Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Syran I know you've done this before but am I right in thinking the weather at may bank holiday has been patchy to say the least historically?

Yeah, May Bank Holiday weekend has a tendency to be poor and this year's one could potentially be very wet in places though there is a lot of uncertainty even up to this point about the position of the trough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Up in Dublin today it's quite dull and cold not nice spring weather at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Squeaksoutloud

Don't worry. Next week looks nicer...I think! Models still look relatively good to me.

Don't worry. Next week looks nicer...I think! Models still look relatively good to me.

Be nice to have good weather for the weekend. At this stage it's looking gloomy cool and then wet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Only passed 200mm for the year there yesterday morning when 1.2mm was recorded. Quite dry when you consider we should be at 290mm for this time of the year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

Danno wrote: »
    Only passed 200mm for the year there yesterday morning when 1.2mm was recorded. Quite dry when you consider we should be at 290mm for this time of the year.

I don't think we have had as dry a spell in my 10 years in East Galway
    Really enjoying it even if it has been dull
    Hope we won't pay for it this summer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I think as far as official stations go, Newport has recorded the most rain with about 500mm so far this year.

Xenji wrote: »
    I think as far as official stations go, Newport has recorded the most rain with about 500mm so far this year.

Ever since December 2014, Newport has had some very wet months.

On next week's more "settled spell", the models continue to downgrade the temperatures as we get closer into the reliable time frame.

See for yourself in the GFS ensembles for the week ahead here with the upper air temperatures & precipitation for Dublin.

GFSENS12_53_-6_205.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Hard to know exactly how much rain going to fall on Sunday. Munster seems to get the heaviest rainfall overnight and earlier in the day before it spreads up the country in lighter amounts . Windy weekend but doesn't look particularly strong at this stage . Kerry might see some high gusts Sat evening depending on how close that front gets.

20170427.1817.PPVK89.png

eVCYFKJ.png

m9jz0JC.png

H8GCsNo.png

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

267mm recorded here in West Clare, but still only 7.4mm this month! Haven't seen a rain drop, hailstone, snowflake or anything in quite a while. Best we had was a bit of drizzle that lasted a few minutes a few days ago.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

How long do we have to be without rain for it to be considered a drought?
    Is it 2 weeks?:confused:

I've not been far off average with 161mm of rainfall compared to the average of 195mm for up to this point of the year. February and March were reasonably wet to keep my total quite close to average.

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    How long do we have to be without rain for it to be considered a drought?
    Is it 2 weeks?:confused:

15 consecutive days with 0.1mm or less.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

sryanbruen wrote: »
    15 consecutive days with 0.1mm or less.

a couple of days :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,743 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

These FI charts are a real kick in the teeth. Some of the outputs being shown, the GFS in particular, would have led to great joy last January.
    Mother nature likes trolling us.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Big change to our week of relatively calm weather tomorrow with a windy day and blustery on Atlantic coastal counties. Looks like there could be a lot of rain in Kerry / Cork during the early hours of Sun morning as the front starts making its way inland.

GLqw27n.png

vq4tDmb.png

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

bit of a long shot but does anyone have a forecast of at least 1 completely totally dry day without precipitation in the county Sligo area ? :) - I have an outside wall I have to finish off painting, and so far, for the last week or so it has rained at least once a day

bit of a long shot but does anyone have a forecast of at least 1 completely totally dry day without precipitation in the county Sligo area ? :) - I have an outside wall I have to finish off painting, and so far, for the last week or so it has rained at least once a day

My guess right now would be Wednesday but take it with a pinch of salt.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Is this heatwave still gonna come or has it faded away

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

sryanbruen wrote: »
    My guess right now would be Wednesday but take it with a pinch of salt.

thanks , its better than not having any idea.

Cant always rely on ME long term forecasts - today they could say dry on Wednesday and by Tuesday afternoon it could change to 'Rain all day tomorrow' !

• Advertisement

Heatwave? What heatwave?

What heatwave? :pac:

Warmer temperatures has always been expected next week, but a heatwave was never expected :pac:.

Bank holiday Saturday morning and its teaming down with rain. Who would have guessed!!!!

Bank holiday Saturday morning and its teaming down with rain. Who would have guessed!!!!

Anyone who read the forecast?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

There is a fierce and fearsome wind blowing up here in the mountains.. Blossom-confetti... cold blasts.. So many fine outdoor events on; so far no rain though. Wuthering away it is ;) Connemara

The models still grappling with this developing complex weather set up overnight and into tomorrow, I see in the last couple of runs this area of strong winds showing up in Kerry tomorrow on the Southern flank of the LP. Will probably warrant a wind warning.

VdVHwIb.png

0LtVamo.gif

Some good temps there for Tues coming into a more reliable time frame now. Weds and Thurs looking good also.

YUnepGh.png

6s1sYko.png

fpR4I8p.gif

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Anyone who read the forecast?

My point as I'm sure as well you know it is the disappointment for those who work all week and look forward to weekends such as this to get out and about to have squally showers and 10 degrees at the end of April. It's really disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

My point as I'm sure as well you know it is the disappointment for those who work all week and look forward to weekends such as this to get out and about to have squally showers and 10 degrees at the end of April. It's really disappointing.

Yesterday was so lovely. Was out all day in the stillness and sun. Such a shame

• Advertisement

Just as your point always is, pure misery.

Rather than immerse myself in the misery of Ireland in going to go ahead and be glad that we've gotten very dry weather lately and that next weeks looks great again.

Advertisement