Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭mountainy man

A few showers of grauple during the night, fairly hard frost with a low of 0.3C. I'm hoping there is not too much damage done in the garden. Currently 0.8C.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

It's snowing here :).

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

South Dublin CC - rumble of thunder and some hailstones.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Stuck in my car in Dublin 6 being pelted by monster hailstones! Thunder and lightning too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Definitely not graupel or hailstones???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

Only in Ireland. It will be sunny later no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

highdef wrote: »

It was hailstones,not snow.

If it was graupel or hailstones, I would say so. Since the "graupel" incident in February 2016, I think I know how to differ graupel and hailstones from snow.

Only in Ireland. It will be sunny later no doubt.

It was, 15 minutes later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Alternating between sleet and wet snow here in South Laois. Dew point hovering around 1c and air temps just below 5c.

• Advertisement

Danno wrote: »
    Alternating between sleet and wet snow here in South Laois. Dew point hovering around 1c and air temps just below 5c.

Trying to remember, are you on high ground in south Laois? I know some parts go to over 300m in the south of the county.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

had a short shower with some flakes of snow in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

If it was graupel or hailstones, I would say so. Since the "graupel" incident in February 2016, I think I know how to differ graupel and hailstones from snow.

No chance it was snow. Nearby Dublin airport reported 8.9 °C (dp -2.5 °C) and rain a rain shower at 1 pm. At 2 pm it reported recent hail showers. It's not possible for snow to fall in that temp/DP combination. It may have been melting hail but not snow, sorry.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

very heavy hail shower here now

No chance it was snow. Nearby Dublin airport reported 8.9 °C (dp -2.5 °C) and rain a rain shower at 1 pm. At 2 pm it reported recent hail showers. It's not possible for snow to fall in that temp/DP combination. It may have been melting hail but not snow, sorry.

I agree....I would go with melting hail. It can often look a bit like snow. Also, sryanbruen is situated very close to the coast and almost at sea level so would be one of the least likely to have seen any sort of falling snow in the east. Even IF there were a few snow flakes mixed in, you still couldn't call it "snowing" - that would be sleet. "Snowing" means that the precip is all snow, not a mix or rain/snow (sleet).

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

At the start of a heavy hail shower earlier, it was definitely melting/melted hail that fell first. White, soft and splodgy.

Dry here in Dublin 16 since lunchtime/1pm. 8.6c atm.

Trying to remember, are you on high ground in south Laois? I know some parts go to over 300m in the south of the county.
    Nope, 89m ASL here in the valley by the Nore HighDef. There was a mix of everything in that 3pm shower, rain, sleet, wet snow and graupel. Deffo a few white flakes! :)

Big graupel balls coming down in KK City
    Knowin yea lads down over the border yea'll belt them with hurls! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,535 ✭✭✭droidman123

I live literally down the road,it was definitely hailstones.people come on here and exaggerate all the time,a heavy shower is called " biblical rain" a few days of humid weather is called "amazonian tempertures" makes a mockery of people genuinely interested in the weather and it's very annoying

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

What a **** day for the end of April cold showery crap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It's windy out, and not very warm (hovered between 8-10c all day) but it's not truly awful, not as bad as I expected. Sunny most of the day, and no rain at all surprisingly (bar a few small drops, certainly nowhere near enough to register on the rainfall gague)

West Clare

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Last shower of hail/ rain knocked 4C off the temperature down to 4.8C now here near Tralee. Cold night in store and looks like the NW,N, W and maybe parts of the E and SE getting a few showers ( Met Eireann saying mostly rain and hail in coastal counties of the N and NW ) overnight .

2J27jyz.png

rj5OLdv.png

mk4Qidq.png

oqpYPVN.png

n9ccPDN.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Dry in Waterford bar one hail shower and the odd blustery "pseudo shower" but it was the gusty wind that was the main feature esp mid afternoon when it suddenly became pretty violent for a while. And yet when the wind died down and the sun was out it was grand! Irish weather :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

So much for the Mayo drought, we have had nearly 10mm of rain today, gusty at times with heavy hail showers as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,652 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

Not the worst day here in Dublin 7 - it's amazing how much more the sun does to warm you up even with a very chilly wind in April vs January. I'd imagine it'll get very cold tonight though.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Buffalobill29

Clowds looking fuzzy and its cold rn, think i will snow later.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Had a few showers of grauple here today, nothing too exciting....

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Met Eireann saying timing of weather this weekend uncertain at this stage. Models are differing but one feature I see is what I think is a Negative Tilted Trough, associated with the potential for more inclement weather and unstable atmosphere showing up on Sunday . The ARPEGE is showing the potential for strong winds in the S on Sunday. This is very uncertain but interesting to watch it develop or not. ( (IMO )

mPg4k4z.gif

uorou29.png

hljfLpt.png

KLB48wa.png

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Looking like conditions for the Great Limerick Run on Sunday could be nasty for running, am doing it myself, wish it was last weekend!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Syran I know you've done this before but am I right in thinking the weather at may bank holiday has been patchy to say the least historically?

Advertisement