Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti announced at GDC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Tried to limit the temps with afterburner but they won't stick once I apply them, stuck at +94 which might explain the 94c I'm hitting :/ I'll try to undervolt it, any suggestions on how much? Sorry for derailing the thread

Probably similar to this (using AMD's Wattman application)
    http://www.legitreviews.com/amd-radeon-rx-480-undervolting-performance_183699

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Was on the phone all morning to Asus, EVGA etc and none of them have any info at all relating to when the good versions are coming out. When I spoke to OCUK they said they were expecting them in May. So I got bored waiting, I ordered an MSI FE one from Scan, they have 7 left in stock if anyone else is looking.

Am I right in thinking the FE variants are all identical except for badges and possible warranty period?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

sold my 1080 and ill probably end up buying one of the water cooled versions of the 1080ti. Tempted to wait and see what amd have to offer but what are the chances they have a single card solution better than a 1080ti??? is their a time frame for their high end gpu release?

I doubt the high end RX Vega will beat the 1080ti but you never know. They are releasing a dual gpu model as well though which will be their equivalent of a titan probably priced close to a grand.

If you are gaming at 4k and using 4k textures then the titan or 1080ti is the card to go for because of the extra memory. The single gpu vega 10 will be more than good enough for 1440p/144Hz though.

I found out something interesting that I didn't know from using Unreal Engine 4 though.

Your monitor can only display a texture at a resolution the monitor can display or else it get's mipped down to a lower resolution. So using 4k textures is pointless on a 1080p screen and even to a certain extend on 1440p unless the texture covers a large object that is only partially visible.

If you can see the entire object that's using a 4k texture at a screen resolution or space that's lower than the texture then it will mip down to 2k or 1k or lower.

This might only be the case with UE4 for performance reasons but it makes sense for all engines to do this.

How is this relevant? If you are gaming at 4k and your going to download a load of high res texture packs which more and more PC games have these days then you need a load of graphics memory. There's games out there using upwards of 8GB already and this is going to get even higher as 4k becomes mainstream.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Sold my own 1080 for 520, tbh was happy with that even though could probably made a little more if I was willing to wait longer

Yeah I was a watching your ad to see what you'd get for it. Problem I have is I've nothing to fall back on if I sell mine now so I'd be cardless until I could get my hands on a TI Plus I don't want a FE version so I have to wait for the custom cooler versions to be released, buy one and then sell my 1080. And if the launch is anything like the 1080 launch we could be waiting a long time for decent levels of stock of TI to be available!

A hassle!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

superg wrote: »
    Yeah I was a watching your ad to see what you'd get for it. Problem I have is I've nothing to fall back on if I sell mine now so I'd be cardless until I could get my hands on a TI Plus I don't want a FE version so I have to wait for the custom cooler versions to be released, buy one and then sell my 1080. And if the launch is anything like the 1080 launch we could be waiting a long time for decent levels of stock of TI to be available!

A hassle!

yup, i was lucky to have a 390x (slightly defective so ive never resold it). Same as yourself though, waiting for the good versions to come out, hopefully it wont be as stupid as the 1070/1080 release

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭Redfox25

Tried to limit the temps with afterburner but they won't stick once I apply them, stuck at +94 which might explain the 94c I'm hitting :/ I'll try to undervolt it, any suggestions on how much? Sorry for derailing the thread

I did it with mine and it made a massive difference.
    Go into afterburner or trix and set the voltage to negative. Try it with -25 and if its stable, try it with -50, then -96 and see if it works. Should drop your temps a good bit without impacting the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

A hassle!

I'm in the same boat. I'll have to buy the new card (if I bite the bullet) and then try to sell the 1080 afterwards.
    Gibbo over at OCUK announced that custom cooler cards will first arrive in the beginning of April with most orders filled by the end.

Noxin wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat. I'll have to buy the new card (if I bite the bullet) and then try to sell the 1080 afterwards.
    Gibbo over at OCUK announced that custom cooler cards will first arrive in the beginning of April with most orders filled by the end.

Any particular version you're looking at ? I'm thinking the Gigabyte one myself cos its a bit cheaper than the others! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

I got my 1080ti FE yesterday. boosts up to ~2000mhz can drop as low as 1900 when temps start to increase but can also go as high as 2088. ram at just under 12ghz. temps never go above 70 degrees in my case atm. not sure why it throttles at all at that temp but it does a bit. fan curve i have never gets too loud for me so thats a bonus but i have put the fan speeds up more and it can be loud. thankfully my temps are reasonable on the lower speeds.

Either way the FE is a beast as is. I can only imagine how nice the aftermarkets will be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Mindfactory appears to have some Inno3D custom cards in stock...

• Advertisement

Any particular version you're looking at ? I'm thinking the Gigabyte one myself cos its a bit cheaper than the others! :)

MSI gaming X. She's a beaut with the 1080 so I'd expect the same for the TI. When in OC mode it would be difficult to squeeze much more juice from it so I don't bother and it's nice and quiet.

Over at the overclockers forum gibbo (high level staff I presume) is saying the ones to go for for the 1080ti will be inno3d, zotac, and evga. Personally hoping to get an evga hybrid water cooled card myself, anyone know how the 980ti + 1080 hybrid cards performed for overclocking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

My go to is almost always Inno's iChill range. Usually among the cheapest models but absolutely rock solid construction with amazing cooling and high clocks out of the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,193 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

What would be the best 1080Ti?

Basically the most powerful?

MSI gaming X. She's a beaut with the 1080 so I'd expect the same for the TI. When in OC mode it would be difficult to squeeze much more juice from it so I don't bother and it's nice and quiet.

Yeah I have one myself, I've OC'd the ass off it though.

Over at the overclockers forum gibbo (high level staff I presume) is saying the ones to go for for the 1080ti will be inno3d, zotac, and evga. Personally hoping to get an evga hybrid water cooled card myself, anyone know how the 980ti + 1080 hybrid cards performed for overclocking

They were pushing the Palit ones alot too in the 1080 range and they seemed to be good cards. My whole pc is red/black so MSi is the best one for me but I like the evga, gigabyte and zotac cards too. Inno3d coolers are bloody huge so you need space.

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭Luck100

Review of the Asus 1080ti is up. First review I've seen for a card that's not Founder's Edition. Draws 15% more power than Founders but doesn't overclock any higher.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/GTX_1080_Ti_Strix_OC/

They were pushing the Palit ones alot too in the 1080 range and they seemed to be good cards. My whole pc is red/black so MSi is the best one for me but I like the evga, gigabyte and zotac cards too. Inno3d coolers are bloody huge so you need space.

same as with the red and black, had a evga ftw 1080 with the rgb set to either red or white (ive 4 sticks of led ram, 2 white, 2 red :pac:)

the ichilll x3 has been reviewed as well LINKY

temps and noise don't seem great...

Gibbo also ****ting on MSI service at the moment on ocuk which is weird. Makes me a little worried about how much effort they're gonna put into their ti cards. Dunno if they're concentrating on Ryzen now or what the story is.

Gibbo also ****ting on MSI service at the moment on ocuk which is weird. Makes me a little worried about how much effort they're gonna put into their ti cards. Dunno if they're concentrating on Ryzen now or what the story is.

I've read from various sources that MSI customer service is hit-and-miss - sometimes, you'll get EVGA-level service, othertimes they try to give you the runaround or even ship you back broken hardware.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Well all I can say is that Ive never seen GTA V look so utterly magnificent in all of my life. Astonishing.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,193 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

When are the 3rd party 1080Ti's going to become readily available?

Headshot wrote: »
    When are the 3rd party 1080Ti's going to become readily available?

Readily? May.

First stock will come at the beginning of April but expect them to be sold out already.

wow evga wow

https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/11GB-EVGA-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-FTW3-Gaming-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_1159717.html

looking for €1000 and its not even their top card in the range, and after all the crap that happened with their pascal cards originally :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

That's obscene!

wow evga wow

https://www.mindfactory.de/product_info.php/11GB-EVGA-GeForce-GTX-1080-Ti-FTW3-Gaming-Aktiv-PCIe-3-0-x16--Retail-_1159717.html

looking for €1000 and its not even their top card in the range, and after all the crap that happened with their pascal cards originally :pac:

Surely a placeholder price; the Palit Super Jetstream & MSI Gaming X are listing at €828.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

^Could be that alright, although several German etailers other than Mind Factory have it at the same €999 price.

Edit: OcUK guy just said it's an incorrect price on their forums. He described EVGA's actual pricing as "tasty". :pac:

i was thinking it might be a placeholder alright but what a placeholder :D

"tasty" hahaha

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭tazzzZ

pascal must be at the wall for core speeds and that. I am running my FE at 2088Mhz core and just under 12Ghz memory. temps never really go over 70 unless im stress testing then it might get up to 75 at a push. fans never above 75% either. Or maybe i just got lucky with my card?

• Advertisement

So the actual EVGA FTW3 pricing is in for OCUK. Details from Gibbo:

So this is the score:

1. You can pre-order directly from EVGA EU as of now.
    2. You can pre-order from OcUK next week (Ben from EVGA will confirm date)
    3. OcUK pricing will match EVGA give or take a few quid either way depending on exchange rate / delivery etc.
    4. EVGA have guaranteed me that customers will receive cards all at same irrelevant from where they order. So if they order from EVGA now or OcUK or a competitor next week, all shipments will be sent at same time. So even though we cannot pre-sell you a card now if you wait and buy from OcUK next week your will still get a card at same time plus of course Haribo, this is what Ben has informed me in a discussion. :)

I think that pretty much sums it up, SC Black & SC2 deliveries in middle of April and FTW3 shall be May 1st onwards. :)

From looking at the pricing, but again Ben shall confirm it looks like SC cards will be £679.99-£699.99 and FTW3 will be around £750 so pretty good pricing!

However Ben from EVGA did tell me the pricing on EVGA and the pricing OcUK shall take pre-orders at next week is ONLY PRE-ORDER PRICING, once stock availability moves to IN STOCK the PRE-ORDER PRICING will discontinue and the prices will go up, which I am unclear as to what those prices are but at a guess SC cards will no doubt be around £750 and FTW3 will be around £800, in line with other competitors.

So it makes sense to pre-order from EVGA, OcUK or a competitor early to get the price advantage, of course hopefully Ben can comment to give more concrete info. :)

Looking at this price, the FTW3 has become a serious contender at £60 cheaper than the Gaming X (although still waiting on confirmed prices for the X)

Advertisement