Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motherboard in HP Pavillion Laptop to be fixed or replaced - is it worth it?

Options
  • 01-03-2017 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭

Hi folks

I have a HP Pavillion laptop which I bought roughly 3.5 years ago. To cut a long story short, I have been told the motherboard needs to be either fixed or replaced. The IT guy advising me does not know how much this might cost.

Would anyone happen to know what it might roughly cost to either fix or replace the motherboard? I need to make a call on whether it is worth my while doing this, or simply abandon ship and buy a new one.

Many thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

We'd need more than that to go on. Asking the above is like saying "my honda is broken, how much to fix?" and nothing else.

• Registered Users Posts: 760 ✭✭✭PGL

ED E wrote: »
    We'd need more than that to go on. Asking the above is like saying "my honda is broken, how much to fix?" and nothing else.

Hi Ed

Unfortunately, I can't provide any more info.

Maybe I should re-word my question: does anyone know how much it would roughly cost to replace the motherboard?

An answer to this question would at least give me a feel for the worst case scenario where the motherboard cannot be fixed

Many thanks

You have the laptop, can you not flip it over and read the model number?

You have the laptop, can you not flip it over and read the model number?

HP Pavillion Touchsmart
    Serial Number: 5CD33732F8
    Model Number: 14 - n055sa
    Product Number: F0G56EA#ABU

thanks Ed!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Just a heads up, when my Dell had motherboard issues last year, I was quoted 500 to repair it, I've since decided to build a PC instead :)

• Advertisement

PGL wrote: »
    HP Pavillion Touchsmart
    Serial Number: 5CD33732F8
    Model Number: 14 - n055sa
    Product Number: F0G56EA#ABU

thanks Ed!

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Hp-Pavilion-14-n055sa-Intel-i5-Motherboard-100-Working-734423-501-DA0U83MB6E0/121726239129

Based on that you're talking €200 to replace it with a used board. The CPU is part of the board so it ups the price.

The alternative is to reflow the existing board if applicable but that can be temporary and as least as expensive.

Its borderline economical to repair IMO.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Hp-Pavilion-14-n055sa-Intel-i5-Motherboard-100-Working-734423-501-DA0U83MB6E0/121726239129

Based on that you're talking €200 to replace it with a used board. The CPU is part of the board so it ups the price.

The alternative is to reflow the existing board if applicable but that can be temporary and as least as expensive.

Its borderline economical to repair IMO.

Hi Ed

Thanks a mill for your reply. It looks like my laptop is no longer on sale in shops (which probably isn't a huge surprise given that I bought it about 3 and a half years ago), and there seem to be very few second hand ones for sale. It looks like it might be worth the guts of €300 (if it was in perfect working order). The other thing I didn't mention is that I have a work laptop which I can use at home, so I haven't really missed my own laptop while it has been out of action.

So to summarise it looks like I'd have to spend roughly €200 on a laptop that I can now do without and it would still only be worth approx €300.

Does anyone know is there much of a market for selling second hand laptops, and if so, would I get much for my laptop in its current state, or would I need to fix it first?

If you're bothered to people often sell for parts on Ebay. Somebody else may have a smashed screen/case but perfectly working guts that they want to keep using. May get €50 that way. You can get more listing each part (left hinge, right hinge, bezel, screen, battery, casing.......) but thats a lot of effort especially for somebody who isnt experienced.

The alternative is drop it to Camara and they'll recycle what they can for African schoolchildren.

Advertisement