Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bedtime stories (that don't suck)

Options
  • 01-03-2017 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭

I've been reading a ladybird classic fairy-tale collection to my 2-year old for a few weeks, and all of them are problematic in some way. Aladdin's a lazy do-nothing who magic-lamps his way through all his problems; Puss-In-Boots threatens, murders and lies his way to "living off the fat of the land for the rest of his days"; the lady characters are simple-minded, prince-hungry saps; there's dead parents strewn around as far as the eye can see... it goes on.

At least Gretel's quick wits and murderous opportunism is to be admired, but the father-character in that tale would rather murder his children than stand up to his wife.

Does anyone have any recommendations for fairy-tale style collections that avoid these tropes? Stories that carry solid lessons, good characters to model etc?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

beans wrote: »
    I've been reading a ladybird classic fairy-tale collection to my 2-year old for a few weeks, and all of them are problematic in some way. Aladdin's a lazy do-nothing who magic-lamps his way through all his problems; Puss-In-Boots threatens, murders and lies his way to "living off the fat of the land for the rest of his days"; the lady characters are simple-minded, prince-hungry saps; there's dead parents strewn around as far as the eye can see... it goes on.

At least Gretel's quick wits and murderous opportunism is to be admired, but the father-character in that tale would rather murder his children than stand up to his wife.

Does anyone have any recommendations for fairy-tale style collections that avoid these tropes? Stories that carry solid lessons, good characters to model etc?

Those are the fairytale tropes! You can get versions which are closer to earlier tellings of the tales. These can be a bit grim and gruesome for a 2 year old. Personally I like a bit of grim and gruesome.

You could try out some that turn fairytales on their heads, like Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes. Again you're not going to get much of a lesson in that.

If you're looking for good characters, try the Julia Donaldson books. There's Zog the dragon, who becomes a flying doctor rather than a princess grabbing fiend. The Gruffalo, Superworm, the Snail and the Whale, all of those have a nice moral centre.

That said, my kids' favourite book was always "I want my hat back." which is nasty and hilarious.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭chocfan

Not fairytales but I love the books by Benji Bennett, based around his son Adam

"Before you sleep" and "When you were born" are big hits here. He also has ones where Adam is off having big adventures which are nice too if you want more of a story

• Registered Users Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭cbyrd

Julia Donaldson books are great, they have a lovely rhyming element as well as great stories.
    The Roald Dahl are brilliant but might be a bit old for 2 years. I love the revolting rhymes, it was on tv over Christmas and the boys were repeating word for word almost!
    The newer ladybird books are more young child friendly, slightly shorter and easier read.
    The likes of the 3 pigs, little red riding hood, the 3 Billy goats gruff, and the little red hen.
    In saying that, I'm reading X-Men books to my 5 and 7 year old boys and my 2year old girl loves sitting on my knee while I'm reading. Interrupts a lot though pointing out the characters which annoys the boys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Guess I was expecting ladybird fairy-tales to be something they aren't. I never noticed how poor they were, until I really looked!

We have a good bit of Julia Donaldson and some of the other suggestions, and agree they're great. And do look forward to introducing Roald Dahl's "Rhymes" to her :)

Also love the books by Chris Haughton ("Shh we have a plan" etc). His artwork is fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Das Kitty wrote: »
    Those are the fairytale tropes! You can get versions which are closer to earlier tellings of the tales. These can be a bit grim and gruesome for a 2 year old. Personally I like a bit of grim and gruesome.

You could try out some that turn fairytales on their heads, like Roald Dahl's Revolting Rhymes. Again you're not going to get much of a lesson in that.

If you're looking for good characters, try the Julia Donaldson books. There's Zog the dragon, who becomes a flying doctor rather than a princess grabbing fiend. The Gruffalo, Superworm, the Snail and the Whale, all of those have a nice moral centre.

That said, my kids' favourite book was always "I want my hat back." which is nasty and hilarious.
    My little girl loves I want my hat back too! It's a real grower that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Anything by Anthony Browne is a hit. I loved his books as a child and now mine do too.
    The day the crayons quit/came home is another hit. Is that by Oliver Jeffries? I think others of his are good too.
    All the Eric Carle ones.

We don't really 'do' fairytales, we go to the library once a week to supplement our home stash and that way we don't get too stuck on having to read the same ones over and over and over and over......!

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭DoctorBoo

I recommend Yasmeen Ismail's Nothing!

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭supersheeps

"A Dublin Fairy tale" by Nicola Colson is going down really well with my 2 and a bit year old at the moment. Quite simple, a bit quirky, and she loves it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

kandr10 wrote: »
    My little girl loves I want my hat back too! It's a real grower that!

There is another one of those too- called "this is not my hat" or something along those lines. My 2 year old loves both of the Hat books.
    We have The Snail and the Whale which is a great book. Oi Frog is another great one.
    Actually any of the Julia Donaldson books are a winner and the Pip and Posey ones too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

"A Dublin Fairy tale" by Nicola Colson is going down really well with my 2 and a bit year old at the moment. Quite simple, a bit quirky, and she loves it!

Ah, I have that but was keeping it for when she is a bit older and was going to produce it at the end of the summer. She'll be close to 3 then and Im hoping to have a few Saturday afternoons in Stephens Green and I hope she recognises it in the book when we read it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Do you like Neil Gaiman? Terry Pratchett? they both have awesome kids books.

also -

Good Night Moon

Aliens "An owners guide"
    Monsters "An owners guide"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Neil Gaiman's Chu books for kids are really good. I got my friend's little fella (2 1/2 year old) 'Chu's Day at the Beach' for Christmas and it went down a storm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

We love Julia Donaldson in this house. My girls are a bit older so we're on to Enid Blyton (The Magic Faraway Tree series is a BIG hit here) and Roald Dahl at the moment.

Advertisement