Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Car impounded insurance issue

Options
  • 28-02-2017 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Can someone please give me advice
    On my insurance policy it says I have fully comprehensive insurance and can drive other cars. saturday I bought the car, and sunday i was driving it with the intention of transfering my insurance on other car to new car on monday morning when the insurance company would be open, anyway came across garda checkpoint, they impounded car , and said id have to produce insurance and I also will be summoned to court, I dont know what to do, can anyone help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,459 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

3rd party extension doesn't usually cover cars you own.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭mrsbeebee

Yes, unfortunately your driving other cars does not cover a car you own.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Can't see any joy in this OP. Looks like you had no cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

colm_mcm wrote: »
    3rd party extension doesn't usually cover cars you own.

Would the car not still be registered under the previous owner's name until the book comes through?

And if so he would be allowed drive under his 3rd party insurance as long he has pres mission from the owner to do so :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭Allinall

DaraDali wrote: »
    Would the car not still be registered under the previous owner's name until the book comes through?

And if so he would be allowed drive under his 3rd party insurance as long he has pres mission from the owner to do so :rolleyes:

In the event of a claim, it would be very quickly established that the OP owned the car, regardless of who's name was on the log book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭Cheensbo

DaraDali wrote: »

It's not "until the book comes through" it's when the book is signed over that ownership changes.

Unfortunately for the op it looks like they're in trouble.

Allinall wrote: »
    In the event of a claim, it would be very quickly established that the OP owned the car, regardless of who's name was on the log book.

How would they prove anything there?

I like how the name and date of a vlc is used as a stick to beat you when insuring a car:

"how long have you owned it, why wasn't it insured straight away? We're not insuring you because you have owned it 6 months but not insured it"

Then in the event of a claim:

"vlc proves nothing, we say you own it even though it's not in your name, we're not paying out"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭Allinall

Cheensbo wrote: »
    How would they prove anything there?

I like how the name and date of a vlc is used as a stick to beat you when insuring a car:

"how long have you owned it, why wasn't it insured straight away? We're not insuring you because you have owned it 6 months but not insured it"

Then in the event of a claim:

"vlc proves nothing, we say you own it even though it's not in your name, we're not paying out"

"When did you buy the car?"

"The day before I was stopped."

• Registered Users Posts: 7 johncor

Allinall wrote: »
    "When did you buy the car?"

"The day before I was stopped."

It was the saturday night, day before I was stopped, Im thinking of scrapping car now.as the fees are building for.impounding,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭irishgeo

when did you buy the car?

why didnt you arrange for the insurance to change over to the new car on midnight saturday?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You can change insurance over or get someone else with insurance to collect the car.

I guess you told the cops you had just bought the car so you aren't covered as the car is yours and not someone else's.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 117 ✭✭alig123aileen

See insuranceireland.eu and ring them also ring the Motore Insurers Bureau of ireland for independent advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 i know u know

Does the car your driving not need to be insured for your insurance to cover you whilst driving it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Does the car your driving not need to be insured for your insurance to cover you whilst driving it

In a lot of policies they cover you once you don't own the car on an extension of your own policy to drive.

Car still must be roadworthy and again owned by someone else.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Under open drive the car your driving has to be insured by someone by you to be covered. Sorry OP.

Why aren't you collecting it from the pound though?

pilly wrote: »
    Under open drive the car your driving has to be insured by someone by you to be covered. Sorry OP.

None of that is correct, it's 'driving other cars' not open drive that the op would be driving under.

Open drive refers to driving a vehicle owned and insured by others, with cover provided by the vehicle as such, not the driver.

Anyway, not all insurers require the other car to have a policy to be covered for "driving other cars", AFAIK only aviva and 1 or two others require this at the moment. But either wayN it will be written in the policy document, which should be checked before going driving other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 johncor

Im liable for all impound fees if I cant produce insurance cert, I could swop insurance over, as I planned on doing but still have to pay fees if I swop over, car was low cost, it was nctd and taxed, also still waiting on vlc cert which proves ownership. And I have to present this to station which could take weeks the only thing I have at the moment is cert of insurance for my other car that says I can drive other cars

Can't you get it trailered out? Or are they refusing to release it at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,791 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

johncor wrote: »
    Im liable for all impound fees if I cant produce insurance cert, I could swop insurance over, as I planned on doing but still have to pay fees if I swop over, car was low cost, it was nctd and taxed, also still waiting on vlc cert which proves ownership. And I have to present this to station which could take weeks the only thing I have at the moment is cert of insurance for my other car that says I can drive other cars

Your problem is the VLC change date will show you owned the car om the date in question and so voided insurance for driving other cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,286 ✭✭✭emo72

It's not very user friendly to buy a car outside of office hours in fairness. Most people want to keep within the law, but damn it, insurance is a nightmare.

• Advertisement
Advertisement