Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hosting Question

Options
  • 01-03-2017 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys.

I recently purchased a .com domain and hosting from register365.com

I also have a number of domain names from godaddy.

The .com i registered and am currently hosting does not suit the theme of my site. So say for instance my site is currently called thissite.com and I have xyz.com over at go daddy.

Is there anyway I can bring xyz from go daddy and host it over on register instead of the .com i currently have.

Sorry if I'm not wording this right.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

Domain registration and hosting are two separate things. You can register with company "A" and host on company "B" and the other way round. On the domain registrar account you point the DNS to your hosting account.

We keep most of our domains with one or two registrars, mainly for admin reasons and because we like their control panel and there are no transfer fees. Then we just point the DNS to where the site is hosted.

Some hosting companies seem to suggest you are best to transfer the domain registration to them, but this is not really the case and we find it much better to keep them apart.
    Hosting discussions are not allowed on Boards. if you have any specific questions you can pm me or ask your registrar via their chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

M.T.D wrote: »
    Domain registration and hosting are two separate things. You can register with company "A" and host on company "B" and the other way round. On the domain registrar account you point the DNS to your hosting account.

We keep most of our domains with one or two registrars, mainly for admin reasons and because we like their control panel and there are no transfer fees. Then we just point the DNS to where the site is hosted.

Some hosting companies seem to suggest you are best to transfer the domain registration to them, but this is not really the case and we find it much better to keep them apart.
    Hosting discussions are not allowed on Boards. if you have any specific questions you can pm me or ask your registrar via their chat.

Thank you that makes a lot of sense. So what I'm really wondering is

At the moment my site www.zzz.com is hosted and registered by register365.com now i have a domain on godaddy.com that is say www.yyy.com

What I want is to build a website put the data on register365 and when i go to www.yyy.com it still shows my work on register365.com but I suppose in order to drop this I need to remove zzz.com and put in yyy.com in its place

In a nutshell my hosting, i suppose points to zzz.com how do I get it so that my hosting is no reflective of yyy.com or can you not host multiple domains with the one hosting package.

GRRRRR i know what I want to say I just can't word it correctly. Apologies....

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

How many domains you can host depends on your hosting package.
    "cheapy" hosting could be one domain and no emails and more expensive packages allow a lot more.
    Assuming your hosting package allows, add your new domain as an "add on" domain to your hosting account and point the DNS, then you should be able to view each website with its own domain name.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,010 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

M.T.D wrote: »
    How many domains you can host depends on your hosting package.
    "cheapy" hosting could be one domain and no emails and more expensive packages allow a lot more.
    Assuming your hosting package allows, add your new domain as an "add on" domain to your hosting account and point the DNS, then you should be able to view each website with its own domain name.

You're most helpful. upon checking my account it seems I have the ability to host 5 domains...now I just need to figure out how :)

I've added the domain as an addon domain via c-panel...any idea how I go about pointing the DNS...I assume I need the name servers from register365 of my current website, then I go to the hosted website and add in these name servers.

Then I create a wordpress template within the subdomaain and anyone going to the website will just get pointed to the wordpress/site that is actually my addon domain?

Advertisement