Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Skys the limit...... or maybe not!!!

• 01-03-2017 11:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi All.

So I've recently taken up a bit of running and figured I'd post here and would appreciate any advice that people might feel like adding.

I've turned 39 and was reasonably active, playing soccer 2-3 times a week until about 6 months ago when I picked up a nasty knee injury.
    Said injury means football is out the window sadly.

I've been running about 6 weeks now consisting of a Parkrun and a run at least another 2 evenings.
    I haven't any plan as such yet but am gradually upping the distance and pace each week.
    I started out doing the local Ballina parkrun with a first time effort of 26.29 and have improved every week to a 23.51 last week.
    The imprivements the last last 2 week have been only a few seconds compared to big chunks initially.
    Based on this i've upped my distance during the week and generally try to do at least 8k twice per week at a steady pace to start with and if Im feeling good picking up the pace for the second 4k..
    I went out Monday and did 9k in 46.42 @ 5.06 min/km and was pretty puffed at the end as theres a steep hill at the finish but otherwise felt ok during the run. I always seem to feel wrecked around the 4k mark but then feel fine after I get through that lull.
    Only issue I have is my left calf has been a bit sore after some runs but after the 9k is sore to the point I think I'll have to rest it for a few days.
    Im going to get my gait analysied and invest in proper shoes as I just have a pair of adidas I picked off the shelf at the moment.
    Im hoping thats the source of my sore calf as I am getting pretty fed up of injuries at this stage.

Thanks for reading and hopefully in 6 minths ill be injury free and preparing for a marathon :-). Or even a 10k and Id be happy

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

Hi gabe.

You'll get advice from much experienced runners on here than me but i just wanted to say welcome. It sounds like you are off to a great start. For now, i'd advice you to focus on running regularly and not worry about speed/pace. If you try to increase speed and distance at the same time you are asking for an injury and considering you already have a sore calf :eek: I'm guessing you're putting a fair level of effort into the park run so keep the other 2 runs at an easy/conversational pace. The most important thing is consistency starting off. Best of luck :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 94 ✭✭gabe1977

Thanks Ariana.
    I probably was trying too hard and was looking at times rather than just get out for a run and enjoy it.
    I'd taken the route on trying to improve the time for whatever distance every time I ran it and used this as a barometer as to my progress.
    Going to take it slow and steady for the next while and hopefully my calf will settle down.
    I should probably have added that I am probably carrying at least a stone excess weight so that wouldnt help matters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭ariana`

gabe1977 wrote: »
    Thanks Ariana.
    I probably was trying too hard and was looking at times rather than just get out for a run and enjoy it.
    I'd taken the route on trying to improve the time for whatever distance every time I ran it and used this as a barometer as to my progress.
    Going to take it slow and steady for the next while and hopefully my calf will settle down.
    I should probably have added that I am probably carrying at least a stone excess weight so that wouldnt help matters

Oh definitely easy does it on those mid week runs, if you think you're going slow then go slower. The running will help drop the lbs too just don't fall into the trap of thinking you can eat extra because you're running, you really can't unless maybe if you're marathon training or such :rolleyes:

ariana` wrote: »
    Oh definitely easy does it on those mid week runs, if you think you're going slow then go slower. The running will help drop the lbs too just don't fall into the trap of thinking you can eat extra because you're running, you really can't unless maybe if you're marathon training or such :rolleyes:

I have made changes to my diet but nothing dramatic.
    I replaced the sausages, rashers etc with weetabix and a slice of toast for the breakfast.
    Also no more sugary snacks when working night shifts. No dramatic weight loss but definitely have toned up so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭mbarr

Welcome Gabe, great start to your running career :)

I agree fully with Ariana's advice, racing your training runs is a sure road to injury. I'm a relatively new runner too but improvement in my experience is measured in months and years rather than weeks. Slow it down, maybe pick a target and follow a plan with prescribed paces and the sky really will be the limit :)

• Advertisement

WEDNESDAY 1/3/2017 - 8K in 46.44 @ 5.47/km.

So i decided to take it at an easy pace due to the increased pain in my left calf.

Legs felt very bad starting out but after 3K started to free out a bit.

- I was happy enough with my pace after as I didn't worry about pace at all while running.
    - Delighted that aerobically I felt great and at no stage felt even a bit breathless.
    - Lesson learned that I've definitely being going too fast too quick up to now so will have to look at a bit of structure to my running from here on in.

I'm going to rest until Saturday and going to do the Ballina Parkrun. This'll be my 7th one this year so just going to run steady out and if I feel good the last 1K push on then

So I haven't been doing so great at logging my progress so I'm just posting a brief overview of my month so far.

My niggly calf is still causing a bit of discomfort but I paid a visit to the physio and am working on sets of exercises to strengthen my weak calves.

March 6-12 : 3 runs = 21km Total.

I took it nice and easy this week and am slowly building the distance up to an 8k on Saturday.
    I'm averaging around the 5:00/km pace and feeling pretty comfortable at that.
    Any increase in pace above that seems to aggravate my calves so keeping it steady for now.

March 13-19 : 4 Runs = 28.5km Total. and a new 5K PB.

I did 3 runs this week (8k-7k-8k)at a comfortable average @ 5:10/km average and felt good on my 4th run of the week so tried to go for a fast 5k.

Very happy with a PB 23:10min @ 4:37/km.

I haven't been able to do a parkrun due to work/college/kids but am looking forward to my next one as I feel good over this distance now.

March 20-26 : 3 Runs = 24.5km Total

So I tried my first 10k and I made it round in 53.01 @ 5:18/km.

Very happy with that first effort and went at a very comfortable pace and definitely have a sub 50min in me with a little effort.

I did at 6.5k and an 8k also this week average @ 5:40/km so happy enough with that total.

March 27th-April 3rd : 4 Runs = 28.4km Total and new Parkrun PB

Monday 27th - 7.1km @ 5:21/km : Thought a run on Enniscrone beach would be a good idea but how wrong was I. The sand was really soft about half way and I was knackered by the time I got back.
    Still it a beautiful setting for a run when the evenings are as nice as this one.

Wednesday 29th - 7km @ 5:07/km.

Friday 31st - 8km @ 4:58/km/and 1.3km cool down: Surprised myself with this one but said I'd go for a little increased pace as I couldn't do the parkrun on the Saturday(again!!!!!)
    First time I covered 8k in under 40mins @ 39.32.
    Delighted as the times are tumbling without me consciously going after the times.

Saturday 1st - Ballina Parkrun - New PB - 22.56 @ 4:39/km

So a change of plans meant I could run the Parkrun after all so I had a tinge of regret about pushing harder than usual the night before but I was also buoyed by my fastest ever 8k so I set off thinking why not go for a 5k PB too.

I took off probably slightly too quick and was feeling it as there's a deceptive hill from 2.0km to the 2.5km turnaround.
    The legs weren't feeling great and I was breathing heavily. Still about 400m from home I looked at mty watch and knew a sub 23min was there if I gave it a push so I emptied the bit I had in the tank and came over the line in 22.56min.

Delighted with that as when I started running 10 weeks ago I didn't think for a moment I could achieve this time.

Next target is the Kilmovee 10k on easter weekend and a sub 50min for that.

Advertisement