Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Not getting to kiss your loved ones goodnight.

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭__Alex__

It's upsetting a lot of people Niamh. Whatever its intention.

I know, I hate the "Yeah, well it raises awareness" argument, as if that cancels out the negatives. And we are all well aware of cancer by now. Same with the "I want to get cancer" ICS campaign. Not to be too "Won't somebody PLEASE think of the children" but someone I know who works in a related field was getting calls from people about their children who had lost a parent or other relation to cancer getting quite upset about the ad. :(

Oh and before anyone says anything, I'm not getting offended on behalf of other people. Without getting into it, I am right in the thick of it.
    Well it's raised awareness of the cancer if people are discussing it so maybe it is a good campaign, poor taste or otherwise. Any publicity is good publicity and all that.

We are all well aware of cancer by now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭Fred Swanson

This post has been deleted.

Imagine being someone diagnosed with a terminal cancer, logging on to boards and being reminded that very soon, they won't get to kiss their loved ones goodnight. Classy stuff.

Yup, exactly. I was reading a spiel by one of the "masterminds" behind the ICS 'I want to get cancer' campaign and he said something like 'Well, somebody who is terminally ill with cancer has far too much on their plate to be bothered about this advertising campaign', basically saying that the people who were getting offended were far removed from the issue. I just thought "How fúcking clueless can you get?". Anyone who has had somebody close to them terminally ill knows the emotional anguish they go through. Just because they have lots of medical treatments happening doesn't mean they don't feel things emotionally too. I just couldn't believe that this dude was pontificating on behalf of terminally ill people and deciding that they wouldn't be bother by the ads. That whole campaign annoyed me, it seemed to be more about the advertising agency being clever-clever and looking to scoop up industry plaudits for being so daring. And the ad agency behind the OCF campaign seems to want a piece of the action too. Will this now become a competition to see who can be more "ground-breaking"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Sight See wrote: »
    No offence but that is just plain incorrect. I have worked for several charities similar to this over the past 2 decades in various roles including marketing and awareness and the fact people are even talking about it would have us happy, we certainly would not be looking to 'amend it' to keep a small few happy or even that laughable thought of withholding payment :D And, how many people are genuinely upset by it? The majority of the 'user base'? No. We wouldn't care nor would our advertising partners care to see a small few disgruntled.
    When I worked for what is now the RSA, we first started showing those graphic car crash ads in the late 90's, the outrage was far worse than we expected, we even received death threats to the offices on a daily basis but would never even consider 'toning it down' if we knew people were riled up enough to talk about it.

Happy that people are talking about it? Would you be happy that said talk is turning people away from supporting the charity? That ad campaign did just that. The adage that there's no such thing as bad publicity is bunkum.
    I supported, and raised funds for this charity for years, having lost a brother to OC, but I'm done with them now.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,066 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Sight See wrote: »
    No offence but that is just plain incorrect. I have worked for several charities similar to this over the past 2 decades in various roles including marketing and awareness and the fact people are even talking about it would have us happy, we certainly would not be looking to 'amend it' to keep a small few happy or even that laughable thought of withholding payment :D And, how many people are genuinely upset by it? The majority of the 'user base'? No. We wouldn't care nor would our advertising partners care to see a small few disgruntled.
    When I worked for what is now the RSA, we first started showing those graphic car crash ads in the late 90's, the outrage was far worse than we expected, we even received death threats to the offices on a daily basis but would never even consider 'toning it down' if we knew people were riled up enough to talk about it.

What a seriously sickening attitude. This is not just about a few disgruntled people.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

What a seriously sickening attitude. This is not just about a few disgruntled people.

It's about a "few people" since most of the users of boards haven't cared to comment on this thread.
    I've not seen the ad but like all ads, I assume it's aimed at getting a message across.
    If we were to all not say something because it might upset a few people , nothing would be said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

What a seriously sickening attitude.

You've never experienced someone in marketing/advertising before :confused:

Money, money, money. A-Ha!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭B_Wayne

It's about a "few people" since most of the users of boards haven't cared to comment on this thread.
    I've not seen the ad but like all ads, I assume it's aimed at getting a message across.
    If we were to all not say something because it might upset a few people , nothing would be said.

Plenty who might be upset by this that simply haven't responded to this. The ad upsetting people and affecting mental health is saddening to see from a charity. Don't give a **** is a terrible attitude from a charity in general.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,480 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

How incredibly disingenuous.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

out of the total number of boards.ie users how many actually visit the feedback forum? Your idea that it only upset a "few people" is nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭pq0n1ct4ve8zf5

I had been keeping Adblock turned off for boards, that ad and more specifically
    the patronising disingenuous joke of a response prompted me to turn it back on. If boards couldn't give a fcuk about this kind of feedback from the userbase I don't give a fcuk about helping them generate revenue.

Any dope would have been able to predict that there might have been negative feedback from a deliberately provocative ad like that, letting it slide til the weekend was over and then doing an "Oops I did my best, not sure if anyone but me has read this feedback but sure the ad's over now, we're cool right?" pally wally response is really annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

If boards couldn't give a fcuk about this kind of feedback from the userbase I don't give a fcuk about helping them generate revenue.

The more people coming to this realisation the better tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

out of the total number of boards.ie users how many actually visit the feedback forum? Your idea that it only upset a "few people" is nonsense.

Until you can prove otherwise my point stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,440 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Prove what exactly? that it has upset more than a few people? If we take "a few" in its normal meaning that means 2 , 3 or some other number less than about 5. There are more than that number of people complaining on this thread. Was there anything else you needed me to prove?

Look at the many people thanking posts on this thread. More than a few.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

I wonder if anyone here has contacted the charity to make them aware of this thread. If so, very bad form that they haven't responded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,058 ✭✭✭whoopsadoodles

I wonder if anyone here has contacted the charity to make them aware of this thread. If so, very bad form that they haven't responded.

I got a message from someone the day after boards' pathetic response showing me that they had not only contacted the charity, but the charity had acknowledged and thanked them for bringing it to their attention.

So there are two of them in it.

It's a case of "if we don't respond it will go away by itself". Typical of boards now, but disappointing for the charity themselves.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

I had a response typed up for this yesterday but didn't get to post it so this is a shorter version.

The campaign was sent to us as is and we ran it for free for a good cause so it wasn't a case of taking money and running. We didn't dream up the title ourselves, it was part of a wider campaign by the charity. If we'd been tasked with coming up with the title we'd have given more time to thinking about how the community would perceive it than we did at the time and that was a mistake.

However we/I have learned from this for future campaigns and I don't plan on us finding ourselves in the same position again.

We do care about feedback, it is invaluable to us and the reason we still have a Feedback forum open to all users.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement