to redness but a good routine that suits me works wonders.

Op I would definitely send that photo to Lexi, you won't get offered free professional advice too many times in your life.

• Advertisement

A toner is to be used after cleansing your skin it isn't a stand alone product and isn't as necessary as a proper cleanser would be.

Dirt and sensitivity are almost definitely causing your issues and you really could do with seeing a professional rather than buying products which may not be suited to you and could make the problem worse.

Ok will get toner so thanks. I wont be starting my new job until end of March so have to wait till then to see a profesisonal.
    If you want to pm me a pic of your skin (you can blur out your eyes etc if you want) I'll try see if I recognise what's going on and recommend a regieme. It sounds like you're oily and that you've sensitive skin with dehydration. I'm wondering if you have roseaca or anything else going on. Generally to keep the flakes and blackheads at bay you need to exfoliate but I would be reluctant to recommend a specific exfoliator without seeing your skin as anything too abrasive will do more harm than good and ahas can be quite harsh on delicate skin.

A serum may help with the dehydration but ultimately like someone said above that's generally something to work on with lifestyle/diet
    You'd need a moisturiser with a humectant in it, to help with dehydration. You could try those hydrating facemasks too.

But to keep it simple
    - a gentle cleanser
    - exfoliation
    - toner
    - moisturiser
    - eyecream

Is exfoliation a once every week thing?

Cleanse, tone, moisturise and eyecream twice a day?

Unfortunately, I cant seem to send pics by PM. Only can attach image via a email link.
    chicorytip wrote: »

I read that for veins, laser treamtment is the only solution. But my veins are where the eyelid and the eyelashes meet, so its too dangerous and they wont do it afaik.
    Redness in the face can be caused by sensitivity too I think? I know if I don't look after my skin I'm prone to redness but a good routine that suits me works wonders.

Op I would definitely send that photo to Lexi, you won't get offered free professional advice too many times in your life.

I find often when I moisturise it doesnt make my skin better. Just makes it kind red tbh. Must have been sensitive to the ones ive used before. The vichy one seems to be good for me. Also I think the toner has made a good bit differece in my skin tone. Seems more even.

I have two moles on my face and I think there tends to be a red patch there sometimes. I was looking through pics to send to Lexi and tbh alot of them look fine. Some of them I have an upside wide v shape that starts at the top of my nose that is red/inflammed if that makes sense)

Advertisement