Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Declining a "Promotion"

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

Firstly, if things didn't work out they would have to show they tried very hard to address any problems, training.... then fire you, it would not be a case of you having to leave that would be your own choice.

You have a few choices,
    turn it down, leave
    turn it down, and stay
    tell them you'll take it but it should come with a 20% pay rise, till you've proven yourself you'll met them in the middle and take 10 but in a year you want another 10, it should be in the contract. Anything less and you'll be selling your self short. If they don't agree you have to decline but that will be their choice.
    take it and say nothing, see how things go.
    take it and start looking make them match any offer.
    If you haven't decided already take a look around the office and see who else they will go to if you don't take it do you want to work for them

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Like others before me already said.

It wouldn't be unusual at all if you do this for a while reasonably well but that review and that pay rise never happens. Eventually you will be replaced by that person with experience/credentials they wanted all along. You're back to where you started and will feel like a failure. Whereas that other person will be on significantly more money straight away and soon be going places, too.

Its a cr@p situation to be in as its easy to feel like hey they're giving me a chance, but quite often they're really not.
    I'm speaking from experience.

Take the job with all the upgrades or don't take it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Take the job but insist they pay market rates after a trial period of say 6 months, and have this figure agreed now, upfront.

Advertisement