Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Low ball offer

Options
  • 01-03-2017 1:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭

My parents are looking at a house that has been the market for 15 months and no offers have been made. The price was dropped by 25K a few months back. My parents plan to offer 45K below asking, but I think they low ball them and offer 75K below asking.

Doss anyone have any recent experience in these types of scenarios.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭Barely Hedged

My parents are looking at a house that has been the market for 15 months and no offers have been made. The price was dropped by 25K a few months back. My parents plan to offer 45K below asking, but I think they low ball them and offer 75K below asking.

"Recent experiences."

You offer considerably lower than asking if the property is over valued.

Some properties have been, are and will be over valued. It's a property market

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭JimsAlterEgo

is it a 100K or a 1.5M house? no harm in offering what they want, what are similar in the area going for?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

It might be still on the market because the vendor can only accept a certain amount so low balling them may be a waste of your time and theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 846 ✭✭✭April 73

Anyone who has a house on the market for 15 months isn't going to accept an offer so far below asking.
    Anyone who is serious about selling can sell. It doesn't take 15 months unless there is a reluctance to sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

April 73 wrote: »
    It doesn't take 15 months unless there is a reluctance to sell.
    Agreed. And if they accept, get a good surveyor, as if it's on the market that long, there's a chance there's a reason it's been there that long.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,683 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

We've seen a few houses drop prices recently but more to drum up interest, they already had offers above the new asking price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Well we viewed the house at the end weekend and it's very impressive. All that needs to be done is redecoration, but the house is in pretty good condition none the less.

My folks are talking to the bank and subject to selling our current target house, they are going to match asking as the latest offer is 10K under asking.

My parents are looking at a house that has been the market for 15 months and no offers have been made................................

My folks are talking to the bank and subject to selling our current target house, they are going to match asking as the latest offer is 10K under asking.

so an offer materialised in the last few days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Augeo wrote: »
    so an offer materialised in the last few days?

That's what we were told on Saturday. There was an open viewing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Homer

The market will generally dictate the price. If the house has been on the market for a long period and hasn't sold then usually there's a reason and that reason could well be price! We recently bid on a house at €50k under the asking (house was up at €400k) but had been up nearly 2 years. They came back €25k higher and we are now somewhere in between those two prices! So it is possible to negotiate significant discounts in certain circumstamces. If it's a nice house in a sought after area (schools/public transport links/etc) maybe not so much!

• Advertisement
Advertisement