Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wired & wireless home alarm

Options
  • 01-03-2017 1:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi there. I just have a quick question.

We moved into a house a few years ago with a wired HKC alarm fitted. Since then some zones have “died” i.e. some connections have developed faults.

We are now looking to upgrade our system. I was wondering if it would be possible to get a system that could use both the existing wired sensors as well as adding new sensors wirelessly? We are currently stuck with choosing between GSD and HKC.

Just wondering if anyone had any input on this before I start calling vendors / installers?

Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Most good systems are hybrid now so you can use existing wired and add wireless if required.
    GSD would give you a lot of options if you want to upgrade to apps etc. We install these most days of the week.
    With HKC you would be committing monthly payments if you wish to use apps etc.
    See the sticky for much more details.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭judge30

DonkyDonk wrote: »
    Hi there. I just have a quick question.

We moved into a house a few years ago with a wired HKC alarm fitted. Since then some zones have “died” i.e. some connections have developed faults.

We are now looking to upgrade our system. I was wondering if it would be possible to get a system that could use both the existing wired sensors as well as adding new sensors wirelessly? We are currently stuck with choosing between GSD and HKC.

Just wondering if anyone had any input on this before I start calling vendors / installers?

Many thanks in advance

What model HKC panel do you have? if you have a 1070 Hkc panel ,you wouldnt have to change the panel at all just the faulty devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 DonkyDonk

Thanks for the replies there. On mobile and unfamiliar with the app so apologies if I'm a little clumsy with my replying.

Judge: the alarm guy came to the conclusion that the wiring was at fault not the sensors. Possibly chewed through by a rodent. We are looking to upgrade our system anyway as I want to monitor and set our system remotely.

KoolKid: thanks for the info a hybrid system was what I was hoping for. Have already read through much of the sticky before posting but will check it again.

Thanks again everyone

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

No problem come back to us if you need anything more..
    I'd say you have a HKC 6/10 or 8/12 . Does it have a male voice when setting/unsetting?
    My first choice would be the GSD i1070 . This will allow you more flexible options if you are going the road of apps & self monitoring.

Thanks for the suggestion KoolKid.

Yeah it has a male voice when setting / unsetting.

I'll read up on that model but from their website it looks like the one for the job alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

With both systems you would be committing to monthly payments if you wish to use dual path.
    Its what most installers would recommend over just using a Wifi connection.

Thanks altor I was already aware of that.

Both systems are capable of duel path. While Broadband can be brought down so can GSM be jammed. The big difference between the two is in the event of all comms being down how quickly you will be notified.
    GSDs poll fail time can be set as low as 5 minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭Evolution1

With the HKC system it's €59 for the year. The big difference between the HKC and gsd system is that you will get a voice notification Alert on your phone aswell as an SMS while using the wifi card/gsm on the HKC system. The GSD will just send a push notification so if you don't have credit you will not be alerted until you top up or connect to wifi.

The HKC 10/70 is a hybrid panel. It also supports Point ID sensors so you can split up your wired sensors and give them individual names. You can't do this with the gsd unless you go all wireless. if you are upgrading some of the existing wired sensors point ID sensors would be worthwhile. HKC make a very reliable system which is why so many installers use it.

As I said above both systems are capable of duel path using GSM. If GSM is blocked you won't get text alerts either.
    HKCs price you quoted above will notify you of all comms down after 8 hours. For €84 it is 90 minutes.
    GSD does the above for just under €40.
    Good point on the voice call. GSD can also do this via a PSTN line. That's 3 separate comms paths. So in the event of a network fail and GSM jam you will still be notified and still get the comms fail after 5 minutes.

• Advertisement

As I've said 25 mins over their wifi card on basic plan..

Still 5 times slower & around 50 percent dearer.
    Have you any link to those specifications.?

KoolKid wrote: »
    Still 5 times slower & around 50 percent dearer.
    Have you any link to those specifications.?

Ive tested it myself. It's on the website

I'm not questioning , just looking for a link to that specification. I posted the plans, as they are shown on securecom, and didn't see anything.
    I'm sure the link would help other users also.

Sorry I'm a little confused here. Can they both send an SMS alert? I find the idea of SMS alerts far more reassuring than push notifications on an app.

At the moment GSD are testing text also.
    Text would still be prone to IP being down and/or GSM being jammed.
    Another down side of text is you have no control of it sitting in a message centre. They are sent out blindly and can be held if a network is busy and. Try sending a text on new years eve. It may take hours but your network connection will still be up.
    The option of voice alerts over a third path would be more secure, as now 3 different paths must be down in order to block notifications.
    If we are down to an attack of this level it's really down to how quick you get a notification.
    Siemens Vanderbilt SPC and GSD are the quickest when it comes to poll fail notifications when available comms paths go down.

What if I'm in an area with poor data coverage? Then Will I receive a push notification on an app?

No you won't. But with HKC you'll receive your text. You can always get the HKC gsm as a backup. Only €59 for the year even if you have both wifi card and gsm. Total piece of mind

If there is no data coverage no. But you will get the voice call.
    Also important to note push notifications and voice alerts can also be sent to multiple users. Also different comms paths can be sent out simultaneously to all users.

If I want to add family members do they have to pay for the app as well or is it all covered with the single payment?

• Advertisement

You can add other users on GSD regardless of family or not.
    You can also download as many apps as you wish as they are free.

Sorry just saw KoolKid's response there. I'd take a voice call in place of an SMS alright.

As I always say....
    Text 5 of your family or friends in the middle of the night and see who responds.
    Phone all their phones and see how many jump.

Yeah that's plenty reassuring alright. I'll get a hold of the manuals and read up on these now.

Thanks a million for the help everyone.

You'll get a voice alert on your phone with the HKC .. you get a voice announcing " system alarm " until you acknowledge the notification. You can also have a physical phone call from the panel which will give you the exact alarm event if you wish. This can be done using a landline or the basic gsm unit. If you decide you want both the app and the voice call. This can be done using the HKC gsm sc. HKC will look after the SIM card. Again if you don't want the app you can use the basic GSM ( top it up yourself ) to get a voice call or your standard phone line.

You won't get that with GSD as it doesn't have voice zone names.

https://youtu.be/GNvPGUqTQUc

No problem Donkydonk. If you need anything more give us a shout.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

DonkyDonk wrote: »
    Thanks altor I was already aware of that.

Glad you do as many are not made aware of this option.
    Just reading through the threads on here you will see that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Secure Solutions

KoolKid, can you give more info on text with GSD?
    We use GSDi 1070 panel with dual path communicator on high risk and wifi on low risk installs, great solution but wasn't aware of text feature.

We are involved in testing so I can't say too much at the moment but GSD will send text messages alert for Alarm Activation, Smash and Grab and Communication Path Failures.
    I'll let you know more as soon as I can.

• Advertisement
Advertisement