Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Interesting insurance renewal notice [Allianz]

• 28-02-2017 10:10pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just thought I'd share an interesting development with my renewal that I got yesterday.

I have a 2001 car and last year was dreading what turning 15 years old would have on my renewal. As it turned out, it was the normal small increment that has been the case for the last few years, so nothing major to worry about. This year however the renewal has gone down by €80, which is great news.

Here's the interesting part though, when I looked at the details, the overall policy amount has gone down, but the NCB discount has gone from 58% last year to 52% this year. Last year had the max 5+ years NCB, whereas this year the max is 9+ years, which I fall under. They are now recognising up to 9 years NCB, but reducing the spread across the years. If I actually only had 5 years, I would imagine that I may break even or have an increase on last year. I would think the people who benefit from this change will be in the minority, but would be interested to hear other peoples experience.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,321 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Good to hear that it's not going up anyways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 797 ✭✭✭cplwhisper

But that means I could have penalties for claim 8 years ago when not as wise a driver as now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

delly wrote: »
    They are now recognising up to 9 years NCB,

Are you sure? I got a renewal this week from them and I think there was still a max of 5 years on it for discount purposes.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Are you sure? I got a renewal this week from them and I think there was still a max of 5 years on it for discount purposes.

I've screen-grabbed in the relevant bit.

410562.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

That's pretty ****ty actually, means everyone who was on what was previously the full discount, who don't have 8/9 years on the scale, will see further rate rises due to them having less of a discount percentage.

On our car that's due for renewal there's 9+ years on the main driver and the quote went up by almost €200 with them this year. However it's via a broker and I immediately got about €150 knocked off it by telling them it's nonsense. But in the policy documentation the broker sent out there's no mention of the new scale.

• Advertisement
Advertisement