Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving from 250cc to 1000cc

2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 209 ✭✭Live65a846d0ee

1st gear on my S1000rr will do allmost 80mph.

2nd gear and cruise at around 40mph.
    3rd gear and low revs will see you do about 50-55mph and no real drama.

An S1000rr is a lot of machine to handle when comming from a 250.
    Same with an R1

I changed the chain and gearing on the R1 and S1000rr to a 520 setup and went with a tooth more on the rear sprockets.

A litre superbike would be a waste of money and machine for your type of commute.

I forgot to mention that it's 30km each way. And I have to use the bike for 6 days per week. 5 days 30km journey each way, then 2(same day) days 50km journey each way. The thing about the 250r is that it has to rev up to almost redline to get to any significant speed on the motorway. It's perfectly fine for city but as soon as you get out, you see that it has to work to keep up the speed. So anyone recommend a 600cc or 1000cc bike? I didn't see much choice in terms of 600cc bikes, seems the most suitable would be cbr600 or gsxr600. Size is very important for me as I have to filter a lot in small streets. I am more interested in sports bikes for now. Maybe I will get a cruiser or touring at a later date but for now it is essential for the bike to be small enough so I don't get stuck behind cars. My commute is in Dublin.

1st gear on my S1000rr will do allmost 80mph.

2nd gear and cruise at around 40mph.
    3rd gear and low revs will see you do about 50-55mph and no real drama.

An S1000rr is a lot of machine to handle when comming from a 250.
    Same with an R1

I changed the chain and gearing on the R1 and S1000rr to a 520 setup and went with a tooth more on the rear sprockets.

A litre superbike would be a waste of money and machine for your type of commute.

Stewygriffin, everywhere I read and watched videos I have heard that s1000rr is a very manageable bike, people say that it does not feel like a 1000cc until you want to. I have seen a YouTube called BaronVonGrumble from UK riding superbikes like the BMW, gsxr1000 and r1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭blade1

A cbr600f would do you no problem at all.
    Crazy going from a 250 to 1000 sportsbike imo.
    Also,you say an S1000rr only feels like a 1000 when you want it to.
    Of course you'll want it to, and that's when your experience will leave you down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stewygriffin

Stewygriffin, everywhere I read and watched videos I have heard that s1000rr is a very manageable bike, people say that it does not feel like a 1000cc until you want to. I have seen a YouTube called BaronVonGrumble from UK riding superbikes like the BMW, gsxr1000 and r1

Its a comfy bike to ride but it takes a bit of getting used to,especially if comming from something like a 250cc machine.

Thats a huge step to take.
    Personally I would take it easy and go the 600 route 1st for 6 months to a year,then after that progress on to 1000cc.

I can tell you that my R1 takes a bit more manhandling than the S1000rr does.The R1 is a wider bike than the S1000rr and the riding position is a bit more racey on the r1 than the S1000rr.But I have rearsets to go on the S1000rr next and give a bit more aggressive riding stance.
    I have the electronics backed right off on the S1000rr,as I like to feel what the bike is really doing underneath me

Are you the OP by any chance?

OP who got banned has a Ninja 250 and so do you,and you just joined today.Amazing eh.;)

Crafty devil you.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭XsApollo

How tall are you?
    If you are tall get a 1000cc bike.
    If height isn't a cause for concern and
    you can't choose between a 600cc or a 1000cc, get a 750 GSXR, you won't be disappointed.

If you are leaning towards the 600 for whatever reason, go for the 750 gsxr.
    Pretty much the same size as the 600 but has the extra bit bit of power that you will be more than likely be itching for after a few months on the 600.

I've had 3 myself and I think I will go for another when I get back on again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭jimbev

XsApollo wrote: »
    How tall are you?
    you can't choose between a 600cc or a 1000cc, get a 750 GSXR, you won't be disappointed.

Pretty much the same size as the 600 but has the extra bit bit of power that you will be more than likely be itching for after a few months on the 600.

I totally agree with this the gsxr 750 really does give you best of both worlds

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

How do they work in small street filtering? I like the ninja because it's small and can fit through really narrow gaps which is vital as some streets I ride through are small and filled with cars from 8am and 3pm

In my experience they work really well although the bars are generally wider then a faired bike they are higher than mirrors etc, also the bikes are so narrow and light its easy to move them around plus they have great lock compared to sports bikes.
    They are designed to be ridden around obstacles.

How tall are you?

I dont agree with that.

Im 6 feet 1 inch tall and have long legs,I ride a Ducati 996 during the week,thats a slim and compact superbike,akin to an ApriliaRS 250 or Suzuki RGV 250 in size.Its alot smaller than todays modern superbikes.

I find it perfectly comfy to ride at speed and in town.
    Its no more uncomfortable than the R1 or S1000rr.:)

Thanks all for the suggestions, I will get a 600 or 750 for now as the hp difference on the liter bikes compared to my current bike is enormous, like moving from a smart car to a bugatti.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

How tall are you?

Sorry, there's no link between engine size and bike size.

Many 650s and 750's are the same as litre bikes. Several litre bikes are as small as 600s.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭XsApollo

galwaytt wrote: »
    Sorry, there's no link between engine size and bike size.

Many 650s and 750's are the same as litre bikes. Several litre bikes are as small as 600s.

The bikes he mentions in his first post are a gsxr 1000 or a s1000rr.
    So is the Gsxr1000 the same size as the gsxr600.

Advertisement