Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter beetroot

Options
  • 01-03-2017 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,383 ✭✭✭

I have some beetroot in my raised bed. It's been growing there over winter. Nice and leafy but the tuber part is more like a small/medium carrot.

Anyone know if its worth leaving them there or should I just bite the bullet and pull them up, to make way for some summer crops?

I'm thinking, if they haven't grown by now, they never will.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

If they have survived through the winter they are likely to try to make seed as soon as the weather warms up. I'm not going to dig up my left over beetroot until I have something ready to plant in the space.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

Would they not be very tough at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭macraignil

baaba maal wrote: »
    Would they not be very tough at this stage?

The last few I ate was a few week back but slow roasting them still made them nice to eat. A bit of thyme and garlic adds to the flavor. I sold big beetroot to restaurants before that they cooked by confit method but I have read its best to use beetroots when they are small. The restaurant just found the bigger ones easier to prepare. Slow cooking is probably needed when they are older.

Advertisement