Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ryzen new build

Options
  • 01-03-2017 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭

Hi all, I'd like some advice on a Ryzen build. In addition to the normal questions below here are a few things that I have in mind:

1TB SSD (have an 8TB NAS but will still probably want some local HDD storage in addition to the SSD)
    2x16 or 4x16 GB RAM
    Might hobble along on integrated graphics before Vega comes along. Do the Ryzens even have integrated graphics?
    This is not a gaming machine but would be nice if the GPU is decent enough to handle some modern games, say, BF1.
    I want it to run cool and quiet so was thinking about one of the Noctua coolers. Maybe the Ryzen stock coolers will be okay?
    Motherboard with loads of USB ports.
    Presume I'd go with ATX size but have a friend who's put together a powerful machine in a mini-ITX Silverstone rvz02 with an i7-7700K and a 1080gtx.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Am I missing anything glaring?

1. What is your budget? €1200-€1600 - flexible if it's worth it

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? Main purpose would be doing data analysis and visualisation, creating multiple VMs, in the future would be interested in VR, small bit of gaming

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [Yes/No] No

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? [Hard drive/DVD Drive/Case/PSU/etc.] (If possible state brand and model of the parts to ensure compatibility) No - completely new build

5. Do you need a monitor? [Yes/No] Not at the moment

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [1920x1080/1440x900/etc.] [Yes/No] Current monitor is a cheap Samsung 28" 4K. Happy with that at the moment as I'm not playing games but may upgrade in the future

6. Do you need any of these peripherals? [Keyboard/Mouse/Wireless Card/Card Reader/Speakers/etc.] - Not for the moment.

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [Yes/No] No - in 4/5 years if this rig becomes my secondary machine I may want the ability to overclock. At the moment I want a very quiet, cool running machine

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser] Credit Card - suppose I could do Bank Transfer if necessary but would prefer not to

9. When are you purchasing? I guess when Ryzen comes out.

10. If you need help building it, where are you based? South Dublin - might be okay on my own. Deceit offered to help but I haven't been in contact in a while!

Comments

Advertisement