Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Just as your point always is, pure misery.

Rather than immerse myself in the misery of Ireland in going to go ahead and be glad that we've gotten very dry weather lately and that next weeks looks great again.

I would be more optimistic about the very dry weather if it weren't so dull. This has to be my second dullest April on record.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Just as your point always is, pure misery.

Rather than immerse myself in the misery of Ireland in going to go ahead and be glad that we've gotten very dry weather lately and that next weeks looks great again.

Well unfortunately I won't get the opportunity to immerse myself much in the good weather you speak of. April was dry but cold and dull. How this equates to great weather I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Very very dry! My water supply comes, to be poetic " from a mountain stream" and the taps are now dry.... I have bottled water in but we need rain.. am in Connemara ...Wondered what was wrong for a minute..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

While Ireland has had a relatively dry week, all the rain has been falling over southern Spain for days now. It's been cold, wet, windy and miserable there since Wednesday. Still wet and wild there today.

https://www.webcamfuengirola.com/webcam-paseo/

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Officially a drought since 4:30 here in West Clare, 15 consecutive days with no rainfall recorded.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Rain expected to be heavy at times as it travels up along the East during the day

iXgFCUk.gif

iuDFyQ2.gif

EvGp9rh.png

Predicted accumulation by 20.00

nkHiP6r.png

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Dry here in northeast Wicklow for now. The advancement of the front is very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Dry in north meath again today, despite the radar showing we got some rain earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

I'd be very skeptical of the radar. With the low cloud base, the beam at that sort of distance is at such a high level that its just echoing off the clouds themselves. So returns certainly don't match reports form Wexford and Waterford.

ao.sprd2.gif

nao.sprd2.gif

Looking like the AO and NAO are going very strongly negative as we go into May which is NOT a good sign at all for warm and sunny conditions. With this indexes, easterly winds will dominate us and bring us quite cool weather at times. It will be a March 2013 like month albeit much warmer than that with the north being significantly drier than average whilst the south could have low pressure threaten from time to time and bring rainfall above average.

To leave this on a positive note, if the NAO continues to be negative 'til the end of May, then it greatly increases the chance of northern blocking which in turn increases the chance of a cold Winter.

• Advertisement

The rain has arrived in Greystones

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

looks to be another relatively cool week to come with temperatures struggling in the low teens for much of the coming week. Whatever talk there was here a week ago of warm conditions seems to be well and truly gone now. The easterly breeze will have a bite to it over the next week or so.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Quite windy but great sunshine in Kerry today getting up to 14.9C here near Tralee. I see Shannon got up to 15.2C.

13.1C atm

6Iwul7C.jpg?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Gonzo wrote: »
    looks to be another relatively cool week to come with temperatures struggling in the low teens for much of the coming week. Whatever talk there was here a week ago of warm conditions seems to be well and truly gone now. The easterly breeze will have a bite to it over the next week or so.

In the east :P

Looks a decent week with mid to high teens in the South and West. Possibility of 20 degrees in the West on Tuesday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

While Ireland has had a relatively dry week, all the rain has been falling over southern Spain for days now. It's been cold, wet, windy and miserable there since Wednesday. Still wet and wild there today.

https://www.webcamfuengirola.com/webcam-paseo/

Always something so satisfying about seeing Spain getting a dousing! :pac:

As for today after a miserable chilly morning, the skies have cleared and the temp feels higher.

Looking forward to a bright and sunny week ahead, not bothered about the temps. Work keeps me warm.

Well I see temps of up to 20c for me ;)

Beautiful sunny day, other than the wind it would have been perfect.

Very surprised given the forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Terrific morning in the north east, clear blue sky and sunshine, feeling warm in the garden already

Overcast and cool here in West Clare, but the day is promised good.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭blackbird99

Glorious morning here in south tipp

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

Beautiful morning in east galway
    Some run of weather !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Waterford city - mix of sun and cloud, getting mildish though there is a breeze at times.

Fantastic morning compared to yesterday.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Just looked there at the Met Eireann forecast until Sunday and the word 'rain' does not appear :cool:

Nearly a week since a morning as beautiful as today's. I hope I completely forget about April 2017, my god horribly dull month.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

17.3C in Castlebar currently, nice way to end a very dull and unsettled weekend.

After a dull start it has cleared nicely to blue skies with a few passing clouds here near Tralee.

14.1C atm

OGIMET Temps rounded
    FQbDRVP.png?1

beautifull day today, wasn't expecting it. doesn't feel as chilly as the real temperature. A pleasant change after what seemed like a very dull and often cold April.

edit: got up to 16C here so far, much milder than what I was expecting.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

beautifull day today...

Ditto here in Dublin.
    ....wasn't expecting it.

I was!

Brought the kids to the zoo this morning. Set off when it was cloudy. By the time we got there, the sun was breaking through...no queues! Wall to wall sunshine after we got into the zoo. Great day for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Rainfall totals and percentages of normal for April from the reporting Met Éireann stations.

Sorted by total (Ascending)

0Y8Dnxf.png

Sorted by percentage (Ascending)

TWfbn52.png

Exceptionally dry everywhere with only Malin Hd & Valentia scraping above 50% of average.

Data Source: Met Éireann

New Moon

• Advertisement

Looking very decent ahead. There's the chance that an area of low pressure will threaten the south coast on Saturday but at this stage, it could not be even close to our shores once we get closer to then. Even if it does threaten our shores, it will hardly make in roads up the country as the high pressure is too stubborn for it to progress. As we go into next week, the winds turn more to a northeasterly rather than an easterly. Nevertheless, still looking settled with plenty of dry weather. Some places may even consider having an official drought if it continues into the third week of May.

This is a shocking statistic. Edinburgh, Scotland, normally quite a wet place recorded only 4mm of rainfall during the whole of April 2017 which made it the station's driest April on record.

Advertisement