Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hiking - Limerick, Cork, Kilkenny, Dublin

Options
  • 01-03-2017 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi all,
    I'm traveling to Ireland in March and would like to go on a decent hike. I was looking at Carrauntoohil but it looks like it would be a few hour drive from any of the cities I'm staying in (see above) - is it worth it, or is there a closer option to Limerick, Cork, Kilkenny or Dublin? What is the weather like for climbing in March?
    I have decent experience hiking, would like something 5-6 hrs round trip, decent elevation gain and views.
    Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭ShadyAcres

Hi meesh, if you're looking for proper hikes around Limerick/Cork then you could try the Galtees situated near Mitchelstown . There used to be a hostel in the area but that closed a few years ago. The Ballyhoura hostel in kilfinane is about 20 mins drive from the galtees. 25 euro a night but really nice with a lovely couple running it. There's also really nice hikes in the Ballyhoura region although not as high as the galtees or carrantoohill.

There's also the knockmealdown mountain range but that's a little far out from Limerick.

Also I just saw your going to be in Dublin, loads of nice hikes around there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 meesh99

ShadyAcres wrote: »
    Also I just saw your going to be in Dublin, loads of nice hikes around there too.
    Awesome, thanks! Any specific suggestions near there? I have a hotel in each of the cities but I don't mind driving a little for a day trip

meesh99 wrote:
    Awesome, thanks! Any specific suggestions near there? I have a hotel in each of the cities but I don't mind driving a little for a day trip

Sorry I should have added in my post, if you drive to the next county down from Dublin there is the Wicklow national park. Very beautiful place with lots of quality hikes. It depends what you want really. If you want to do a linear loop around glendalough or do you want to plan your own route using a map and compass in which case you can buy a scaled 1-50000 map of Wicklow (map sheet 56)for about 8.40 euro for a paper version in easons. (Bookshop in Dublin).
    You can also buy digital GPS maps and download them to your phone using an app called viewranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

March is not the best month for hiking as it tends to be somewhat wet, and the ground tends to be wetter. You could be lucky though and get good weather. Either way you should have a pair of boots and a good raincoat!

Re Dublin/Wicklow:
    Djouce from Crone woods car park has a decent track the whole way and can be done in any weather.
    Pier Gates (https://goo.gl/maps/j9hWA7iNY6E2) to Lugalla and Knocknaclohogue has superb views. You can also do Djouce from that side. You can reach this from Dublin via the 'Sally Gap' which is a super drive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

If you are going from Limerick to Kilkenny or vice versa youcould get some hiking done in the slieve Feilim mountains in east limerick/mid Tipperary. Between the villages of Murroe, and Silvermines

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭EndaHonesty

meesh99 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I'm traveling to Ireland in March and would like to go on a decent hike. I was looking at Carrauntoohil but it looks like it would be a few hour drive from any of the cities I'm staying in (see above) - is it worth it, or is there a closer option to Limerick, Cork, Kilkenny or Dublin? What is the weather like for climbing in March?
    I have decent experience hiking, would like something 5-6 hrs round trip, decent elevation gain and views.
    Thanks for any suggestions.

5-6 hour round trips;

From Dublin; Wicklow - Glendalough, Glenmalure, Lugnaquilla.

From Kilkenny; Mount Leinster, Commeragh Mountains, Coumshingaun.

From Cork; Galtee Mountains, Knockmealdown Mountains.

From Limerick; Moylussa, Keeper Hill, Galtee Mountains.

Advertisement