Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lock up your bikes!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    Well, this would be unbelievable if it wasn't Dublin/Ireland...
    Street theft is not a uniquely Irish problem.

Still, I'm all in favour of catching them and rendering them to soap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

But Your Honour they come from a disadvantages family and background and sure it's society's fault they have to steal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,848 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Lumen wrote: »

True, though I'm not sure it's so open and brazen, in a lot of other European countries i'm sure that gangs of youths roaming the streets thieving would soon be picked up by the law...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

There was steam coming out my ears watching that.

Just film the bloody thing in landscape mode. Laaaanndsscape! *shakes fist at sky*

Also, I am upset about the bicycle theft scumbaggery. This is the typical mode of action for this particular type of thief. More determined ones will do the twist thing, but this kind of 'yank the bike and hope for the best' action really shows up the ineffectiveness of low quality u-locks. Normally, the more strident amongst us would call for some kind of medieval torture to punish the scrotes at this point. I'd like to suggest a couple of hours chained up in the stocks. Their friends may try to yank them free sooner if they so wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,769 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

check_six wrote: »
    There was steam coming out my ears watching that.

Just film the bloody thing in landscape mode. Laaaanndsscape! *shakes fist at sky*

I had a good laugh at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

tomasrojo wrote: »
    I had a good laugh at that.

The excessive blurring is not helpful. If Crimecall is able to show cctv of crime on national to looking for the publics' help in identifying people, why do videos like this always have to be blurred so much?

Lumen wrote: »

Bike theft is very high in the Netherlands. Much higher than here, I'm told. I don't know either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

At least it shows poor people can still afford to live in the city center.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭harringtonp

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Bike theft is very high in the Netherlands. Much higher than here, I'm told. I don't know either way.

Lived there for 4 years and the vast majority of bike thefts are a different sort of thing.

Somebody gets off a train, couldn't be arsed walking home, strolls along the bike racks where there are literally hundreds of banged up bikes, picks one that is unlocked and rideable, cycles to within a couple of hundred metres of home and dumps the bike.

Have seen guys do this broad daylight and to be honest at the time it seemed fair enough game to me. There are regular clear outs of these racks too by station staff (who cuts locks if they have to) as people often use them as their personal garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

What sort of lock comes off as easily as the one on the bike that is robbed towards the end of the video????

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

That rack is at the top of Capel St. Most of the cyclists who park there are students at the English language colleges to the right of the screen.

The bikes are mainly BSO's bought second hand from a yard directly behind the camera ( across from cineworld ) for next to nothing.

I doubt the owners would be too bothered, and from the video it looks like those teenagers cant be too bothered nicking them either.

FAKE NEWS

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Hungrycol wrote: »
    But Your Honour ....
    You're watching too much US television Col.

Address an Irish judge with 'your honour' and you'll invoke his wrath! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    True, though I'm not sure it's so open and brazen, in a lot of other European countries i'm sure that gangs of youths roaming the streets thieving would soon be picked up by the law...

I presume you haven't travelled much so.

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    The excessive blurring is not helpful. If Crimecall is able to show cctv of crime on national to looking for the publics' help in identifying people, why do videos like this always have to be blurred so much?

No one has been charged yet and what looks like theft is only alleged theft.
    Same goes for videos posted to boards.ie, they would get removed.

How would you address a judge? I would have thought your honour would be appropriate.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

Kaisr Sose wrote: »

Is it just me, or was it not really apparent that a theft took place..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

Rubbish video. I hate that crap with the blurring on either side as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,332 ✭✭✭secman

Tombo2001 wrote: »

It's just you, the pigeon like necks on them, constantly moving , eyeing to see who is watching is a dead giveaway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Effects wrote: »

How would you address a judge? I would have thought your honour would be appropriate.
    'My Lord' or simply 'Judge' is the norm here. Gardai and court legal staff always use 'My Lord'.

Tombo2001 wrote: »

I'm sure the person taking the video could also see what was going on better with their own eyes.

These marauding bike gangs are easily spotted on the streets, feeling courageous in their large numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

'My Lord' or simply 'Judge' is the norm here. Gardai and court legal staff always use 'My Lord'.

Lord?

FFS

Lord?

FFS

Definitely don't say those words in that order...

No one has been charged yet and what looks like theft is only alleged theft.
    Same goes for videos posted to boards.ie, they would get removed.

I understand that but read what I wrote again. What can these cctv videos be shown on national tv looking for people to ID suspects? The suspect is unknown and thus uncharged...same as that video. Ok, Crimecall is relying on Garda evidence that a crime did take place but what about innocent till proven guilty on Crimecall ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Starrrry bud' would normally get your average Dublin scumbag off with a suspended life sentence for murder in the CCJ :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Arcade_Tryer

Gardai and court legal staff always use 'My Lord'.
    Jesus Christ...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

flattery will get you everywhere.

Americans seem to use "Judge" to address the judge. The "your honour" appellation is a feature of British dramas. Don't know if they really use it in the UK, but always assumes they do.

EDIT:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Judge

All you could possibly want to know. The US varies between "Judge" and "Your Honor". "Your Honour" used in circuit courts in the England and Wales.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭hungry4k

Your Honour and My Lord shouldn't be used in Irish Courts. Only Judge or Breitheamh or the Court should be used.

Though it is true to say the Gardai get it wrong a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

tunney wrote: »
    What sort of lock comes off as easily as the one on the bike that is robbed towards the end of the video????
    Ones in 2 euro shops, or that come in "kits" from the likes of argos. I see ones for about €10 on their own in argos which would probably be popped open easy enough.

If all you happen to have for some reason, is some cheapo lock, then at least wrap it tightly against the railing so the bike cannot be moved. If it is slack they can yank the bike and its the momentum that is breaking the lock open. Same principle as smashing something with a sledgehammer, if you can only have the hammer 2mm away from something you are hitting its hard to damage it.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Rubbish video. I hate that crap with the blurring on either side as well.

That is because the absolute dingbat filming it held the phone upright instead of sideways. So you can either have blurring or massive black bars. Or of course people could just hold their phones the right way so it's watchable.

Advertisement