Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medieval Mile Museum

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭toe_knee

Hoping to visit tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

toe_knee wrote: »
    Hoping to visit tomorrow

Let us know what's it's like...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Hold off til Saturday; tis FREE then! :)

Think only for today (Tuesday) and this Saturday is it free mind; not a regular thing.................

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I'm really looking forward to it.

It was sad to see the old medieval gravestone being repeated vandalized over the years so it's good that an important part of the citys history is finally being looked after.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I was in there yesterday, I didn't really have enough time to appreciate it. I'll try go again on the next open day.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Very poor website. No admission costs. Are you expected to turn up and be embarrassed into paying an inflated admission fee ?

Very poor website. No admission costs. Are you expected to turn up and be embarrassed into paying an inflated admission fee ?

Website looks very good to be honest. Can't see the admission costs but there is an option for booking which doesn't seem to be working yet. Hardly reason enough to say the website is poor though

• Registered Users Posts: 27 OpenYourMind

Admission is via self-guided tour or with a guided tour. There is a leaflet very much available as you enter, so if you've been in, you should have picked it up. No secrets about adm €.
    Self guided: Adults €7; Guided Tour (personally recommended), €12. No affiliation. Just an open mind and not into looking for faults just because it's local, new and just opened. Objects discovered during archaeological excavations will be returned hopefully for launching for Arts Festival in August. As an event venue it has loads of potential. Knock it in a year or so, but not so soon please... It's a great addition to Medieval Mile for LOCALS and visitors. The Medieval Mile is not just a tourism initiative, locals and local businesses, esp those on it, need to make their own and leave their mark.

No secrets about adm €.
    Self guided: Adults €7; Guided Tour (personally recommended), €12. No affiliation. Just an open mind and not into looking for faults just because it's local, new and just opened.
    In fairness the point was about the prices not being published on the website, not everyone can just pop in to check.

For groups planning a trip to Kilkenny not knowing admission costs in advance will only make them choose another site to visit that has their prices online.

Money might not be an issue for you but for people who can't just spend as they go budgeting is important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭Michael Kavanagh

Give it a chance I presume they will have all these things in place before the tourist season starts it only opened yesterday, did people make a complaint yesterday when prices were not displayed.

• Advertisement

Give it a chance I presume they will have all these things in place before the tourist season starts it only opened yesterday, did people make a complaint yesterday when prices were not displayed.
    For the third time Michael, people traveling from elsewhere don't have the luxury of just dropping to check the prices beforehand.

The criticism is not about the attraction itself, which looks fab and I'm really looking forward to seeing, but the complaint about there being no online pricing information is entirely justified and in no way detracts from the content of the attraction.

catbear wrote: »
    For the third time Michael, people traveling from elsewhere don't have the luxury of just dropping to check the prices beforehand.

The criticism is not about the attraction itself, which looks fab and I'm really looking forward to seeing, but the complaint about there being no online pricing information is entirely justified and in no way detracts from the content of the attraction.
    Make that complaint to the staff when you go visit it,

Make that complaint to the staff when you go visit it,
    Do you have a problem with people discussing issues on the internet.

Why don't you complain to the staff?

toe_knee wrote: »
    Website looks very good to be honest. Can't see the admission costs but there is an option for booking which doesn't seem to be working yet. Hardly reason enough to say the website is poor though
    Admission is via self-guided tour or with a guided tour. There is a leaflet very much available as you enter, so if you've been in, you should have picked it up. No secrets about adm €.
    Self guided: Adults €7; Guided Tour (personally recommended), €12. No affiliation. Just an open mind and not into looking for faults just because it's local, new and just opened. Objects discovered during archaeological excavations will be returned hopefully for launching for Arts Festival in August. As an event venue it has loads of potential. Knock it in a year or so, but not so soon please... It's a great addition to Medieval Mile for LOCALS and visitors. The Medieval Mile is not just a tourism initiative, locals and local businesses, esp those on it, need to make their own and leave their mark.

If I am on a coach tour that only has a certain amount of time to visit Kilkenny I will not have the time to drop in and pick up a leaflet with admission costs,and then decide whether to visit it or not.This is 2017 and this is a brand new tourist attraction. I would be able to book my whole holiday, from my door to anywhere in the world on line,why not this attraction ?. If I just wanted a burger it Chinese take-away I can do this also on line.
    The web designers I'm sure were paid handsomely for they're efforts in designing the website and omitted one of the most important features that would attract visitors,especially those on a budget. So I stand by my statement that the website is a poor one,and will do so until this is remedied.
    I have not visited the attraction yet so I cannot,and did not comment on it,but I do wish it well.

People visiting KK at the start of the tourist season, that's now BTW, just look at the amount of tourists in KK every day,have their trips and visits sorted and paid for long before they arrive at the attraction. This particular attraction should have the admission prices online...they have everything else !.
    As for people complaining to the staff about the lack of pricing,we don't know,you tell us !

Do you have a problem with people discussing issues on the internet.

Why don't you complain to the staff?
    Your point is valuable to them its a new venture if you are going into the museum I would certainly tell them because without the public there is no point in opening there doors.

Your point is valuable to them its a new venture if you are going into the museum I would certainly tell them because without the public there is no point in opening there doors.
    Listen you're not getting it. People who have to plan a trip are going to go elsewhere where prices are advertised so they're not going be telling anyone at the site they don't visit!

You obviously think that this site is for local tourists only who can just pop in to chat while in town to do a shop!

I hope to god that the site is not being run with the same parochialism. Bishop Rothe would have disapproved.

Listen you're not getting it. People who have to plan a trip are going to go elsewhere where prices are advertised so they're not going be telling anyone at the site they don't visit!

You obviously think that this site is for local tourists only who can just pop in to chat while in town to do a shop!

I hope to god that the site is not being run with the same parochialism. Bishop Rothe would have disapproved.

Grow up I never said anything of the sort .

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Grow up I never said anything of the sort .

I don't think this particular discussion needs to continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Can't someone just email them and ask them to add prices to their website? I'm sure it's just a minor oversight, not a deliberate omission. I doubt it's very expensive in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 OpenYourMind

I have extensive experience in tourism. Many visitors planning a trip anywhere do not always base their decisions on whether or not prices are displayed on a website, app or whatever. As regards groups - many groups know they need to book in advance & they generally wait for that info during the booking process, with the hope of a 'haggle'. Many had this info long before the place opened anyway for itineraries that are planned well in advance. For individuals, well... it has just opened, many if not all, will understand if EVERYTHING isn't perfect from day one. I'm sure the website will be updated soon.

People seek experiences, cost is not always the deciding factor, I acknowledge it is for some, but that's the same for everything in life, from groceries to cars and everything that involves a transaction. Websites are selling an experience, it is correct that the experience is highlighted and promoted above the actual cost. Sell the experience well and the cost is secondary. Put cost above everything else in terms of a website and it becomes the basis of the decision being made, which is really not good marketing.. #justsaying

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The quality of the local tourism office is the most important thing, if I go somewhere and have time and wantt o do something, I go to the local tourist office and see what I can do.
    It is so good that Kilkenny has a new museum.

Many visitors planning a trip anywhere do not always base their decisions on whether or not prices are displayed on a website, app or whatever.
    That's grand if you're loaded and don't have to budget.

When planning a trip knowing cost allows easier planning. Imagine if none of the other attractions advertised rates, wouldn't you think it regressive?

http://www.kilkennycastle.ie/VisitorInformation/

http://www.stcanicescathedral.ie/visitors-information-page50557.html

http://rothehouse.com/visit/

There. Three great attractions with pricing published online so there's no excuse for playing silly buggers expecting visitors to haggle with eggs and mutton.

That's grand if you're loaded and don't have to budget.

When planning a trip knowing cost allows easier planning. Imagine if none of the other attractions advertised rates, wouldn't you think it regressive?

http://www.kilkennycastle.ie/VisitorInformation/

http://www.stcanicescathedral.ie/visitors-information-page50557.html

http://rothehouse.com/visit/

There. Three great attractions with pricing published online so there's no excuse for playing silly buggers expecting visitors to haggle with eggs and mutton.

Simple concise pricing. That's all I asked for.
    Just checked their site and its still the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

The opening hours and prices are clearly available in the about section at the bottom of the page, which can be accessed through the Book Now button
    http://www.medievalmilemuseum.ie/about/

It looks like online booking is not fully available yet. Looking forward to checking it out.

Norinoco wrote: »
    The opening hours and prices are clearly available in the about section at the bottom of the page, which can be accessed through the Book Now button
    http://www.medievalmilemuseum.ie/about/

It looks like online booking is not fully available yet. Looking forward to checking it out.

Fixed. Thank you. I too look forward to visiting..

I too have extensive experience in tourism, I graduated from Shannon college of Hotel Management and I have primarily worked in this industry. Pricing is probably the second most important aspect after location. You can assume it's only around a tenner to visit but nobody wants to go to an attraction and then find out it's €30 or something. I regularly bring out of town friends up Canice's tower, if the museum was over-priced, do you think I'm going to bring them there? Anyway, just checked and prices are on the website, €7 or €12 guided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭holyhead

Had the pleasure of calling in today. Really nice job done and sympathetically so. Interesting exhibits well displayed. As nice as it is €7 seems a bit steep. €5 would have been a fairer price. We also need to look at something like a Kilkenny Card which buys you admission into various tourist attractions around the city. The museum is definitely a quality addition to the existing attractions in the city. Well done to all involved.

holyhead wrote: »
    Had the pleasure of calling in today. Really nice job done and sympathetically so. Interesting exhibits well displayed. As nice as it is €7 seems a bit steep. €5 would have been a fairer price. We also need to look at something like a Kilkenny Card which buys you admission into various tourist attractions around the city. The museum is definitely a quality addition to the existing attractions in the city. Well done to all involved.

http://visitkilkenny.ie/ireland_medieval_mile_in_kilkenny
    What do you get with the Medieval Mile Pass?
    Free Admission To:
    Kilkenny Castle
    Rothe House
    Smithwick's Experience
    St. Canice's Cathedral
    Kilkenny Hurling Way
    Kilkenny Cycling Tours
    Castle Express Train
    Kilkenny City Tours Train
    Kilkenny Ghost Tour
    Discounted prices at a selection of cafes & restaurants.
    Free map of Medieval Mile, Kilkenny.
    Retain your pass as a souvenir.
    With free entry to Kilkenny’s top attractions it’s hard not to save money!
    The Medieval Mile Pass is your ticket in to the top tourist attractions in Kilkenny city. It also gives you discounts in various cafes and restaurants along the mile. Having purchased your pass booklet, the date is stamped by the first attraction you visit and the coupon for that venue is removed on entry. When you have completed your day of visits to your choice of Kilkenny attractions you can then retain the pass booklet as a souvenir.
    The Pass is available through a variety of sales outlets for €29 at
    Participating Hotels
    www.kilkennychamber.ie
    Kilkenny Chamber Office, The Maltings, Tilbury Place, James Street

• Advertisement

Only seen this pass advertised in Macdonagh Junction last week and seems like a great price for all you get

Advertisement