Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Burgman 400 opinions (and/or your opinion on 2017model)...?

• 01-03-2017 2:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

I'm thinking of a Burgman 400, for commuting 100km day, 70% on motorway, 30% city. Your opinions on these scooters?

I would usually commute on my Tiger 800 if I'm doing those sorts of distances, but it's a bit too big when you hit the city. I use my Ninja 250 for inner city stuff when I can, which I love, compared to the Tiger 800. So much more nimble and less hassle in terms of parking, filtering, risk, etc.

Space, ease-of-ride, practicality & nimbleless are important to me, hence why I'm particularly interested in Burgman 400s: seem nimble-ish (never ridden one), and has 62 litres under-seat storage (don't think anything can beat that). Also, I like the idea of no gears, twist-and-go (am I getting old?)...

The 2017 Burgman model loses 20 litres of storage, but looks much sportier, with some other minor improvements (bigger front wheel, for example), etc. Not sure about being an early adopter on a brand new model though...

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

rat_race wrote: »
    Also, I like the idea of no gears, twist-and-go (am I getting old?)...

Yes.:D

I'm thinking of a Burgman 400, for commuting 100km day, 70% on motorway, 30% city. Your opinions on these scooters?

I would usually commute on my Tiger 800 if I'm doing those sorts of distances, but it's a bit too big when you hit the city. I use my Ninja 250 for inner city stuff when I can, which I love, compared to the Tiger 800. So much more nimble and less hassle in terms of parking, filtering, risk, etc.

Space, ease-of-ride, practicality & nimbleless are important to me, hence why I'm particularly interested in Burgman 400s: seem nimble-ish (never ridden one), and has 62 litres under-seat storage (don't think anything can beat that). Also, I like the idea of no gears, twist-and-go (am I getting old?)...

The 2017 Burgman model loses 20 litres of storage, but looks much sportier, with some other minor improvements (bigger front wheel, for example), etc. Not sure about being an early adopter on a brand new model though...

Thats a long commute on a bike, I think its a good idea personally. Haven't riden a scooter in years but really comfortable, quite a different experience than a bike that has gears, much more relaxed drive I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,086 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Plus you get to wear a cool apron like the French. Keeps the weather off. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Thats a long commute on a bike, I think its a good idea personally. Haven't riden a scooter in years but really comfortable, quite a different experience than a bike that has gears, much more relaxed drive I think

Well it's about 50km each way...not so bad. I'm thinking some audiobooks and a fairly relaxed ride and it'd be fine. Thanks for the input.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Rat race...... would you consider Honda NC range with duel clutch transmission. I commute your distance and it's perfect for motorway and city. How much is a new burgmann?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭rat_race

Rat race...... would you consider Honda NC range with duel clutch transmission. I commute your distance and it's perfect for motorway and city. How much is a new burgmann?

New Burgman 400 (now the "old model") is €9350 (I know, right), and new 2017 model is around €10750 or something like that.

Bit of an insane price really...I like the NC range, and a similar price too. Storage isn't great though...thanks for the suggestion though, I'll re-look into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

New Burgman 400 (now the "old model") is €9350 (I know, right), and new 2017 model is around €10750 or something like that.

Bit of an insane price really...I like the NC range, and a similar price too. Storage isn't great though...thanks for the suggestion though, I'll re-look into them.

10 grand is stupidly expensive for what you're getting. Doyle's are selling brand new 2017 GSX-R 750's for 12,500 for Christs sake.

Obviously you don't want one of them but for less than 2 grand more that's what you can get. Ones either very cheap or very expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

CaptainR wrote: »
    10 grand is stupidly expensive for what you're getting. Doyle's are selling brand new 2017 GSX-R 750's for 12,500 for Christs sake.

Obviously you don't want one of them but for less than 2 grand more that's what you can get. Ones either very cheap or very expensive.

Why OP's choice of steed - or it's price - upsets you so much escapes me.

Unless the GSXR comes in auto, upright and with good weather protection and cheaper insurance it's price is irrelevant.

OP - I'll be looking at similar this year, and I'd throw in the Kawasaki/Kymco J300, and Yamaha TMax / XMax range.

I have (had) a nonfunctioning Aprilia Atlantic 500 and big scooter riding is great. Civilised comfy, easy. Good for pillions too.

I wouldn't replace my sports bike or cruiser with one mind you, that's bike's for you: one is never enough.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭CaptainR

galwaytt wrote: »
    Why OP's choice of steed - or it's price - upsets you so much escapes me.

Unless the GSXR comes in auto, upright and with good weather protection and cheaper insurance it's price is irrelevant.

OP - I'll be looking at similar this year, and I'd throw in the Kawasaki/Kymco J300, and Yamaha TMax / XMax range.

I have (had) a nonfunctioning Aprilia Atlantic 500 and big scooter riding is great. Civilised comfy, easy. Good for pillions too.

I wouldn't replace my sports bike or cruiser with one mind you, that's bike's for you: one is never enough.

Not upset at all, just comparing two Suzuki's price. I just can't fathom why a big scooter is nearly as expensive a sports bike made by the same company. I could have just as easily compared it to a GN125 and wondered why its a quarter of the price of the Burgman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'm actually thinking that my next bike will probably be a large (650+) scooter.

I don't care that I can get a Gixxer etc for two grand more, after owing a few sports bikes I can honestly say that in my opinion they're shit to daily commute on, totally impractical, uncomfortable, expensive to run and a thief magnet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,782 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

CaptainR wrote: »
    Not upset at all, just comparing two Suzuki's price. I just can't fathom why a big scooter is nearly as expensive a sports bike made by the same company. I could have just as easily compared it to a GN125 and wondered why its a quarter of the price of the Burgman.

That's cos you're equating 'scooter' and cheap. Cheap quality, low tech etc.

A modern big scoot is expensive to design, and possibly even more to manufacture than a conventional bike. Big bikes invest heavily in speed, power etc. All good. Scoots take as many hours to bear on transmission, packaging, nimbleness, weight, etc. Boring two 300cc cylinders in a crankcase is the same in either a scooter or sportsbike. Look at a fully specc'd TMAX 530. .....plenty of tech- and R & D there...

The days of scooter = cheap are long gone. People don't want junk anyway.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement