Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Credit card repayment difficulties

• 01-03-2017 3:29pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29

Hi, today I received a letter from my bank PTSB re credit card repayments (that I am having difficulty repaying) that states they have agree to freeze interest and charges and I just have to pay x amount for 24 months to clear the balance.
    Now the problems I have with this is that they are only freezing the amount from this month.

1, approximately 10 months ago I started reducing the balance by paying e20 every couple of weeks through the banks online facility.
    With no warning they cancelled the credit card thus I couldn't make online payments to reduce balance.

2 , approximately 6 months ago I filled out and sent off the SEPA direct debit mandate on back of my credit card statement to repay my cc. At this point I believed the bank would deduct the stated amount from my bank a/c but I still received cc statements stating no payment had been made! I rang PTSB who confirmed they received dd mandate but they couldn't understand why payment had not been taken from my PTSB current account and used to reduce cc. They said they would look into this problem and contact me, 4 or 6 weeks later still no contact from bank, I phoned them and eventually got through to them where they confirmed I couldn't pay by dd as the account was in arrears, the lady apologised and said I should have been told this!
    The bank said the only way to make the repayments was over the phone but they're impossible to get through to at the best of times!
    3, Through all this time I was still being charged interest and charges every month, I could now no longer afford to pay back as I couldn't pay over the phone so I told the bank we needed to negotiate a repayment plan.
    4, in November I was given an "assessment of means" form to complete which showed I we were struggling financially an barely breaking even every month. They received this from back in late November. Now they want me to pay back all interest and charges up to this month.

Basically is there anything I can do to get a write-down or reduce the balance as I believe it wasn't entirely my fault the repayments were not being made when I could afford, today I can't afford to pay,
    Thanks and sorry for such a long message.

Advertisement