Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

km79 wrote: »
    Sunniest day in ages in East Galway
    Wasn't expecting it!

First bit of sun I have seen in over a week. (well, apart from less than 2 minutes worth last Saturday morning)

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Yet another amazingly sunny day! Temps got up to 12c too today so not that bleak.

The plants must be loving all the sun here in West Clare, it has actually gotten quite green as of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Yet another amazingly sunny day! Temps got up to 12c too today so not that bleak.

The plants must be loving all the sun here in West Clare, it has actually gotten quite green as of late.

You've really been spoilt :o. Not really haha, ofc I'm joking. It's just nature evening things out with how us in the east normally get the most sun.

EDIT: Oops, didn't mean that embarrassed emoji.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Weird day started okay, a few showers around midday/lunch and now it's very mild and Spring like.

Presumably winter starts tomorrow.

Now it's very mild and Spring like.
    Even though the cold front has passed through. Weird indeed :confused:.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Much the same in Galway city - temp reached 12.9C and it felt quite pleasant out of the breeze.
    Clouding over now and feeling chilly at 8.0C

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Recent light hail. 8.4c/3.6cDP after a high of 12.4c.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Some difference across the country: 3.0c at Ballypatrick Co. Antrim to 13.0c in Sherkin Island Co. Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Another couple of charts to illustrate the similarities between the current set up and the set up this time last year. Really only one day in the difference, but both on a Monday (Nerd alert)

ERlUf15.png

Images sourced from Met Éireann.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

sryanbruen wrote: »
    You've really been spoilt :o. Not really haha, ofc I'm joking. It's just nature evening things out with how us in the east normally get the most sun.

EDIT: Oops, didn't mean that embarrassed emoji.

Ah it has been nice here, just trying to rub it in because its rarely so nice here when the rest of the country has such poor weather.

Remarkably dry here too this month, I've recorded only 7.4mm!

Quite windy this evening, 2min average of 18kts from NNW. Getting cooler (Although still quite sunny, the suns getting strong this time of year), 9.8c now.

Start of may is looking really quite nice!

• Advertisement

Ah it has been nice here, just trying to rub it in because its rarely so nice here when the rest of the country has such poor weather.

Remarkably dry here too this month, I've recorded only 7.4mm!

Quite windy this evening, 2min average of 18kts from NNW. Getting cooler (Although still quite sunny, the suns getting strong this time of year), 9.8c now.

Start of may is looking really quite nice!

At least I've still recorded less rainfall than you :D with 5.1mm but just barely! May is also looking very similar to the start of last May. What is with all this consistency? Cold end to April, warm start to May?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Irishweather

Well, its not very warm here. It's been sunny all day with the temperature falling gradually.

Right now, I have a temperature of 5c and a dew point of -4c.

First showers approaching the coast now. Should be snow here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

There were a couple of light snow showers up the Dublin mountains today at about 5 o clock.

Must've been high up..

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Have had a few light flurries since 3.30pm, currently 3.3C. dp -0.7C.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

Must've been high up..

Not very high, about 400m. It was quite unexpected because it didn't feel cold at all, but it was definitely snow falling.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looks like a band of precip ( occluded front I think ) making its way onto N'ly coasts soon if it hasn't reached already.

Zbx84L8.gif

JI2eXhi.gif

EDIT:

Just looking at the precipitation charts and it would suggest that the main band of rain will start making it onshore around 23.00 and then sweeping across the country in the early hours. Could get interesting on the N coasts too around 23.00 with potential for lightning also I think. So dusting on high ground by morning perhaps?

lo15Ut5.png

WZ5Nbqs.png

Yes. Black clouds to my north.

Just ice pellets here despite it being 3c. Don't understand why I always get ice/hail in these kind of patterns while higher levels get snow.

The conditions are perfect.

Anybody know why this would be falling as icy rain despite negative dew points, 3c and respectful 850 temps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Was out for a walk with the dog it's like the middle of winter in west Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Ah you can't beat some nice clean arctic air whatever the time of year. A refreshing 4.2c here currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Anybody know why this would be falling as icy rain despite negative dew points, 3c and respectful 850 temps?

Wet bulb temperature is still above zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

8pm reports. 4 degrees at Knock along with Recent Snow :)

So it's snowing at Knock at 4c and raining at 3c here? Eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

@irishweather- are you right at the coast? Firstly snow wasn't really forecast. Secondary near the coast the air will be modified by the sea so the showers will fall as rain or ice pellets. In a heavy downpour you might get heavy hail and then some wet snow as the hail can bring the colder air to the surface in the downdraft!

Freezing level is 400m. Don't see why it wouldn't snow.

Anyway. I'm in the warm sector now, maybe later tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Knock Airport has a climate all unto itself.

Temp at 3c. Steady icy rain. Glenshane will probably be white tomorrow when I'm driving to the airport.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

It's raining in Galway city with some sloppy sleet in the heavier bursts.
    Mind you, there's so much cherry blossom flying around it looks like a snow storm!
    Temp 3.9C
    DP 1.7C

Advertisement