Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Yet again, another stunning morning here.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

No surprise really that April finished with above average MSLP values right across the north Atlantic. Chart showing mean pressure & anomaly for the month:

wnhYUiA.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

3rd day in a row of a clear sky with hours and hours of unbroken sunshine, I could get used to this

April 2017 monthly summary from Met Éireann is out now:
    April was mild and exceptionally dry, due mainly to the overall prevalence of high pressure. While the early part of the first week was changeable due to the passage of fronts from the West, an anticyclone built over Ireland from the South on the 4th. This regime remained well established during the rest of the first and second week, bringing mostly fine, settled and dry weather. Pressure declined a little for the third week allowing a mild westerly airflow to develop, and associated weak fronts affected mainly the north of the country, though it stayed generally dry. However it became colder for the final week as a northerly flow set in on the 24th bringing showers and some night frosts. Then it turned noticeably unsettled for the final days of the month as a strengthening southeast wind flow developed ahead of active frontal systems from the Atlantic. This brought some of the heavier rainfall especially to the South and West.

Read more here:

http://cli.met.ie/cli/bulletin/data/2017/04/sum_042017.pdf

The highest monthly sunshine in April was only 128 hours at Valentia Observatory?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

I am not so sure April was mild, it felt cold much of the time!.

• Advertisement

Gonzo wrote: »
    I am not so sure April was mild, it felt cold much of the time!.

It's due to how mild the first half was and given the fact it was so dull. Normally when it's dull at this time of year, it feels cool. Even the "cold" Arctic blast days of last week like Tuesday or Wednesday weren't that overly cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Pretty dull month here too, just 100 hours of sun recorded versus long term average of 151, quite a lot of very overcast days,

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,015 ✭✭✭John.Icy

Gotten a lot more breezy in D9 the last hour or so. Feels notably cooler compared to earlier. Nice to have such clear skies nevertheless.

Curse of an east wind I guess - glorious clear skies but a pesky chill on the wind towards the East Coast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Waterford - Wall to wall sun with variable breeze, which out of the sun is quite nippy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Very low Relative Humidity today around the country, down to 43% atm here near Tralee and still 16.2C after a high of 18.4C. Wind from the E and on the coast earlier there was a bit of a nip as it was quite fresh for a time although gone light now. Nearly fully clear sky this evening , glorious weather.

Ogimet

46Ne3GP.png?1

• Advertisement

Just as an announcement to confirm what I said a few weeks ago, I am indeed going ahead with the Irish weather stations tables that I'll post every 15/16 days. So a 1st-15th (or 1st-14th for February, or 1st-16th for months with 31 days) period table and full monthly table will be posted. I said previously that if you would like to see them, you will need to go to the Irish Weather Statistics thread because I feel that this is the thread most appropriate for the tables.

On the tables, I will show all the following for each station:

- Mean Temperature
    - Mean Maximum Temperature
    - Mean Minimum Temperature
    - Maximum Air Temperature
    - Minimum Air Temperature
    - Rainfall Total
    - Wettest Day
    - Sunshine Total (if available)
    - Sunniest Day (if available)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Lovely unbroken sunshine all day, especially amazing in a sheltered sunny area, max of 16.8c today and quite breezy.

Humidity low of 35%.

West Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Gusty around the country. 5pm several stations gusting 31 knots.

Unbroken sunshine again today, 4th day in row, but it has been the windiest day of the week so far but still glorious weather

Great to hear Gerald Fleming on the met eireann broadcast on radio 1 just now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Overcast and windy here for most of the day. The odd bit of brightness appearing. I was in cork airport this morning and it was very cold. Tomorrow and Saturday look ti be cold days hopefully Sunday will bring us some warmth and sun again. Monday and Tuesday were lovely days here yesterday less so and today has been meh. Great to have it dry though.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,949 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Wind to increase on the E coast this evening and later to increase across the midlands to the W. Tomorrow looks freshest in the S and SW and later in the evening picks up in most areas.

It04zF7.png

TLIShmY.png

hMlQSqt.png

Overcast and windy here for most of the day. The odd bit of brightness appearing. I was in cork airport this morning and it was very cold. Tomorrow and Saturday look ti be cold days hopefully Sunday will bring us some warmth and sun again. Monday and Tuesday were lovely days here yesterday less so and today has been meh. Great to have it dry though.

Come to my area where with the exception of this morning, it has been continuous blue skies since Monday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Overcast from about 11 until half an hour ago here in West Clare, still a fine day despite this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

Absolutely beautiful day in Mayo/Connemara today. Got my first sunburn

• Advertisement

Dublin city centre was overcast til late morning. In sheltered spots such as behind my office in Dublin 2 it was lovely and warm when the sun came out. However when I took a walk down to Grand Canal Quay at lunch there was a very chilly breeze.
    Am hoping tomorrow evening will be warm enough to sit out on the grass at the Trinity bar in the evening.

Vincent o shea on the late night forecast on radio 1, been ages since I heard him!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

decent day today, but certainly chilly. not as pleasant as the start of the week.

It's cold today and windy. I wonder will the indo run any warmer than Spain headlines today.

Lovely day in the north east again, 5th day in a row of clear sky and sunshine, its breezy again but nothing to chilly, still in my t-shirt

Felt very cold this morning in Kerry with overcast windy conditions up until early afternoon and picked up thereafter with cloud eventually breaking up . Was only around 10 to 11C much of the morning but rose in the afternoon to 17.2C and currently 14.2C.

Roll on Sunday

ABwdaHP.png

Winds should be light for most too

ZOu5gfl.png

Belmullet did well again today with a max of 17.5C ( 17.6C yesterday ) where as Johnstown Castle just got a max of 12.7C today and 13C yesterday.

Ogimet

U74Hk5G.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

17.3C in Castlebar today, making it the 5th day in a row to get over 17C, although it has been quite gusty the last two days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

Wind wud cut ya in kilkenny

• Advertisement

jambofc wrote: »
    Wind wud cut ya in kilkenny

I sometimes think I'm the only one who thinks that. By any stretch in this part of the world it's been quite chilly and windy the last few days. This morning is very dull less windy but cold.

Advertisement