Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Flickering LED Light

Options
  • 01-03-2017 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭

I have a fused unit like this

SOCKET_zpsajvhh9mq.jpg

and I just noticed that the led light is flickering, as if its moving left to right. I'm guessing the led could be on its way out or has a loose connection.

The unit itself is working fine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

It's probably a neon lamp and not an LED, it's fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Chet T16 wrote: »
    It's probably a neon lamp and not an LED, it's fine.

Yeah neon is what we always called them. I never knew they were meant to flicker though.

How does neon differ to led in these indicator on/off situations, just my over curious mind - how things work.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,098 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Are they actually neon lights though? Neon lights are gas filled lights

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Yes, they are all neon. Flickering is normal, nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Steve wrote: »
    Yes, they are all neon. Flickering is normal, nothing to worry about.

that is a relief thanks, as its on my gas boiler:D They don't all flicker or is it only when their on all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Just to further explain:

The neon lamp in them is extremely low current. It's the same as is in a 'phase tester' screwdriver that you put your thumb on the end of to complete the circuit. It indicates the presence of mains voltage at low cost (i.e. unit usage) and it widely used.

The gas and / or electrodes degrade over time which leads to flickering.

Advertisement