Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work accident question

Options
  • 28-02-2017 7:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there, I hope this is the right place to post this.

I had a fall in work 3 months ago (damaged ground that came loose - wear and tear). Badly damaged leg and ankle and currently undergoing intense physio. I travel as part of my job, but the work doctor and my own doctor will not allow me fit to resume my normal job due to fluid on my ankle and leg.

So i'm out on occupational sick leave, I'm getting paid and have my injury benefit etc with no problems. However, I'm walking the walls at home and want to get back into a working environment. I feel my leg and ankle just aren't getting used enough for them to allow me back working my usual 12 hour shifts (on my feet all day). My doctor has signed me back fit, just not for air travel so this is where the problem occurs. My work say they don't legally have to give me a job in an office on the ground as i'm contracted for a different department (involves flying abroad). Even though I'm getting paid, its a basic pay and i'm already down a few thousand euro.

So basically having a big problem with work. If I hadn't of gone to work that day, I wouldn't be in this position. I feel that my job should be able to provide me with an office job as it's a big company and I know lots of others in my position who have previously been given desk jobs.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

They've no obligation to give you a desk job tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

They have no obligation.

But this is where relationships come in. Can you spot a department that might have something you can do temporarily for them? Or even just one you'd like to get some experience in? Do you know the manager? Or can you find someone you know well enough to ask a favour of, who knows the manager? (Hint: use LinkedIn to find who knows who) .... Ask them ....

Advertisement