Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

King's Inns BL entrance exams study group for 2017

• 01-03-2017 11:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭

Hi All

I am sitting the entrances exams this year and I thought it might be useful to have a forum to discuss issues and share ideas and tips.

Hope a few are interested. Might see you at the open day this weekend. :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭loremolis

Hi All

I am sitting the entrances exams this year and I thought it might be useful to have a forum to discuss issues and share ideas and tips.

Hope a few are interested. Might see you at the open day this weekend. :)

Can you give me some more info on this please.

Is this a part time or full time course?

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pixieprincess

loremolis wrote: »
    Can you give me some more info on this please.

Is this a part time or full time course?

Hi

It is one year full time or two years part time (every second weekend-Saturday and Sunday). Here is the link: https://www.kingsinns.ie/prospective-students/barristeratlaw-degree
    You can apply if you have an approved degree and complete the entrance exams in Aug. Here is the link: https://www.kingsinns.ie/prospective-students/entrance-examination or if you do not have a degree then you can complete the diploma. Here is the link: https://www.kingsinns.ie/prospective-students/diploma-in-legal-studies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'm trying the exams this year so +1 for a thread!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

I'm trying the exams this year so +1 for a thread!

Good luck.

Remember us here when you make the Bench

nuac wrote: »
    Good luck.

Remember us here when you make the Bench

If I ever make it I'll be hosting an open bar for you lot :pac:

It's been a very long road but make it or not August is D-(five)Day(s).

• Advertisement

Feck it let's make a start.

Five months - five topic areas. Any suggestions for how to break it up?

I remember a suggestion from someone here suggesting work backwards giving yourself a day per topic, then two days etc. back from the exam day. Have the dates been announced yet?

I'd suggest maybe starting with a Con Law topic as it's the mostr fluid and to my mind needs to most depth.

Just had a quick look there - I reckon

Constitutional Law & Tort - Around 30 Topics each
    Evidence, Contract and Criminal around 15 topics each

Bloody glad you started this thread and stopped my procrastinating! Even at 6 months out that's only 180 days and 105 topics!

Here is the reverse pyramid-

I have started Tort and I am nearly finished- but it was an initial run through. I did the prep course last year so I have the 2016 GCD manuals. And I have the Kings Inns Diploma manuals 2016-2017 as a friend has lent them to me. I have been procrastinating a bit but now that it is March I really need to get working.

Just had a quick look there - I reckon

Constitutional Law & Tort - Around 30 Topics each
    Evidence, Contract and Criminal around 15 topics each

Bloody glad you started this thread and stopped my procrastinating! Even at 6 months out that's only 180 days and 105 topics!

It really is a lot especially with the mandatory Q1!!! :0

• Advertisement

It appears you've either a firm grasp of the Search function or you've been around here as long as me :D

What I'm intending on doing is doing my reading, typing up my notes - as condensed as possible - and firing them up here. I'd be delighted for your and anyone else's critique. Are you just doing topics out of the manual or did you break them down another way?

I'm working out of the 2011 Indo manuals :eek: - I might be asking you very nicely if I can buy you a drink in Authur's while you drink it I'll have a date with a Photocopier :pac:

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It's funny that the King's Inns threads around these parts never seem to do as well as the FE1s thread. They just never seemed to gain traction.

I will be happy to help out in here in any way I can as I do in the FE1s thread when the opportunity arises.

It's funny that the King's Inns threads around these parts never seem to do as well as the FE1s thread. They just never seemed to gain traction.

I will be happy to help out in here in any way I can as I do in the FE1s thread when the opportunity arises.

Thanks Hullaballoo that would be very much appreciated!

It appears you've either a firm grasp of the Search function or you've been around here as long as me :D

What I'm intending on doing is doing my reading, typing up my notes - as condensed as possible - and firing them up here. I'd be delighted for your and anyone else's critique. Are you just doing topics out of the manual or did you break them down another way?

I'm working out of the 2011 Indo manuals :eek: - I might be asking you very nicely if I can buy you a drink in Authur's while you drink it I'll have a date with a Photocopier :pac:

I am planning to do it the same way. Reading - highlighting- shortened notes and it I can - I was to fit them on to flash cards. When I get to that I will stick the shortened notes up here. I am just going to follow the manuals. Unless you are thinking of anything?

That is no problem not there are any particular chapters you are interested in I can scan them on to you. If you want to PM me your email I can start that next week then you can print them. I have a scanner app on my phone which should make it handier than normal scanning photocopying.

I agree. The Fe1 thread is jam packed with comments and tips etc. It is very odd.
    Thanks for the help!! Much appreciated.

That's extremely generous of you but I'll limit it to particular areas if I get stuck for material, I'm hoping a combination of my degree notes, old manuals and a sound thrashing from the denizens of this forum will keep me on the straight and narrow.

I'm doing Constitutional Interpretation and Preamble today if that's any use. Notes to follow shortly!

That's extremely generous of you but I'll limit it to particular areas if I get stuck for material, I'm hoping a combination of my degree notes, old manuals and a sound thrashing from the denizens of this forum will keep me on the straight and narrow.

I'm doing Constitutional Interpretation and Preamble today if that's any use. Notes to follow shortly!

No problem. I am hoping to get some notes done next week on Tort so I will share them here. Brilliant I have not even attempted to look at constitution! ;)

So I'm throwing these directly up today, a bit more time and effort in future but I wanted to make a start today, also didn't get Preamble done so just Constitutional Interpretation.

In the Beginning There was the Word

There is a need for restraint in Constitutional Interpretation. Doyle concludes that many decisions appear ex post facto even given these models.

A primary literal interpretation should always be the starting point, and indeed end point if that interpretation suffices, however it almost never will.

DPP v O'Shea - Whether the Constitution barred the appeal of an acquittal.
    O'Byrne v Minister for Finance - could Judges salaries be taxed. Kingsmill Moore J using the literal interpretation to say they could, Lavery J using the same interpretation to say they could not.

Rejection of Literal and Alternatives

Purposive

The purpose of the article must be divined

AG v Paperlink - Political instrument not drafted like the Finance Act. Purposive approach should be adopted. See also Quinn Supermarket v AG. (Jewish butchers case).

Harmonious

See Sinnott - One must try to read the meaning of the words as are intended by reference to the rest. Similar to purposive but more linked back to understanding of the actual provision itself. E.g. Meaning of the work 'Child' in this case.

Side note on English v Irish texts, conflict should not be sort but avoided if possible, if conflict is inevitable Irish text wins. In Sinnott the Irish version shed some light on the meaning of 'Child'.

Historical v Present Day Approach

The will of the framers vs the Constitution as a Living Document*

Historical - Meaning of 'Primary Education' in Sinnott given it's historical context, argument that this approach diminishes over time but historic cases such as Re Art 26 and the Offences against the State (Amendment) Bill 1940 would see the mind of the framers taking centre stage. In this case interment being on the 'books' but not specifically prohibited by the Constitution.

Fundamental Values and Present Day - arguably gains more traction as time moves on. McGee was a product of the time and would not have passed ten years earlier. Norris v AG Constitution as a 'living document' and the difficulty in identifying the 'standards and more' of 1937 even in 1937! More recently Zappone v RC However note Dunne J - What changing consensus? The Civil Registration Act 2004 excluded same sex couples.

*Underscored in this candidates opinion by the political document approach.

The Word and it's Demise - Religious Natural Law

<insert obligatory Dworkin alternative>

Hierarchies

Final Curtin?

Coming back to this - bloody hell it's difficult to find the time but my boards addiction helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 832 ✭✭✭HamsterFace

Thanks for the above Sammy!

I'm going to give these exams a whirl as well but might be making life very hard for myself given that I'm doing another course that runs until May, and given that I'll be out of the country for all of June!

But I get my fe-1s 9 years ago so am hoping they stand to me

• Registered Users Posts: 10 hashtagbanter

Brilliant idea for this thread - was looking for one so glad you started it!!

Anyone interested in the two part-time course (if the exams are passed) or am I dealing with full-timers? ;) :P

• Advertisement

Brilliant idea for this thread - was looking for one so glad you started it!!

Anyone interested in the two part-time course (if the exams are passed) or am I dealing with full-timers? ;) :P

I will be doing the part time course! Cannot wait to get started! :)

So I'm throwing these directly up today, a bit more time and effort in future but I wanted to make a start today, also didn't get Preamble done so just Constitutional Interpretation.

There is a need for restraint in Constitutional Interpretation. Doyle concludes that many decisions appear ex post facto even given these models.

A primary literal interpretation should always be the starting point, and indeed end point if that interpretation suffices, however it almost never will.

O'Byrne v Minister for Finance - could Judges salaries be taxed. Kingsmill Moore J using the literal interpretation to say they could, Lavery J using the same interpretation to say they could not.

Purposive

AG v Paperlink - Political instrument not drafted like the Finance Act. Purposive approach should be adopted. See also Quinn Supermarket v AG. (Jewish butchers case).

Harmonious

See Sinnott - One must try to read the meaning of the words as are intended by reference to the rest. Similar to purposive but more linked back to understanding of the actual provision itself. E.g. Meaning of the work 'Child' in this case.

Side note on English v Irish texts, conflict should not be sort but avoided if possible, if conflict is inevitable Irish text wins. In Sinnott the Irish version shed some light on the meaning of 'Child'.

Historical v Present Day approach

Okay not even finding time to type up notes... gonna have to get better at this. Returning ASAP.

This is great - thanks! You will keep us all very motivated!!

Thanks for the above Sammy!

I'm going to give these exams a whirl as well but might be making life very hard for myself given that I'm doing another course that runs until May, and given that I'll be out of the country for all of June!

But I get my fe-1s 9 years ago so am hoping they stand to me

Hopefully we will have some useful tips and notes to help you along the way!

Same but ALOT to cover. Finding it difficult to get it done in the evenings after work but strangely enjoying it!! :D

Same but ALOT to cover. Finding it difficult to get it done in the evenings after work but strangely enjoying it!! :D

Me too. I am commuting from the midlands to Dublin everyday for work. So I am trying to use that time to study. :)

That is handy but tiring, I really appreciate the student days now when there was not so much balancing - although I don't have any kids so anyone who is studying, working and has children - respect :)

Edit up to be followed by a final edit or two...

I'm trying to use work to study :pac: I'm not allowed paper though so I might try finding a scanning app myself! Even if I was allowed paper and pen I think sitting there with Oran Doyle's book and a KI manual might not go down so well!
    This is great - thanks! You will keep us all very motivated!!

Please do pull it to pieces, the more we correct and discuss the better I think we'll understand it.

Is amending the Constitution a particularly useful topic or should I include it in interpretation and preamble and just look at is a prelim topic?

Open evening, this evening, was pretty amazing.

Mary Rose Gearty was very informative and entertaining. Her accidental barrister vs. Sinead McSweeney's wanted to be a barrister now I'm in PR was fantastic and pulled no punches in regard to this isn't for everyone, especially financially. The course looks absolutely amazing as well. Seems to be amazingly intense with possibly weekly assessments?

14th of August is D-Day BTW. €600 for the exams. 21 Weeks - fook.

• Advertisement

Quick notes on Constitution- hope these help as I know you are working on the preamble. The are bullet points for flash cards. :)

CONSTITUTIONAL INTERPRETATION:

• Literal approach.

• Broad or Purposive.

• Historical Approach – Relationship to natural law and justice prudence and charity

• Natural Law Approach – Relationship to historical approach and justice, prudence and charity

• Justice, Prudence and Charity- Relationship to natural law and historical approach.

• Policy and Principle considerations.

• Reconciling Conflict – Harmonious Interpretation and The Hierarchy of Rights.

THE PREAMBLE

• Justice, Prudence and Charity

• Judges use the preamble to assist in interpreting the constitution.

Articles 1-4

• Read Article 1 and 5 together

ARTICLES 2 and 3 – Effect of new Articles on prior case law. Membership of the Irish Nation.

ARTICLE 4 – The name of the State is Ireland or Eire.

Articles 5 and 49 The Relationship - ARTICLE 5- Internal/External Sovereignty. Byrne and Webb. Crotty on External Sovereignty. Privilege Issues ARTICLE 49 – Prerogatives.

THE PRESIDENT:

• Powers of the President

• Article 26 references procedure advantages and disadvantages

THE ATTORNEY GENERAL – Powers and the relator action. AG Independence.

SEPERATION OF POWERS:

• Criminal functions are a matter for the Courts, including sentencing issues, mandatory or fixed sentences and powers to commute and remit.

• Article 13.6 Disciplinary issues not criminal nor is asset forfeiture.

• Article 15 and delegated legislation – principles and policies, there no power to legislate by way of delegated legislation, administrative decisions do no breach Article 15.

• The doctrine of non-justiciability.

• Judicial regard to the internal workings of the Oireachtas.

THE COURTS:

• The doctrine of natural justice, the principles of audi alteram partem and nemo iudex i.e. The right to fair procedures. Tribunals and separation of powers.

THE OIREACHTAS:

• The right to vote.

• Separation of powers and the internal workings of the Oireachtas.

• Privileges

Samuel I will try work a bit more on Constitution. Just finishing Torts now so will put up my more detailed notes at the weekend.

I'm tidying up my notes on Interpretation, Preamble and Amendments. I'll fire them up on Sat at the latest. You're a whole topic in front of me :eek:

I'm tidying up my notes on Interpretation, Preamble and Amendments. I'll fire them up on Sat at the latest. You're a whole topic in front of me :eek:

I really have only done a light revision so far. I really need to do more indept study.
    I am currently procrastinating and looking a furniture for my study room.
    Torts is really handy. You will fly through it.
    Just saw a case today on a German Shepherd and the control of dogs act. This would fall under malicious torts and trespass. So I will share the link , just in case there is anything that we should keep an eye on for the exam. :)

That's a brillaint idea! Let's keep a good note of current cases etc. What do we think on abortion featuring heavily on the ConLaw exam?

• Advertisement

That's a brillaint idea! Let's keep a good note of current cases etc. What do we think on abortion featuring heavily on the ConLaw exam?

It's definitely one to keep an eye on. Especially with the Repeal the 8th movement. Who knows what could happen between now and Aug. It might be good to keep an eye on the Repeal the 8th bus. In case any case is taken about it.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.thejournal.ie/abortion-pills-bus-3216154-Feb2017/%3Famp%3D1

Okay talk about a day late and a dollar short. I'm really struggling to find time and organise myself. Any tips there would be greatly appreciated! I especially like youtube clips like this one!

I've dumped amendments as I'm going to give that and the abortion discussion a bit more depth.

Constitutional Law – Interpretation and Preamble

Interpretation 

A primary literal interpretation should always be the starting point, and indeed endpoint if that interpretation suffices, however it almost never will. 

Purposive 

Harmonious 

Side note on English v Irish texts, conflict should not be sort but avoided if possible, if conflict is inevitable Irish text wins. In Sinnott the Irish version shed some light on the meaning of 'Child'. See O'Donovan v AG per Budd J. 

Historical v Present Day Approach 

The will of the framers vs the Constitution as a Living Document* 

Historical - Meaning of 'Primary Education' in Sinnott given it's historical context, argument that this approach diminishes over time but historic cases such as Re Art 26 and the Offences against the State (Amendment) Bill 1940 would see the mind of the framers taking centre stage. In this case interment being on the 'books' but not specifically prohibited by the Constitution. 

Fundamental Values and Present Day - arguably gains more traction as time moves on. McGee was a product of the time and would not have passed ten years earlier. Norris v AG Constitution as a 'living document' and the difficulty in identifying the 'standards and more' of 1937 even in 1937! More recently Zappone v RC However note Dunne J - What changing consensus? The Civil Registration Act 2004 excluded same sex couples. 

*Underscored in this candidates opinion by the political document approach. 

The Word and it's Demise - Religious Natural Law 

There has been a decline in the Natural Law approach 
    (I) Lack of consensus as to what it is (religious v reason) 
    (ii) Unease with too close a link to God/religious natural law 
    (iii) It's subjective nature. 
    See TD v Minister for Justice (2001) Courts cannot declare 'socio-economic rights' in contrast to Kenny J in Ryan v AG 'Christian and Democratic nature of the state doctrine'. It's Ironic that this is the very passage within the constitution that aids the changing nature of rights, is now curtailed due to a retrenchment from natural law. 

Hierarchies 

People v Shaw Kenny J "there is a hierarchy of constitutional rights and, when a conflict arises between them, that which rank highest must prevail. This has become reasonably settled especially in the expansion of jurisprudence surrounding Art 38.1. 

Final Curtin, Final Word? 

Curtin v Dail Eireann Per Murray C.J. See essayed point at page 11 in manual. 

The Preamble 

The preamble has not really decided a result but has been hugely influential in some key cases. 

McGee – Prudence, Justice and Charity (this MAY survive the retrenchment from C&D nature of the State) See also Re Art 26 Regulation of Information (SOtSfToP) Bill, restated this. Aide de memoire – Condoms and Abortions! 
    State (Healy) v Donoghue (1976) - ...considered in accordance with the concepts of P, J and C which may gradually change or develop... 
    Social Order – HUGELY important in Murphy v Ireland, A v Gov. AH Prison and C.C. v Ireland. It has been cited to prevent all convictions based on a piece of legislation falling with the legislation.

I think I'm conflating McGee and Healy. Any critique on these at this stage would be most welcome as I'm very close to the start so I'd be delighted to be put right now! :)

That is great Samuel!! I will start putting Tort notes up today/tomorrow. It is really hard to get motivated when the weather is so nice. Mentioned this group to some people I know that are doing the BL. Hopefully we will get more people involved.

I am currently going over the separation of powers and the executive power and the judicial power.

I am going to get some notes up tonight on that.

I have notes on Tort but I just want to add a bit more in before I put them up.

Introduction to the separation of powers:

Topic One: The Separation of Powers

· The 3 arms of Government are: the legislative; the executive and the judiciary and each are independent of the other. Commentary: David Gwynn Morgan – the courts tend to be most protective of their own function and will not countenance interference with same.

· Article 15.2.1 invests the Oireachtas with law making powers.

· Article 28.2 and 29.4.1 invest the executive with power, including, power of foreign relations.

· Article 34.1 and 37 invest the judiciary with power in the courts.

· There will only be a potential breach of Article 37 if the body in question is exercising a judicial function (which can be seen when a body issues a punishment, adjudicates on a matter (contest) or makes a ruling for liability). Certain Tribunals do appear to involve the determination of a contest, imposes liability or inflicts a penalty. The courts are far from consistent on this matter. The status of administrative bodies such as the soon to be defuncted EAT is unclear.

· Article 37 clearly highlights that only courts can exercise criminal functions.

· It has been defined that a criminal function involves a trial and/or a conviction/sentence (therefore a Tribunal cannot carry out these functions).

· The courts have opined that the matter of a fixed or mandatory suspended sentence is a matter for the executive.

· Civil forfeiture and disciplinary functions are not criminal functions.

· Article 37 does allow the other bodies to exercise limited judicial functions, there is case law on the limited functions under Article 37.

· The executive/legislator cannot interfere in the process and discretion of a court, in such a manner as to remove the court’s discretion or determinative power.

· Non-justiciability – There are certain cases that the courts are not permitted to adjudicate on as they are more suited to the legislator/executive, these issues are deemed “non-justiciability issues”. The court has stated that if it was to rule on these issues it would in fact, be breaching the separation of powers doctrine. These issues can include: Defence, Foreign Affairs, National Security and Political Questions, to name but a few.

· The courts are reluctant to rule on matters of national emergency (which is covered under Article 28) or the internal workings of the Oireachtas.

· Article 15 permits the creation of delegated legislation by way of SI (statutory instrument), rule, regulation, order or bye-law. This delegated legislation must not empower the delegated body with the powers of the legislature, as this will fall foul of Article 15.

· Commentary: Hogan and Morgan have indicated 2 approaches: the delegated body must not be given the power to legislate (even if this is referred to in Statute) and it must not go beyond the “Principles and Policies of the parent legislation”. The executive can act by way of administrative circular or direction without infringing Article 15.

· The courts must not legislate, however, in practical terms they do legislate by way of creation of unspecified personal rights flowing from Article 40.3.

· The courts will not interfere with the internal workings of the Oireachtas unless, the Oireachtas makes findings affecting the good name of a non-member, or with a member when the Oireachtas is exercising a statutory power.

• Advertisement

Finishing off notes on the separation of powers and the executive power (including Article 15). So I will put them up asap.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 window2walls7

Hi, this is a great idea!! I did the exams last year & due to starting late & being a good few years out of college I fell down on 2 of them so I'm slowly getting back into study again. For last year I worked off 2014 Independent Colleges notes. This year I am considering doing a full course with one of the providers.

I'm not sure if this is against forum rules & if it is please delete it, but would people be interested in meeting to discuss preparation tips, topics to prioritize, etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Niceguyeddie99

I too Am trying this Summer, ater a few decades away from the law. Which subjects did you go down in? how was the overall experience of the 5 day marathon?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 window2walls7

I went down on Constitutional (took a gamble with topics) & Contract (not enough exam question practice). Exam question practice is vital. The 5 day marathon was tough. It really isn't possible to study anything during the exam week. The first few days are ok but Thursday and Friday were a struggle. You will sleep amazingly the weekend after though!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭Hippo

Just to butt in for a moment:

I sat the exams a few years ago, and I'm sure nothing has changed. So...

Bear in mind that you'll be asked to advise clients so your answers sometimes have to be approached in a slightly more practical fashion than the usual degree/diploma questions - pay close attention to exactly what's being asked, e.g. advise whether it's worth bringing an action under the specific circumstances of the case;

Get your caselaw as up-to-date as possible, especially in an area such as Constitutional;

Topic selection is more or less impossible given the nature of Q1 in each paper - if you don't do ok in that you probably won't pass the exam; know something about everything;

Sit all the exams, even if you feel you did poorly in an early one - it's a marathon not a sprint etc. If you sit all of them and put up a decent show you've an excellent chance of getting through, most people do;

Relax and keep your head. In a sense these exams are harder than the FE1s, in that you can't afford to fail one, the tone is a bit different and then there's Q1! On the other hand I think the FE1s are overall tougher in terms of specific questions and marking.

Good luck to everyone. The BL is for the most part an excellent course and I'm sure you'll all be enjoying it soon enough.

So, may you live in interesting times.

I'm having to bow out for this year, but at least I get to go FT next year.

I wish you all the very best of luck and I'm devastated not to be sitting them with you this year. For any of you that have to join me for 2018 entry please do stay in touch!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Niceguyeddie99

My Lord, Constitutional is a behemoth. Vast and tangled. Just trying to get around Fundamental Rights.

Did Some Artivel 38.1 last night.... ties in nicely with Evidence... Which is always good.

Healy, Heany, Gormley et al...

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Make sure what you're covering is actually on the syllabus for the exam. Might seem straight forward but he used to alternate between only having framework aspects vs only having rights aspects on the exam.

It's an awful waste covering something like separation of pets when unnecessary!

• Advertisement
Advertisement