Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring departments

Options
  • 28-02-2017 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I have an issue with changing departments at work and I would greatly appreciate any advice. I got hired by my company eight months ago. After six months, I informed my supervisor that I would like to switch departments. My supervisor seemed to be fine with it (she said I should pursue my interests and that the other department would be happy to have me etc.), so she told me she would speak to the head of the other department first. In our later meeting, she told me she mentioned my desire to transfer and that now it was up to me to approach the head of the other department, which I did. However, unfortunately I found out that they do not have free positions at the moment. Both my current supervisor and the head of the other department are aware that I do not mind waiting until a place becomes available. However, my current supervisor is treating me now like I have already left her department. She informed at least half of our group and some other departments with which we are in close collaboration that I am leaving. I have been getting e-mails the past few weeks thanking me for a great job etc. I believe this is very unprofessional of her! She is also not sending me to any training courses. In addition, I have got a feeling that she thinks I should be pushing my move to the other department more strongly. I do not know what to do now, but I do not enjoy sitting at my work doing nothing and not being able to learn new things that will drive my career forward. What should I do? I do not want to irritate the head of the other department by constantly asking him about available positions, because I am pretty sure he knows about my interest already. We have had e-mail conversations and I have spoken to him about it in person outside of work. Could anyone please give me any suggestions on how to diffuse this situation?          

Advertisement