Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Spring 2017 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,615 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Just walked out of work and it's cloudy. It's laughable really.

:pac::pac: Nature loves trolling you. Poor Clonmel1000 :cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Just walked out of work and it's cloudy. It's laughable really.

I wished that on you, have the fog and cloud machine just outside Carrick facing your way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Was in Waterford working yesterday and it was cloudy up to 5pm

Sun back out again beautiful warm evening. Did I see mention somewhere of 13 degrees next week???

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Heighway61

I wonder when the rain will arrive in east Donegal? met.ie say Friday afternoon/evening, BBC say 3am Saturday (Derry) and Netweather say 4pm Saturday (Derry). About a 12 hour spread.

Weekend plans could be a wash out.

Edit: As soon a I type this Netweather bring the breakdown forward to 10am Sat. Still, three differing forecasts.

• Advertisement

Sun back out again beautiful warm evening. Did I see mention somewhere of 13 degrees next week???

Yeah but they said "lows" along with it indicating night time temperatures so :confused:.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    Yeah but they said "lows" along with it indicating night time temperatures so :confused:.

Ah ok that's not to bad so. How's it looking for the long weekend do you think Syran?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭riggerman

The sun has finally said hello down here in Cork

Ah ok that's not to bad so. How's it looking for the long weekend do you think Syran?

Sorry for asking this :p but by long weekend do you mean this coming weekend? If that is so, I think it will be some heavy rain early Saturday - continuing in the north for much of the UK. Then after that plenty of fine sunny intervals for Sunday and Monday in fresh, fine temperatures. Friday tomorrow is looking like another very warm day. Still very sunny in the east but it will be cloudier in the west with some rain arriving as the day goes on. Not looking as terrible as people are making it out to be.

[LEVEL 1 Weather Alert - Be Aware] Rainfall Warning various counties 26 / 27 May 2017

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057745263

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Malin head new May temperature record set this afternoon since records began in 1885. 25 degrees. and might break that record again tomorrow.

Sorry for asking this :p but by long weekend do you mean this coming weekend? If that is so, I think it will be some heavy rain early Saturday - continuing in the north for much of the UK. Then after that plenty of fine sunny intervals for Sunday and Monday in fresh, fine temperatures. Friday tomorrow is looking like another very warm day. Still very sunny in the east but it will be cloudier in the west with some rain arriving as the day goes on. Not looking as terrible as people are making it out to be.

No, the long weekend is the bank holiday weekend, which has Monday included, hence it being called the long weekend, which I assumed was a popular Irish synonym.

So not this weekend, next weekend.

JCX BXC wrote: »
    No, the long weekend is the bank holiday weekend, which has Monday included, hence it being called the long weekend, which I assumed was a popular Irish synonym.

So not this weekend, next weekend.

I think I'm getting confused with the UK :D, I've been talking with UK weather enthusiasts and just happened to have gotten used to this coming weekend to be a Bank Holiday haha :p.

Anyway, this is the summary for the actual Bank Holiday Weekend :P.

On the GFS, it is looking like a mixed bag of a Bank Holiday Weekend. Friday is coming out with a ridge to the southeast of us and building up to Ireland. However, with the pressure quite weak to the west, I think it's suggesting a lot of cloud there and some sunny spells elsewhere. Temperatures are looking surprisingly decent actually with the 6-8c (and even 10c in the localised area) isotherm over the country which would bring temperatures in the high teens. June 2010 started off with temperatures very similar so very decent for the early days of June. On Saturday, however, an area of low pressure comes in from the west pushing across both the UK & Ireland bringing quite a murky, damp day and temperatures going back down to something like 15 or 16c or even lower to 14c in a few places if the rain will be heavy in localised areas. The rain looks like being very patchy though so quite a damp day. This clears Saturday night leaving it clear across the country. The Azores high tries to ridge in for Sunday and it does so for the east. However, another band of rain is pushing into the west. Temperatures up a bit to 17 or 18c. This low pressure reaches eastern regions by midday on Bank Holiday Monday and the rain intensifies. Some places in the west looking like they could get up to 30mm of rainfall if this were to come off. Meanwhile, temperatures are rising which will only make the rain even that more intense.

The ECMWF shows it as an unsettled, cool Bank Holiday weekend throughout with just a small dry interval from Saturday into Sunday.

Don't rely on these. It is 100% likely that these patterns will change on them tomorrow and Saturday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Some good temperatures across the country today, got up to 22.8C here near Tralee ( currently 19.5C )

Ogimet

Max Temps

TgP0dLC.jpg?1

Current Temps

J6uIrPe.jpg?1

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

sryanbruen wrote:
    Still very sunny in the east but it will be cloudier in the west with some rain arriving as the day goes on. Not looking as terrible as people are making it out to be.

I know this is very " will it snow in my backyard" but I'm playing lahinch golf club tomorrow at 3pm and I have paid handsomely for the privilege.

Can I expect some showers with dry spells or torrential rain or what?

Cheers

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,977 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Good skies for most today apart from the South unfortunately . Can see the sea fog off Dublin and Louth.

lrydyb4.jpg?1

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

I know this is a weather forum.
    But I've been watching the worldview satellite pictures from NASA for the last while and Meteorite has a little bit of in his pic above.
    So I'd thought I'd ask maybe here.
    You see those blue green patches on the pictures are those Blue Green Algae ( Cyanobacteria ).
    They don't look like sand banks. But maybe they are.
    I was just thinking with the warm weather and no real storms in the last while that it could possibly be Cyanobacteria.
    Anyway anyone hazard a guess??

screenshot_1.png

Edit: It's not the end of the world if I don't get an answer.
    I just said i'd chance it.:D :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,160 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

9pm reports. Finner,Markree,Newport and Phoenix park still at 21 degrees .Absolutely beautiful evening .

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

wind.png

And like clockwork the 9 to 9 breeze has finished it's shift. It was flat calm at 9am and an hour later it was averaging above 15mph which held for much of the day. This had an effect of keeping temperatures almost 2.0c cooler than yesterday.

temp.png

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

I think I'm getting confused with the UK :D, I've been talking with UK weather enthusiasts and just happened to have gotten used to this coming weekend to be a Bank Holiday haha :p.

Anyway, this is the summary for the actual Bank Holiday Weekend :P.

On the GFS, it is looking like a mixed bag of a Bank Holiday Weekend. Friday is coming out with a ridge to the southeast of us and building up to Ireland. However, with the pressure quite weak to the west, I think it's suggesting a lot of cloud there and some sunny spells elsewhere. Temperatures are looking surprisingly decent actually with the 6-8c (and even 10c in the localised area) isotherm over the country which would bring temperatures in the high teens. June 2010 started off with temperatures very similar so very decent for the early days of June. On Saturday, however, an area of low pressure comes in from the west pushing across both the UK & Ireland bringing quite a murky, damp day and temperatures going back down to something like 15 or 16c or even lower to 14c in a few places if the rain will be heavy in localised areas. The rain looks like being very patchy though so quite a damp day. This clears Saturday night leaving it clear across the country. The Azores high tries to ridge in for Sunday and it does so for the east. However, another band of rain is pushing into the west. Temperatures up a bit to 17 or 18c. This low pressure reaches eastern regions by midday on Bank Holiday Monday and the rain intensifies. Some places in the west looking like they could get up to 30mm of rainfall if this were to come off. Meanwhile, temperatures are rising which will only make the rain even that more intense.

The ECMWF shows it as an unsettled, cool Bank Holiday weekend throughout with just a small dry interval from Saturday into Sunday.

Don't rely on these. It is 100% likely that these patterns will change on them tomorrow and Saturday.

Essentially a ****e weekend :(
    Seems like the only chance the temperatures will be in the high teens is Thursday through Friday?

• Advertisement

Bit of a difference in the forecasted rain on Saturday.
    The GFS has the Low off the south east coast and wexford getting hammered with rain.
    screenshot_1.png

The ECM brings the low up over the country and the north west gets the brunt.
    screenshot_1.png

Now the whole country gets rain from the two models.
    But I just put up the two models at 9a.m Saturday to show the contrast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

Met Eireann are saying dry on Sunday with no mention of rain in the evening?

MidMan25 wrote: »
    Met Eireann are saying dry on Sunday with no mention of rain in the evening?

Who knows but the two models on windyty are showing showers building up during the late afternoon and evening in the southern half of the country especially munster with the wind from the north east.

I know this is very " will it snow in my backyard" but I'm playing lahinch golf club tomorrow at 3pm and I have paid handsomely for the privilege.

Can I expect some showers with dry spells or torrential rain or what?

Cheers

You can expect some light rain I'm afraid. You hope there will be a delay on the rain!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Hottest sleep of the year for me. Was like waking up on holiday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

Was 18.2c when I went to be last last.

Went outside before and it was like being abroad.

Today looks ok too.

26c is still on even though i thought it wasnt

prob 22 or 23 for sligo though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,088 ✭✭✭pauldry

its already 23c and still sunny

im surprised by this

i thought it would be cloudier

24c in a number of spots like rosc and dub

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The sun has finally broke through in Castlebar and blue skies are starting to appear, 22.3C currently but more humid than yesterday at 84%.

Sun is out now in West Clare after a heavy shower, god it's sickeningly humid.

• Advertisement

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Sun is out now in West Clare after a heavy shower, god it's sickeningly humid.

Yeah I'm sweating here. Holy crap this humidity is so unbearable. Am I even in Ireland?

Advertisement