Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Born & Baptised Cork 1965 (Birth registered in Dublin)

Options
  • 01-03-2017 2:52pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17

Hi All,

Some papers relating to my 1965 adoption recently resurfaced during a clean-up so I'm wondering how difficult it might be to obtain my original Birth Cert. based on the info. I have?

My Baptismal Cert. states that I was Baptised in Blackrock, Cork having been born the previous day (does this suggest Bessborough?)

I was collected from Dublin by my adoptive parents in May, 1965 (aged 4 months) but the official adoption date may have been a few months later.

The adoption was arranged by the Catholic Protection and Rescue Society of Ireland (now Cunamh I think).

Thanks for reading! - Any advice welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

Hi Cork Link.
    You are the same as me i was born in Sacred Heart Mother and baby home, Blackrock, Co Cork in 1969, adopted to Dublin at 3 months old through CPRSI now Cunamh.
    Your birth would have been registered in Cork and your Adoption would have gone through Adoption Board in Dublin, That is why all of us have Dublin as place of birth on Adoption certs.
    To get your orignal Birth cert you need to visit GRO research room in Werburge St Dublin up near christchurch and go through the books for your year of birth by date of birth looking for surname and maiden name of mother the same reg district Cork.
    Have you anymore information like first name at birth, mothers first name etc.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Cork Link

Thanks Kathy,

That's the kind of thing I was hoping to hear.

Unfortunately, I don't have any other information but I'll definitely be visiting the research room at Werburgh Street.

I'll also get in the queue for obtaining non-identifying info. from Cunamh.

Wasn't there a change from 1965 to 1966 whereby listings included the dob from 1966 on but until then they were simply grouped together in quarterly sections?

Yes, Date of births are only from 1966 upwards, 1965 in qtrs Jan to mar, April to june, July to sep and oct to dec.
    It might mean pulling a few certs before you hit right one. The staff are very helpful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 17 Cork Link

Thanks again Kathy,

I'm going to contact Cunamh about seeking first names at least, or indeed full birth certificate details if there are no obstacles.

Did your Baptismal Certificate state the actual place of Baptism, i.e. Blackrock, Cork or was I just lucky?

Maybe I should mention that the Baptismal Certificate I have, although lifted from Church records, is obviously in my adopted name.

Hi cork link.
    Cunamh will not give you full names,i did get first names on my non id info but that was over 10 years ago.
    We would have been Baptised in the little church on the grounds of the sacred heat convent by the priest from the local blackrock church, when adopted our baptismal cert would be altered to our adopted name but orignal would still be in book.

• Advertisement
Advertisement