Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Concealing an externally mounted EVSE?

Options
  • 28-02-2017 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭

Am having an ESVE fitted on the garage wall in the driveway in the next while.
    my instinct is go for a tethered EVSE which I would like to conceal in a recessed box in the garage wall.

Is using ESB meter box verboten under the regs and if so, anyone got any alternative legal suggestions please.
    Its a brick skin on a 9" block wall so plenty room, and access from back of the wall in the garage.
    I am thinking of locking it with a magnetic lock like used on firedoors
    Thanks as always

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

I reckon you want one of those self-recoiling spools such as the ones on air supply lines in garages, or the mains flex on your vacuum cleaner. You can pull it out slowly, and it stays in place. Then give it a quick pull, and it will automatically coil itself onto the spool. You could put the spool in the garage. I'm sure you can buy them from some industrial supply company. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

I have fitted these units and I think you will be extremely tight for space in a meter box.
    I see what the previous poster is getting at but i haven't seen a recoil one yet and I'm not sure they would be a good idea
    Any I've fitted allow the charging lead wrap around the charging unit neatly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Thanks, any thoughts on the preferred install height and tethered vs untethered.
    My concern with tethered is vandalism

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Thanks, any thoughts on the preferred install height and tethered vs untethered.
    My concern with tethered is vandalism

I haven't seen issues with vandalism with my chargepoints, even in central Dublin. If it's a major concern... go for the untethered, less convenient but also less inviting.
    If it's really really a problem... a steel post commercial chargepoint like Rolec's StreetServ.... to match the steel bars you'd obviously have on your windows in that situation.
    Is using ESB meter box verboten under the regs and if so, anyone got any alternative legal suggestions please.

I'ts not permitted and it wouldn't fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

I read it that the op was trying to fit a separate meter type box for his system
    There may be air circulation issues even if it would fit inside
    Your quite right though that no other equipment is allowed in the Esb meter box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,471 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Advertisement