Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor extras is gone from tonight

Options
  • 28-02-2017 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭

One of the reasons we went with meteor was the extras. Two free cinema tickets every month. Just got a text from Meteor with a free cinema ticket saying thanks but extras is gone from tonight. It's a disgrace. The company just gets worse and worse for its customers. Instead of saving 20 a month on cinema tickets here is what we are getting instead.

We are no longer running Meteor Extras so we can continue to invest in bringing you our great value plans & offers. This means you can continue to enjoy More Than You Can Eat YouTube, social networks and messaging, free EU Roaming, HD voice calls and loads more on our superfast 4G network, now with 95% 4G population coverage.

I assume there are no grounds to leave them in contract. :D
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭SteoL

pj12332 wrote: »
    One of the reasons we went with meteor was the extras. Two free cinema tickets every month. Just got a text from Meteor with a free cinema ticket saying thanks but extras is gone from tonight. It's a disgrace. The company just gets worse and worse for its customers. Instead of saving 20 a month on cinema tickets here is what we are getting instead.

We are no longer running Meteor Extras so we can continue to invest in bringing you our great value plans & offers. This means you can continue to enjoy More Than You Can Eat YouTube, social networks and messaging, free EU Roaming, HD voice calls and loads more on our superfast 4G network, now with 95% 4G population coverage.

I assume there are no grounds to leave them in contact. :D

While it does indeed suck that it's gone I don't think it's a disgrace and certainly is not why I, or the majority of Meteor users that I know, went with them for. It was exactly what they called it, i.e. a nice extra. Why would you base your mobile provider on the fact they give you free cinema tickets? Surely their price plans, quality/reliability of network is the more fundamental component here?

Edit to add I find Meteor prepay deals much better value that postpay. Their €20 a month deal gives me everything I need. I used to be Bill pay with Eir and was paying nearly treble the price for the same calls and texts and just 1GB of data. The meteor offer of 15GB, calls and webtexts via the app is a steal in comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,986 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

3 have discounted cinema tickets and various other discounts, competitions & freebies. Their network is also pants, so you pay your money and make your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

loyatemu wrote: »
    3 have discounted cinema tickets and various other discounts, competitions & freebies. Their network is also pants, so you pay your money and make your choice.

With 3plus on the web or on the App you can still get cinema ticket 2x€10 Sunday to Thursday for IMC, Savoy, Odeon, etc. also they still running other competitions.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭pj12332

SteoL wrote: »
    While it does indeed suck that it's gone I don't think it's a disgrace and certainly is not why I, or the majority of Meteor users that I know, went with them for. It was exactly what they called it, i.e. a nice extra. Why would you base your mobile provider on the fact they give you free cinema tickets? Surely their price plans, quality/reliability of network is the more fundamental component here?

Edit to add I find Meteor prepay deals much better value that postpay. Their €20 a month deal gives me everything I need. I used to be Bill pay with Eir and was paying nearly treble the price for the same calls and texts and just 1GB of data. The meteor offer of 15GB, calls and webtexts via the app is a steal in comparison.

I'm in contract with them so am stuck with them. It does add up. Two cinema tickets for me and my partner a month is 360 over the year. The buy one get one free meal is another 12 saved a month so 144 a year. Do over 500 euro of extras just gone. It's crazy. I chose them as prices were all similar and the extras tipped it for me. That was the lads extra selling point. Having the extras. So I'm annoyed they just stop all of a sudden. 500 quid a year is a lot for me and my partner together.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭billcullen1

Meteor Extras appears to be finished !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Where's the bargin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Meteor Extras appears to be finished !!

FAQs here:
    http://support.meteor.ie/cd?t=more

• Registered Users Posts: 6,465 ✭✭✭MOH

SteoL wrote: »

Why would they offer it if they didn't think it would encourage customers to sign up with them?

If you're somebody who would use the extras regularly it would make perfect sense to factor their value in when choosing a network

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I'm with Meteor and to be honest, I never availed of the Extras. I'd far rather the extra data etc but then the extras wasn't part of my decision making. I don't believe it was ever part of the contract though - just a nice bonus - even if it was used to sell you the contract. I expect there was something in the small print that allowed them to get out of it at any time....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

Same with Three - lots of the perks gone from when you top up 20e per month.

Also they cut the time the 20e "offer" runs from 30 days to 28 days. Disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The cut in roaming prices is hammering networks for income - expect all sorts of perks or adjustments that seem minor but aren't (30->28 days results in one more topup being required a year most years) to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭LizardKing

Yes got a sms from them on Tue 28th to say
    Thank you for using Meteor Extras. From 28th Feb 2017 we will no longer be running Metoer Extras so we can continue to invest in bringing you great value plans and offers...

links to www.meteor.ie/extrascdfaq for more

used them a few times for cinema and 2 for 1 dining. Will be interesting to see if any plans prices drop now or if they replace it with something ....

• Registered Users Posts: 69,024 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Merged with existing thread

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

pj12332 wrote: »
    I'm in contract with them so am stuck with them. It does add up. Two cinema tickets for me and my partner a month is 360 over the year. The buy one get one free meal is another 12 saved a month so 144 a year. Do over 500 euro of extras just gone. It's crazy. I chose them as prices were all similar and the extras tipped it for me. That was the lads extra selling point. Having the extras. So I'm annoyed they just stop all of a sudden. 500 quid a year is a lot for me and my partner together.

Unless your tariff is stupid high (not including paying off a free handset) then you're getting more from them than you're paying.

Say €30 x 12 = €360
    Assume it costs Meteor €10/mo for service provision
    Thats €240 profit for Meteor before advertising etc.

Now you get €500 in benefits out of them. Even with good partnership rates with the other brands they're at least giving all their profit from you to third parties.

This works when most dont avail of it, once users start it goes away.

Advertisement