Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from 250cc to 1000cc

• 28-02-2017 11:01pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23 abdulabduler

I have a ninja 250r for over 2 years now and I feel it's time to move up, most of the beauties are 1000cc. Thinking of gsxr 1000, s1000rr or the older r1. I have never ridden a 600cc bike before so is going straight to 1000cc a good idea? My commute involves half motorway and half city approximately 30km and I am early 20s. How difficult is keeping a 1000cc supersport at 50-60 km/h a lot of the time?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

I have a ninja 250r for over 2 years now and I feel it's time to move up, most of the beauties are 1000cc. Thinking of gsxr 1000, s1000rr or the older r1. I have never ridden a 600cc bike before so is going straight to 1000cc a good idea? My commute involves half motorway and half city approximately 30km and I am early 20s. How difficult is keeping a 1000cc supersport at 50-60 km/h a lot of the time?

1st gear on my S1000rr will do allmost 80mph.

2nd gear and cruise at around 40mph.
    3rd gear and low revs will see you do about 50-55mph and no real drama.

An S1000rr is a lot of machine to handle when comming from a 250.
    Same with an R1

I changed the chain and gearing on the R1 and S1000rr to a 520 setup and went with a tooth more on the rear sprockets.

A litre superbike would be a waste of money and machine for your type of commute.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I wouldn't go straight to a litrebike, from a 250.
    You need to progress but IMHO a modern sportsbike of 5-600cc is plenty for a stepping stone they provide more than ample performance for the average rider and you can work on your technique while you get used to the increased performance.
    One other thing to remember is that Insurance may be costly at your age,if you decide to move then get some quotes first.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

Going to go against the grain here. I went from a ninja 300 to z1000sx. Took a little bit of getting used to the weight more so than the power but I'm not someone who goes crazy (until I know the bike at least).

For commuting I doubt you'd need that power but that's up to you. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Have you even got a full license for this change?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,128 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

CJhaughey wrote: »
    IMHO a modern sportsbike of 5-600cc is plenty for a stepping stone they provide more than ample performance for the average rider and you can work on your technique while you get used to the increased performance.
    Aren't they a bit gutless on the road?

The appeal of a litre sportsbike is that you can cruise at low rpm but still have decent shove on demand without changing down.

I say this from total ignorance.

• Advertisement

Lumen wrote: »

The appeal of a litre sportsbike is that you can cruise at low rpm but still have decent shove on demand without changing down.

600 gutless?

Haven't seen that description.

Gutless is a tiny engine in a heavy car.

Not a 600 cc on a light motorcycle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,364 ✭✭✭bladespin

Yer wha?????

Try one, that is all. There is a difference of course but not that much.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

A 600 goes like a rocket. A litre supersports goes like a Cylon basestar doing an FTL jump.

jimgoose wrote: »
    A 600 goes like a rocket. A litre supersports goes like a Cylon basestar doing an FTL jump.

0-60 on an 2005 R1 about 3 secs, 0-60 on a 2011 R6 3.1 secs :eek:

Newer but still.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

bladespin wrote: »

Newer but still.

That's the thing. You're nearly in F1 country on both, and for the money they cost!! :pac:

• Advertisement

That's the thing. You're nearly in F1 country on both, and for the money they cost!! :pac:

My old bus is listed at 3.0 as well :cool:

Gear shifting at the right revs,downshifting at the right revs,suspension setup and riding skill.You will soon see they aint gutless machines.
    And road condition aswell.

Anyway,it looks like we wont be hearing back from the OP.:pac:

Yer wha????? Try one, that is all. There is a difference of course but not that much.

Newer but still.
    Gear shifting at the right revs,downshifting at the right revs,suspension setup and riding skill.You will soon see they aint gutless machines.
    And road condition aswell.

I know a 600 sports bike has loads of power at the right revs, but it makes that power at higher revs than the same capacity motor tuned for torque.

In traffic on my naked 700 I'm cruising along at say 56kph in 3rd gear with 4k rpm and 30bhp on tap, which is just enough for a quick squirt if I need to move up.

On an R6 at the same speed I'd be doing 4500rpm in 3rd and have 22bhp, or 5400rpm in 2nd and have about 28bhp.

That's what I mean by "gutless". I'd love a sports bike but not for constant throttle in slow traffic.

And yes, I should try one. :pac:

On an R6 at the same speed I'd be doing 4500rpm in 3rd and have 22bhp, or 5400rpm in 2nd and have about 28bhp.

That's what I mean by "gutless". I'd love a sports bike but not for constant throttle in slow traffic.

Different styles tbh, doubt most riders would be looking at a 4500 rpm on a 6 tbh, stir the box and wake the beast!

BTW at 45 in 3rd on a R6, you're using 22 bhp and have about 100 available - there's a massive difference.

Different styles tbh, doubt most riders would be looking at a 4500 rpm on a 6 tbh, stir the box and wake the beast!

BTW at 45 in 3rd on a R6, you're using 22 bhp and have about 100 available - there's a massive difference.

Or in other words....keep her lit.:D

I know a 600 sports bike has loads of power at the right revs, but it makes that power at higher revs than the same capacity motor tuned for torque.

In traffic on my naked 700 I'm cruising along at say 56kph in 3rd gear with 4k rpm and 30bhp on tap, which is just enough for a quick squirt if I need to move up.

Ugggh.

Read up the term gutless. Because your original comment as you have proved is not accurate.

Or in other words....keep her lit.

Ooooh always ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 880 ✭✭✭mamax

I wouldn't call any 600 bike gutless, even a bandit 600 can be way too fast for some if you wind it up but from riding many bikes over the past 25 years I prefer bigger cc's
    I'd much rather take the blade out for a spin over anything smaller, I prefer the way a bigger bike feels effortless at say 100mph over the way a smaller bike feels at the same speed

Is it really controversial to suggest that the character of a sportsbike engine is less suited to a motorway/city commute than an engine of similar capacity with less aggressive tuning, gearing and throttle response?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 scarebus03

I recently started out on the direct IBT route and bought a '06 ER-6f 650cc. Great for town, goes like spit and on the open road at 6.5k rpm or thereabouts in 6th will hit the 80 mark (not very often though!). Low end torque is great for city. Shat myself for the 1st month on it but loving it now with the test in 3 weeks time. Was thinking of moving up to a Z1000sx after but would struggle in town methinks.

On an 600 sports bike at 56 kmh youd be at about 4,500 in second gear. they will pull like madness from there esp once you get over 8k.

I know what you mean that your thinking that you need to ride the thing around at 10k revs to have enough power on tap but in reality bring that figure down to about 6k is when it starts pulling

No, just wrong, most sports bikes are just as 'useable' as a commuter, they just have more if/when you want it.

Edit - the commuter style will feel a lot more comfortable in town, worth remembering of that's what the bike is for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

I'd moved up and down in bike size over the years. For that kind of work a 600 was, I found, ideal. Powerful enough to be comfortable on motorways, nimble enough to be useful around town. I'd CBR 600's which all got nicked so settled on a Fazer 600 which was the absolutely perfect tool for the job. What point leaning on low bars in town for all those years...

After the 600 got tired I got a 1000cc version of the same bike. It came into it's on on motorways but was a 'mare around town compared to the 600. Just too heavy for nip and tuck work - which is a vital element in the daily commute.

Ultimately, that large an engine is really only going to give you a bit of ease on motorways - you can be lazier. You're never really going to be making daily use of all that potential. A 600 is a better all rounder for typical Irish non motorway roads in my view.

• Registered Users Posts: 825 ✭✭✭Kev.OC

Hey OP, I had a Ninja 250R for a year, took 4 years off, and a month ago picked up a VFR800.

Obviously there's no comparison when it comes to power. The VFR isn't exactly known for it's sporting prowess, but coming from a 250 it goes like a bat out of hell! I haven't ridden that many bikes, but I imagine going to a 600cc will be a big enough jump to tide you over for a while.

Biggest difference for me was the weight. I use the car for work (all motorway, cruise control FTW), so the bike is purely for spins. I know each to their own, but I'd really hate to be commuting through town on a regular basis on it. Admittedly part of that is that I'm rusty and my slow speed maneuvering leaves a lot to be desired. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

For commuting id rather a cruiser or something with a more upright seating position. IMO a liter bike would get old fast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

For commuting id rather a cruiser or something with a more upright seating position. IMO a liter bike would get old fast

Agreed, trail bikes work well for commuting. High seating position wide bars and narrow behind you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Live65a846d0ee

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Agreed, trail bikes work well for commuting. High seating position wide bars and narrow behind you.

How do they work in small street filtering? I like the ninja because it's small and can fit through really narrow gaps which is vital as some streets I ride through are small and filled with cars from 8am and 3pm

Aren't many cruisers well above the 1000cc mark? There's nothing that dictates a litre bike has to be 'sports'

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Live65a846d0ee

Kev.OC wrote: »
    Hey OP, I had a Ninja 250R for a year, took 4 years off, and a month ago picked up a VFR800.

Obviously there's no comparison when it comes to power. The VFR isn't exactly known for it's sporting prowess, but coming from a 250 it goes like a bat out of hell! I haven't ridden that many bikes, but I imagine going to a 600cc will be a big enough jump to tide you over for a while.

Biggest difference for me was the weight. I use the car for work (all motorway, cruise control FTW), so the bike is purely for spins. I know each to their own, but I'd really hate to be commuting through town on a regular basis on it. Admittedly part of that is that I'm rusty and my slow speed maneuvering leaves a lot to be desired. :pac:

Yes, however I am more interested in sport bikes which are not that different from my ninja in terms of weight, and when you apply all weight reduction methods the difference is even less 20, max 30kg

Advertisement