Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Time Buyer

• 01-03-2017 3:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi guys, just wondering if anyone has an advice...
    In 2004 we bought our first house and over the next 5 years we have been targeted by the local gang and threatened us very badly. We did try to sell the house but we didn't have even 1 viewer due to the area which was very rough( we did invest a lot of money in the house so we thought will be our house forever).After the 5th year, we did get in touch with a local counselor and with his help, we were able to sell the house to Dublin City Council. As we were afraid for our lives ( literally) we moved out into a private accommodation and left almost everything ( except our clothing) in the house.
    Now, after 8 years living in private accommodation we are thinking to buy our house again and there is one thing that bugs me.
    I was once a first-time buyer( for less ten 5 years) and forced to sell my house, will I qualify as first-time buyer if I want to take a mortgage again ( although I didn't benefit the 7 years of tax-free stamp duty).
    Please help with any advice.
    Many thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 aleca

OSI wrote: »
    Simply, no.
    Thank you very much ( and thank you to take your time to read and reply).

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

If it helps, the only real benefits to being a FTB are the reduced deposit requirement of 10% on the first 220k. However, banks can deviate from this in some cases so they might treat you in the same category, even though youre not an FTB.

In terms of tax etc, the only benefits I can see to being an FTB is that they can get money back when buying a newly developed house under a government scheme. I dont think that would apply to you im afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 aleca

If it helps, the only real benefits to being a FTB are the reduced deposit requirement of 1
    I see, thank you very much far taking your time to reply.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

You've owned a property before, so no you're not a first time buyer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,062 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Why would you want to buy the house back if you were afraid of your lives the first time.....

• Advertisement
Advertisement