Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭prosaic

Looks like a fire down on western Dublin / Wicklow hills.
    See glow over ridge from D15.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Newport looks like the favored spot again today. 21c there at 2pm.

Meanwhile, 13.7c atm here in Dublin 16. Lovely day, but chilly out of the sun.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,918 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Newport reporting 22c at 3pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,069 ✭✭✭compsys

Hey - can anyone explain the difference in weather conditions between today and yesterday that’s led to such a big drop in temperature along the Dublin/East coast?

I understand the process of sea breezes cooling down temperature etc. but there’s not really that strong a breeze in Dublin today.

Also, the Dublin temp of 12 degrees is even lower than that reached a few days ago when the breeze was stronger (and the sun fractionally weaker).

I’d also imagine that 12 degrees isn’t that much warmer than the Irish sea itself!

For mid May, with blue skies, and a gentle enough breeze, the temps seem especially low for the East coast. At least when you compare them to the West.

Would be interested to know the reasons why. Is there colder air to begin with over the East? It’s rare to see a difference of over 10 degrees between locations during late spring/summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,177 ✭✭✭pad199207

compsys wrote: »
    Hey - can anyone explain the difference in weather conditions between today and yesterday that’s led to such a big drop in temperature along the Dublin/East coast?

I understand the process of sea breezes cooling down temperature etc. but there’s not really that strong a breeze in Dublin today.

Also, the Dublin temp of 12 degrees is even lower than that reached a few days ago when the breeze was stronger (and the sun fractionally weaker).

I’d also imagine that 12 degrees isn’t that much warmer than the Irish sea itself!

For mid May, with blue skies, and a gentle enough breeze, the temps seem especially low for the East coast. At least when you compare them to the West.

Would be interested to know the reasons why. Is there colder air to begin with over the East? It’s rare to see a difference of over 10 degrees between locations during late spring/summer.

Wind is fairly strong today in Kildare. Making it feel cold in the wind but roasting in the sun.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

yesterday was hands down the best and warmest day of the year so far, making it to 19C. Today is still blue skies and sunny but the wind is really taking any warmth away and a cool 12C.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Stunning day in Galway City, I'm showing 20.5 degrees on my weather station may or may be not right but its been some day today

• Registered Users Posts: 18,170 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Far better​ than yesterday here in West Clare, currently 19.2c and it reached 20.6c earlier.

Getting a little cloudy now though, but until now it's been completely sunny with absoutley no clouds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Clear sky and sunshine again for me, good bit cooler then yesterday, but absolutely roasting in the garden, thats well sheltered from the wind

• Registered Users Posts: 15,400 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Nice satellite image of Ireland today - https://lance3.modaps.eosdis.nasa.gov/imagery/subsets/?subset=United_Kingdom_Ireland.2017128.terra.500m

3 separate gorse/forest fires easy to see sadly.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

Another glorious day in Galway City with a high of 20.7C :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

20.6C in Castlebar, just a very light breeze as well today.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,212 ✭✭✭✭km79

Roasting in east galway
    I've really enjoyed summer 17
    Pity it's about to end :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

prosaic wrote: »
    Looks like a fire down on western Dublin / Wicklow hills.
    See glow over ridge from D15.

Yeah still burning today, seems to be on Corrig Mountain.

Here's the view SW from Cruagh Mountain this afternoon.

vI1Qw8t.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

It is a role reversal of last summer's weather where the east got the better weather and the west was covered in heavy cloud with high humidity.

The heather on the hills won't need much to light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Rougies

It is a role reversal of last summer's weather where the east got the better weather and the west was covered in heavy cloud with high humidity.

The heather on the hills won't need much to light.

Not really. It's still lovely weather here in the east, just chilly out of the sun.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

compsys wrote: »

The airmass is a lot colder today than yesterday. Look at the difference in 850 theta e for the two days.

Today
    2017050818_5.gif

Yesterday

2017050718_5.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

km79 wrote: »
    Roasting in east galway
    I've really enjoyed summer 17
    Pity it's about to end :D

Potential 20-22c next week, according to the long range models (doubt it though)..... IF YOU'RE LIVING IN THE EAST :rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭Comhrá

(Apologies for the large file size)

jpeg&width=1558&height=1030

• Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭MayoForSam

Easy enough to make out that big gorse fire near Moycullen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,112 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Here are some current temperatures from around Europe.
    Helsinki 4c, Stockholm 2c, Moscow 4c, Vienna 6c, Berlin 8c.
    Unusually cold, a little research told me that the average daily high for May in Moscow is 18.6c and Stockholm 16.4c.
    The ice age cometh!! we might even see snow again!
    https://www.thelocal.se/20170508/snow-in-may-arctic-winds-ruin-spring-for-sweden

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,859 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

another perfect day here, could be warmer but still extremely pleasant. Hopefully the return to unsettled will be short lived.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Lumi

416897.JPG

It's definitely hazy in Galway city now that the smoke from the gorse fires in Cloosh Valley has reached us!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Lumi wrote: »
    416897.JPG

It's definitely hazy in Galway city now that the smoke from the gorse fires in Cloosh Valley has reached us!

Terrible in Newcastle have to keep all windows closed tonight , even the Sun is blotted out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

The last 9 days have been beautiful in the west.
    As nice as you could get. Sunny and warm but not too hot. No humidity either which makes getting outside so much more enjoyable.

April and May when they come good tend to give lovely weather. Later in June or July and it is too hot but even more so you have high humidity.

For any tourist in Ireland at the moment they are getting to see the country at its best.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

its nice ,when getting up for work at 5am that the sky is clear blue, lasting all day until after 10pm. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,135 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

any charts for sunday Meteorite ? good crew of us heading to the airshow in westport

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Another cloudless sunny day in the North East, will really miss it from tomorrow on

Another cloudless sunny day in the North East, will really miss it from tomorrow on

I could easily manage these blue skies and no rain every single day between now and October.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Gonzo wrote: »
    I could easily manage these blue skies and no rain every single day between now and October.

Ah you'd end up getting depressed and before you know it Irish people wouldn't be talking to each other about the weather.:D

Advertisement